Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definitions:

Default Definitions:

Purpose: 1. To propose new items to add to my glossary on my website. 2. To create definitions for items listed that have not been defined. 3. To add to/improve existing definitions through providing alternate definitions. 4. Check for understanding of definitions

Note these definitions are subject to change. I am not trying to insult anyone here by having an inaccurate description. No offense intended to anyone if I got the definition for their identity wrong.

On that same token, be respectful of other's identities. People are within their rights to self-identify as they so please. Be respectful. (as in don't start telling me agequeers do not exist/ are equivalent to adult babies, I will tell you to shove it up your clown hole )

Types of ABDL*s:

•Note*: ABDL* is a spectrum, people can land almost anywhere and can fall anywhere in or between any of these groups. Someone could identify as a member of multiple identities or even all of them at once!

"Adult Baby" is a term used to describe people who occasionally use role-play to regress to an infant or child-like state. Most adult babies role play as either infants or toddlers, and typically like to wear/use/play with stereotypically infantile items such as diapers, bottles,stuffed animals ect. While is considered a fetish for many, it is not sexual for everyone. Sexual adult babies may find objects such as diapers, pacifiers, bottles, ect. arousing or they may derive sexual gratification from the relinquishement of power one enjoys by role-playing as an infant. Even for sexual-adult babies there is almost always a completely non-sexual aspect of being an adult baby. Being and adult baby often satisfies needs outside of sexuality such as comfort and intimacy of a non-sexual nature.

A “Diaper Lover” is someone who enjoys wearing diapers, enjoys seeing other adults wearing diapers or has a fetish for diapers themselves. Diaper lovers are usually thought of as occupying the more sexual end of the ABDL spectrum. This is generally true, however some may wear diapers out of comfort or personal preference rather than for sexual reasons. Many ABDL*s identify as both Adult Babies and Diaper Lovers, but not all Diaper Lovers are Adult Babies.

Sissy- adult babies who incorporate cross-dressing as part of their ABDL-roleplay.

LG/Little Girl-

Little-

Teen Babies- an “adult baby” who is still under 18 years of age. Although most adult babies are aware of their desires for regression from a young age, many do not really do anything to address them until they are teens.

Agequeer- someone whose feels and acts in ways inconsistent with their chronological age. Agequeers may vacillate between self-identifiying as different ages or simply may choose not identify as any one age. Agequeers within the ABDL* spectrum tend to blend and blur the lines between what it means to be an adult with what it means to be a baby or small child. The hallmark of agequeers that makes them stand out from adult babies is that agequeers incorporate their ABDL* into their personality rather than simply roleplaying as a baby.

Ageplayer- broad term that includes those who enjoy role playing at an age different than their biological one.

Babyfur- An ABDL* who has a furry persona that incorporates ABDL*. Furries are people who role play as anthropomorphic animal characters and may wear costumes to match their identity. Babyfurs simply have fursonas or animal character that is younger than their chronogical age.

Other Terms:

Incontinent- someone who is unable to voluntarily control urination and or defecation as a result of a medical condition.

Chronological Age- someone's age as counted from birth.

ABDL*-phobia- the spectrum of negative attitudes and feelings towards ABDL*s. ABDL-phobia can be manifested as: aversion, stigmas, negative attitudes, contempt, hatred, or violence. ABDL*-phobia stems from misconceptions and stereotypes.

Caretaker- an adult who takes role plays with an ABDL* in the capacity of a responsible adult and cares for the ABDL*.

Internalized ABDL*-phobia- the ABDL*-phobia an ABDL* individual turns inward at themselves and other ABDL*s in the ABDL* community.

IRL- in real life

Nappy- synonym for diaper

NUK 5- a "size 5" or adult version of a NUK brand pacifier. Developed in Germany for use in speech therapy to strengthen muscles in adults. Popular with ABDL*s.

Regression
    Role-play
    Switch

RainbowShy

Don't forget adult child~

An Adult child is similar to an adult baby, but instead tend to act more child-like. It's something I tell people a lot since I consider myself an adult child. Basically, I feel like adult children are between four or five to about eleven. I kind of what the term of Adult Child to be recognized as something other than those who are associated with drunk parents. If you look up the term, that's what you will find.

