Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other causes of autism?

RainbowShy

Default Other causes of autism?

What other causes do you believe are linked to autism? I'll try not to disagree with you guys on your causes. I know I can be pretty mean when it comes to my condition.

I think genetics play a part in how autism is developed. The reason is because both my parents show traits of autism. My dad is very anti-social and has little social skills. He also gets obsessed with things easily and has narrow interests as well (IE. paranormal and history are his top interests). There are times when, despite his hard of hearing, he can still hear me and my mom yelling so he gets upset about it. He does have a temper and has his bad days as well. My mom is social, but I notice she doesn't have the proper social skills to keep all her conversations going. Her skills are somewhat abnormal. She also gets into these obsessions and talks to you like a broken record. She repeats things a lot as well.

I find it kind of funny that they have all these autistic traits and here I am with infantile autism, you know? I also think that my late birth and my mom's c-section she had when I was born is linked to my autism as well.

So, what do you think are some valid causes of autism? (Besides those who believe vaccines might be a link)

Also, please excuse any typos. I wrote this on a crappy touch keyboard via my iPad.
    Last edited by RainbowShy; 14-Jul-2013 at 19:15. Reason: Correcting my iPad typos. ^^;

I don't think enough is known about autism to say much, but I find it likely that it is pretty much only genetics. I just can't picture autism as something you can develop. Of course, this is nothing but a guess.

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by SnowTrees View Post
    I don't think enough is known about autism to say much, but I find it likely that it is pretty much only genetics. I just can't picture autism as something you can develop. Of course, this is nothing but a guess.
    i actually agree with you. So many people think it can be developed. D:

In my case I do thing it was genetics. My birth parents were brother and sister. Not something I wanted to talk about for long time.

jcrowley1985

Besides vaccines, I think it could also be the way society communicates as a whole. Over the past few decades, we have been changing from face to face interactions to over the phone or computer. Children of the 80s and 90s grew up playing video games and going on the computer instead of socializing outside. Seeing as how communications problems is a big part of autism, this could be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticChessie View Post
    i actually agree with you. So many people think it can be developed. D:
    Equal to, or greater than this, is the collective mindset that neurological social impairments such as ASDs and ADHD can be outgrown. I don't buy into snake-oil theories of mercury/ vaccines/ Jenny McCarthy causing autism. Autism isn't "caused" in the first place, it's only discovered and diagnosed more accurately

I also think the environment has something to do with it. The environment affects how everyone develops in their childhood. With technology that is out now and TV watching has become more common these days, ADHD has increased and children aren't talking as soon, etc. It just effects the brain development. Plus if a child keeps getting sick when they are still young, it's also going to effect their brain development. My mom thinks I would have truly been autistic if I was kept in that special ed classroom and if my mother didn't help me growing up. She acts like the environment by having your child in the wrong settings can cause it. I did have ear infections and fevers a lot and I was deaf my so mother thinks it caused my autism. It's possible the sickness did effect the development of my brain and now I have a different brain wiring because it wired differently. It could have also been a coincidence because my grandmother may have had it too and my Dad has traits and I have other relatives who may have it and my great uncle could have had it but he has been dead for 13 years so I can't say based on a few things he's said about himself.

Of course if a child isn't talking correctly at age two it doesn't mean they have autism. Plus it seems common now kids aren't talking that young nor very well anymore. My brothers were talking very well at age two but that was probably because my mother was always working with me and they picked up on it because they were always with her when she was working with me so it also developed their language too. I also knew another two year old who could talk well too. He would be 20 now. But I don't see lot of two year olds talking well anymore so it's become the norm now and no longer indicates something is wrong. But my guess is the environment that is doing it based on studies I have read online. Watching TV is not going to build language development and that is what parents do these days now, they are duped planting them in front of the TV set and having them watch educational videos at their level is going to teach them but all they are learning is visual,and language goes by fast they don't pick up on it, only visual. Then it effects them in the future. Maybe a reason why learning disabilities have increased.

Just my opinion.

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I also think the environment has something to do with it. The environment affects how everyone develops in their childhood. With technology that is out now and TV watching has become more common these days, ADHD has increased and children aren't talking as soon, etc. It just effects the brain development. Plus if a child keeps getting sick when they are still young, it's also going to effect their brain development. My mom thinks I would have truly been autistic if I was kept in that special ed classroom and if my mother didn't help me growing up. She acts like the environment by having your child in the wrong settings can cause it. I did have ear infections and fevers a lot and I was deaf my so mother thinks it caused my autism. It's possible the sickness did effect the development of my brain and now I have a different brain wiring because it wired differently. It could have also been a coincidence because my grandmother may have had it too and my Dad has traits and I have other relatives who may have it and my great uncle could have had it but he has been dead for 13 years so I can't say based on a few things he's said about himself.

