Thread: Extreme Urinary Frequency When Stressed?

Default Extreme Urinary Frequency When Stressed?

I have had a few experiences, particularly when upset or stressed, where I had to urinate every ten minutes. Every time I would go a large amount, probably close to 1 1/2-2 cups, and this would continue for a couple hours. When this happens (which is only very occasionally), I worry about dehydration because I lose so much fluid.

Does this sound at all normal?

Not familiar with what you are experiencing, but as someone with asd, I know my body goes out of whack and my brain loses "control" when I'm stressed and I start exhibiting autistic behavior that I can't control. Since you indicate that you might be autistic yourself, it's possible that it causes whatever hormone that causes urine production out of whack and hence what you see.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

--sf

Okay did a quick Ask Dr. Google while waiting for the bus. The condition is called polyuria, and can be caused by stress according to a study by the FDA but is very uncommon (44/42k stress patient, or about 1 in 1000). The hormone ADH also known as Vasopressin is what causes the body to reabsorb water during urine production. Apparently it has a function with corticotropin-releasing hormone to regulate the release of corticosteroids during stress, but the cited study is too obscure for me to give a synopsis as to what causes it could have wrt your condition if any.

Anyway you could try to look yourself under renal functions and the few keywords I gave you. Hope it helps. ^^)/

--sf

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    I have had a few experiences, particularly when upset or stressed, where I had to urinate every ten minutes. Every time I would go a large amount, probably close to 1 1/2-2 cups, and this would continue for a couple hours. When this happens (which is only very occasionally), I worry about dehydration because I lose so much fluid.

Does this sound at all normal?
    It sounds similar to what a friend of mine goes through with his stress IC. During those episodes he has been known to dehydrate fairly quickly if he doesn't keep at least some fluids going into him.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about this if you haven't even if it isn't a very common occurrence. There may be something they can suggest to help control it when it does happen.