Do you think you could add that to the list? Maybe it would help other people understand the term a little more, especially since it's hard to look up online.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticChessie View Post
    Don't forget adult child~

An Adult child is similar to an adult baby, but instead tend to act more child-like. It's something I tell people a lot since I consider myself an adult child. Basically, I feel like adult children are between four or five to about eleven. I kind of what the term of Adult Child to be recognized as something other than those who are associated with drunk parents. If you look up the term, that's what you will find.

Do you think you could add that to the list? Maybe it would help other people understand the term a little more, especially since it's hard to look up online.
    Sure.
    Thought this term was the same as "little", but forgive my ignorance if that is the case.

Thank you.

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    Sure.
    Thought this term was the same as "little", but forgive my ignorance if that is the case.

Thank you.
    It might... but I kind of had a feeling that little was more related to toddler age. O_o I think for me, Adult child covers the broader spectrum between kindergarten age to about I don't know... middle school? Since, by the time most stop being babies once they start school for the first time. (I'm talking about non AB/DL here.)

It kind of seems like it'd also apply to ageplay too... but in my case, I'm actually mentally about 8 to 11 years old. Like... I can't explain it because it'd just be easier if people really understood adult children more. It's basically covering the age of adults who act more in the older children age. The only reason I consider myself an adult child, and I'm probably the only one that does is because my mental age has a lot to do with my disabilities.

Does anybody have an issue with:

"Adult Baby" is a term used to describe people who occasionally use role-play to regress to an infant or child-like state. Most adult babies role play as either infants or toddlers, and typically like to wear/use/play with stereotypically infantile items such as diapers, bottles,stuffed animals ect. While is considered a fetish for many, it is not sexual for everyone. Sexual adult babies may find objects such as diapers, pacifiers, bottles, ect. arousing or they may derive sexual gratification from the relinquishement of power one enjoys by role-playing as an infant. Even for sexual-adult babies there is almost always a completely non-sexual aspect of being an adult baby. Being and adult baby often satisfies needs outside of sexuality such as comfort and intimacy of a non-sexual nature.

I think Adult Child covers Little and Middle ages. I've always thought of little being 3-6 or so. Though how standard that is, I don't know, just it seems (from what little I've seen) usually people who consider themselves a little and not ab/dl are about 3 but usually don't seem to go above 7-8.

Then, again my thought, is middle is between 7 or 8 and 12-14.

For regression this is from wikipedia, I cut out quite a bit since I don't think many here would like the full version (I don't either, though I'm hardly qualified to argue xD.)

the temporary or long-term reversion of the ego to an earlier stage of development
    Regression (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd cut it to temporary reversion to an earlier stage of development. Though that may be a bit too clinical sounding and maybe debatable?

For Switch, maybe something like: A person who changes roles between baby and caretaker.

For LG, all I can tell you is it is going to be a massive pain in the ass =p. I've seen it used about 40 different ways it seems. Well really only 2 ways but both have/are used quite often it is hard to say which is "right". Seen it used to mean a female little (or AB sometimes), and used to see it used quite a bit to describe a male AB/Little who was female while regressed (I wasn't sure how to say this without being offensive, hopefully it isn't offensive!).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    On that same token, be respectful of other's identities. People are within their rights to self-identify as they so please. Be respectful. (as in don't start telling me agequeers do not exist/ are equivalent to adult babies, I will tell you to shove it up your clown hole )
    I respect you have the right to describe yourself as agequeer if you wish. It doesn't automatically follow though that you have the right for it to be grouped or closely associated with 'standard' ABDL.
    Much as you have the right to create your own label, the ABDL community in general has a right to a say in what they consider to be ABDL if there is disagreement. Telling us it exists, is equivalent and we are not allowed to argue is unreasonable - you, nor I, nor anybody else can unilaterally decide what is and isn't ABDL.

•Note*: ABDL* is a spectrum, people can land almost anywhere and can fall anywhere in or between any of these groups. Someone could identify as a member of multiple identities or even all of them at once!
    This should probably read "Someone could identify as a member of multiple groups..." I don't think an identity is something you can be a member of.