Of course if a child isn't talking correctly at age two it doesn't mean they have autism. Plus it seems common now kids aren't talking that young nor very well anymore. My brothers were talking very well at age two but that was probably because my mother was always working with me and they picked up on it because they were always with her when she was working with me so it also developed their language too. I also knew another two year old who could talk well too. He would be 20 now. But I don't see lot of two year olds talking well anymore so it's become the norm now and no longer indicates something is wrong. But my guess is the environment that is doing it based on studies I have read online. Watching TV is not going to build language development and that is what parents do these days now, they are duped planting them in front of the TV set and having them watch educational videos at their level is going to teach them but all they are learning is visual,and language goes by fast they don't pick up on it, only visual. Then it effects them in the future. Maybe a reason why learning disabilities have increased.

Just my opinion.
    It depends on the actual environmental causes. It's possible, as you said, that my autism got worse because I spend more time on the computer or writing or playing games or watching TV than going out to socialize and really have outside friends. The problem that I have is anxiety-related. I worry whether people are going to like me or what they would do if they knew I had Autism. I get nervous around little kids a lot because I don't know how to play the games the play and as far as people around my age or in their teens... it's really difficult for me to mingle, especially if they don't share my same narrow interests. I'm not saying that autism is caused by these things... but I think over time if you were diagnosed with Autism or have actually had autism, yet you weren't diagnosed until later in life (like me) then it gets worse over time because you don't get the help need.

That's the problem I have. I was diagnosed at around twelve. I was too old for ABA therapy or those other therapies they give to autistic children... plus, I think a lot of it had to do with money. The only therapy I get now is from my psychiatrist who manages my medications as well as other things.

Also, the thing with ADHD is that kids can't kids. Parents get them diagnosed with ADHD before their fifth birthday and medicate them with any chance they get. I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until the second grade. They waited until I was older before they labeled me with it. Same with the learning disability. I know that my parents tried to work with me because they were the type of parents who tried everything to let alone punish me and nothing worked. They knew something wasn't right with me. I didn't start showing signs of possible language until I was four... and if it wasn't for speech therapy, I never would have learned to speak at all. Even still, today I can communicate well... but I lack verbal and emotional expression.That's why I ended up becoming a writer.

Anyway, I don't think TV can actually cause Autism alone. However, I do believe it can cause learning and developmental delays in young children. Parents do have a little fault for how they raise their kids. It's their fault for planting them in front of the TV because they're too busy working or doing other crap to sit down and teach the kid how to read or write. Society has been slacking a lot lately. Parents worry more about what their kids watch too and end up criticizing TV when they can simply turn the TV off and spend time teaching their child the milestones they need to learn.

Also, to person who mentioned Jenny McCarthy... ugh. I can't stand her. I doubt her child even has Autism because she seems to think that she cured her son. There is no cure for autism. If you cure your child, than how can you be so sure they had it to begin with? Also, you can't grow out of autism or ADHD. If that was the case, then tell me why I still have them? Why haven't I grown out of being autistic or from having ADHD? Half of the kids today are being diagnosed with disabilities far too young to really say they have those things. My parents knew something was wrong, yet they waited until I was in second grade to really see that I wasn't like everyone else.

I can trace my asd straight up to my maternal grandfather. He was supposedly an eccentric painter who was known as a "walking encyclopedia". Straight Hans Asperger observation. My mom has/had mental illness that she had to deal with and she was my primary caretaker. She was the black sheep of her siblings, which tells me a lot about what kind of egg I came from (literally).

There is also the belief that, at least with Aspies, the brain develops differently from NT and I can tell you that is pretty accurate. I think stuff out in ways that NT can never do which makes aspies great problem solvers in their area of expertise. You can use that gift to great advantage once you understand it fully.

There is also an environment factor, one that seems to be overlooked by many. Leaded gasoline. Teraethyl lead, the additive used as an anti-knock agent, is extremely toxic and regardless of what was claimed that stuff got sprayed from the exhaust fumes of the cars that used it for decades. There are study that link decrease in violent crimes correlating with the timeline that leaded gas was phased out. Which in turn means that it caused violent behavior to increase when it was used. The brunt of the damage was caused to those born during the baby boomer generation, which would make my parents and those of many others here the "victim" of whatever impairment it caused. That combined with the genetic causes would make for a lot of emotionally and physically traumatic upbringing for us, even if you were born after post-ban.

--sf