Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is wearing diapers an addiction?

Default Is wearing diapers an addiction?

Not really a scientific poll or anything, I just want to get some thoughts. Over in the Off-topic area under the Do You Smoke? topic, PaddedPat made this comparison:

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPat View Post
    Here's an analogy on how difficult it is to quit: Do away your diapers forever. Nope. You can't ever indulge even once. Not ever again. No matter how strong the urge or temptation. No matter how stressful life becomes. Sorry -- No more browsing ADISC either, because the association might cause a relapse.
    My question, not to compare it to smoking, necessarily, but would you, could you just quit diapers?

My answer- yes, I could. I wouldn't want to, I don't think there would be a compelling reason for me to, but I could.

What about you?

Could I just give up diapers cold turkey? My answer would be no. I feel if I wanted to quit diapers that I would have to do it slowly so I wouldn't relapse.

jcrowley1985

Quote Originally Posted by VayneAurelius View Post
    Could I just give up diapers cold turkey? My answer would be no. I feel if I wanted to quit diapers that I would have to do it slowly so I wouldn't relapse.
    Sort of like "re-potty training"?

I don't see it the same as an addiction, although I don't doubt that it would be possible to be psychologically addicted. I quit for several years before finally moving out from living with my parents. I didn't put diapers and such out of my mind, just out of my reach. My imagination is sufficient if there is nothing else available. Based on this, I'm pretty sure I could do without again indefinitely, but I'm thankful to have no reason to do so.

RainbowShy

I could give them up. I haven't wet in one for a while since I ran out. That, and I don't like wetting all the time in them. Since my mom has as an easy shot at finding out again (yes she has once and commented on how gross and babyish it is), I try to limit myself so that if she goes out for a while then I can wear and wet one. Plus, if I suddenly become dependent on diapers, how do you think it will blow over with my parents? Not very good, that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I also wouldn't say they are an addiction. It may SEEM like one, but IMO people become dependent in diapers that they become used to them. Some even become IC because they were them so long.

I don't think I would be able to give them up. Not for life.

For folks more predisposed to addiction - like myself - I can say with absolute certainty that giving up diapers would be nearly as difficult as kicking the smokes. Maybe more difficult. Here's why:

If diapers were merely an occasional role play escape, sure. No problem. They are an indulgence - a naughty diversion no more harmful than dressing up for Halloween. They aren't hard-wired into my personality or sense of identity. Just a prop used for fun.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you see it), diaper fetishism is a tougher habit to kick. I've been a DL for 20 years now, and diapers are an absolutely INSEPARABLE part of my sexual identity. This isn't a playful prop -- it's completely integrated into my personality and feeling of self-worth. Destroying that part of me would be tantamount to erasing 20 years of life experiences and lessons learned.

I could do it if I had to, but I would probably need some outside help from a behavioral therapist or support group to cope with psychological withdrawal and find other outlets for reprogramming my sexual identity.

Ugh. Now I feel a little depressed for some strange reason - lol.

:-)

Awww, I didn't mean to bum you out, Pat! Have a hug!

I think I should expand the premise a bit- if wearing diapers was shown to have a serious physical consequence down the road like smoking, would that be enough of an impetus to get people to quit wearing or cut back significantly?

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I don't think I would be able to give them up. Not for life.
    I agree what reason on God's Green Earth would there be a good reason for anyone ever to stop wearing diapers if you can do freely and It was globally accepted as normal underwear without the persecution we humans have on this earth what I'm wishing for is a perfect diapered world! Peace Love Harmony Healing and Diapers Forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MattiKins View Post
    Awww, I didn't mean to bum you out, Pat! Have a hug!

I think I should expand the premise a bit- if wearing diapers was shown to have a serious physical consequence down the road like smoking, would that be enough of an impetus to get people to quit wearing or cut back significantly?
    LOL! No worries.

See? Even us diaper veterans are conflicted about ABDLism from time-to-time!

Regarding your premise: If science proved that long-term diaper use leads to kidney disease, skin cancer, or some other life-threatening illness, it would certainly provide more incentive to quit.

Hemorrhoids, diaper rash, or UTIs may be uncomfortable or even painful, but they probably don't quite qualify as "life-threatening". ;-)