Citation needed, I'd like to know where your evidence for this claim is. The "and" I've emphasised should also be "an"

Teen Babies- an “adult baby” who is still under 18 years of age. Although most adult babies are aware of their desires for regression from a young age, many do not really do anything to address them until they are teens.
    I thought a teen baby was logically somebody in their teens, i.e. aged thirteen to nineteen. I'm not sure of the relevance of the part from 'although' onwards, or it needs clarifying what 'addressing desires' means. My interpretation of what you have written is that one is only considered an ABDL when they actually engage in some ABDL activity. Given many teens who identify as ABDL have no access to the required items, that interpretation clearly makes no sense.

Agequeer - As it seems to be a definition you've created i can't really argue with it, but see earlier point about validity of inclusion.

Internalized ABDL*-phobia- the ABDL*-phobia an ABDL* individual turns inward at themselves and other ABDL*s in the ABDL* community.
    Firstly they are too many hyphens, it looks messy and is potentially unlear what the term you are trying to define is.
    Secondly, I've read this through a few times and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say. I think you are trying to define people who are unhappy with being ABDL so attack themselves and other ABDLs? If so the definition makes it sound like this is something common to all ABDLs - it's not. Whatever it's meant to mean it needs completely re-writing to make it clear.

IRL- Correct, but a general widely known and used abbreviation not specific to ABDL, I don't see the point in including it.

Nappy- synonym for diaper
    Misleading and/or US-centric. Diaper is the word primarily used for the garment in the US, nappy is the word primarily used in the UK amongst other places. I wouldn't say they are synonyms as neither country has the other's word in common usage.

Other points:
    You have interchanged between biological and chronological age, consistency would be good.
    You have not defined what ABDL* means, from what I've seen nobody here is sure what it is meant to represent and the only reason for the * seems to be because of your comparisons to LGBT*.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    Much as you have the right to create your own label, the ABDL community in general has a right to a say in what they consider to be ABDL if there is disagreement. Telling us it exists, is equivalent and we are not allowed to argue is unreasonable - you, nor I, nor anybody else can unilaterally decide what is and isn't ABDL.
    Not true I can label myself as however I want. This is me deciding for myself not for the whole community. I am within my rights to "unilaterally decide what is and isn't ABDL" for myself. I can call myself whatever I want. I may be taking a leap of faith here, but I don't think anyone is going to say that agequeers do not fall into the ABDL* spectrum somewhere.

This should probably read "Someone could identify as a member of multiple groups..." I don't think an identity is something you can be a member of.
    I will revise this to reflect your suggestion. Thank you for spotting that.

Citation needed, I'd like to know where your evidence for this claim is. The "and" I've emphasised should also be "an"
    "and" is fixed.

"often" should be change to "can be" And this piece of information is not citation worthy. It is pretty obvious. You can't really deny that comfort and intimacy of a non-sexual nature are not part of being ABDL* for some people. It is just common knowledge. People on this forum talk about how being ABDL* is stress relief or enjoyable for non-sexual reasons. People talk about cuddling all the time along with other types of non-sexual intimacy. I digress though. that line may not be super relevant in the definition anyway.

Edit: New Proposed Definition
    "Adult Baby" is a term used to describe people who occasionally use role-play to regress to an infant or child-like state. Most adult babies role play as either infants or toddlers, and typically like to wear/use/play with stereotypically infantile items such as diapers, bottles,stuffed animals ect. While is considered a fetish for many, it is not sexual for everyone. Sexual adult babies may find objects such as diapers, pacifiers, bottles, ect. arousing or they may derive sexual gratification from the relinquishement of power one enjoys by role-playing as an infant. Even for sexual-adult babies there is almost always a completely non-sexual aspect of being an adult baby. Outside of sexuality, being an adult baby can satisfy needs such as comfort and intimacy of a non-sexual nature.

I thought a teen baby was logically somebody in their teens, i.e. aged thirteen to nineteen. I'm not sure of the relevance of the part from 'although' onwards, or it needs clarifying what 'addressing desires' means. My interpretation of what you have written is that one is only considered an ABDL when they actually engage in some ABDL activity. Given many teens who identify as ABDL have no access to the required items, that interpretation clearly makes no sense.
    Will re-write. I could use a suggestion for a better definition though.

Firstly they are too many hyphens, it looks messy and is potentially unlear what the term you are trying to define is.
    Not important at this stage. I need actual valid definitions. Will make things pretty and organized once I have something of substance. The old saying, you can't "make shit shine by polishing it" applies.

Secondly, I've read this through a few times and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say. I think you are trying to define people who are unhappy with being ABDL so attack themselves and other ABDLs? If so the definition makes it sound like this is something common to all ABDLs - it's not. Whatever it's meant to mean it needs completely re-writing to make it clear.
    Will re-write

IRL- Correct, but a general widely known and used abbreviation not specific to ABDL, I don't see the point in including it.
    K fair enough. I have been looking at Bittergrey's glossary. It is like 7 pages long. It has a lot of stupid words too. As wonderful as his site is, my eyes bleed every time I try to find a useful piece of information.

Misleading and/or US-centric. Diaper is the word primarily used for the garment in the US, nappy is the word primarily used in the UK amongst other places. I wouldn't say they are synonyms as neither country has the other's word in common usage.
    Agreed. Will fix.

Other points:
    You have interchanged between biological and chronological age, consistency would be good.
    Again consistency is a typo from when before I researched the meanings of biological v. chronological age.

You have not defined what ABDL* means, from what I've seen nobody here is sure what it is meant to represent and the only reason for the * seems to be because of your comparisons to LGBT*.
    I did on my home page. Will add to glossary.

I had minor quibbles which WoodlandWanderer already addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall
    I have been looking at Bittergrey's glossary. It is like 7 pages long. It has a lot of stupid words too. As wonderful as his site is, my eyes bleed every time I try to find a useful piece of information.
    To be fair, most of the stuff in his glossary are common basic words from the dictionary, and a lot the non AB/DL wouldn't immediately get. Some of the more sciency ones were coined in journals.

Definitions and labels are as only useful when they are commonly used in the community. At that point, you're trying to get wide common usage of new terms throughout. I commonly write AB/DL instead of ABDL*. To me they are the same thing, and to a lot of people. To that point, why even write ABDL*? What's there to gain? Why not write AB/DL? It's no more neat or comprehensive than the former.

Some very new concepts that deserve some level of discussion/debate are things like "agequeer" or "AB/DL Age Identity." I'm not saying you cannot identify or use these terms, but this is the first time I've seen them be used. You could devote an entire article to that, which is what I suggest you do if you want it to be used or taken seriously.
    Last edited by Geno; 16-Jul-2013 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Why not write AB/DL? It's no more neat or comprehensive than the former.
    The "*" on the end incorporates everyone who is within the ABDL spectrum but do not necessarily identify as either adult babies or diaper lovers. These groups are important. Adult Baby itself is a misnomer. I was ABDL* from age 3. Definitely not an adult baby at age 3.
    As for the omission of the "/", there is no fine line separating ABs and DLs. There are a lot of people here who identity as both. By using ABDL*, it gives more of an impression that ABDLism is a fluid spectrum rather than just a bunch of clearly demarcated identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Some very new concepts that deserve some level of discussion/debate are things like "agequeer" or "AB/DL Age Identity." I'm not saying you cannot identify or use these terms, but this is the first time I've seen them be used. You could devote an entire article to that, which is what I suggest you do if you want it to be used or taken seriously.
    Response to Agequeer: Have tried to have a civilized discussion about agequeer some months ago. Erupted in an argument of whether ABDL* is only a fetish or can also be a lifestyle. Instead of staying on topic, a few people went on to declare that ABDL* is only a fetish and that those who decide to be openly ABDL* are selfish and perverted freaks who are pushing their sexual deviancy on others by carrying around their teddies or sucking on pacis. This was the prevailing attitude about ABDL* before I started said thread. Now miraculously after that thread a whole slew of ABDL*s who where secretly "decriminalizing being openly ABDL*" have come out of the woodwork. Things are getting better for non closeted and non-sexual ABDL*s, but right now the climate will not permit a discussion about agequeers. In the future I plan on doing one better than just an article as you suggest. I plan to do a video about it. Eventually I want to make a whole web series kind of thing like this (Asexuality: An introduction - YouTube), but for ABDL*s. I want to show that ABDL*s are real people and that what is seen on tv is not accurate. I will be dressed as an "adult" in most episodes. Sure I will have toys and diapers stacked in the background, but not for emphasis. This is just what my room looks like.