Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerning my computer

Default Concerning my computer

Okay, well my pc is STILL having problems, despite me replacing everything that could possibly have a hand in it. No one can figure out why either. There is absolutely no reason why it should be doing this crap, yet it does it anyway.

So here's the thread I started on another forum about it: Unexplainable pc issue - Page 3 - Computer Forums

Everything you need is there. Please read over that and see if you can spot something I haven't tried. I am desperate, this has to end. I have stuff I need to do on my computer, including classes, and this is just screwing my entire existence up. It's hell to not know whether your comp will work from one day to the next, or when it will mess up next.

If I do not respond to this, then it probably means that my comp crashed again. I will, however, still read everything that is posted. Thanks in advance.

Run chkdsk.

Anyhow, did the no Stop Sign firewall fix anything?

Did you reformat and reinstall? A lot of problems can come from switching CPUs and not refreshing the system.

1. Get into the command prompt (start -> run -> cmd)
    2. Type "chkdsk /f" without the quotes
    3. The screen should say this:

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
    4. Type "N" and press enter.
    5. Type "shutdown -r -f -t 0" which will restart your computer.

If that doesn't work, then you may want to try PC Pitstop. For this URL, you need to use Internet Explorer while you are on the computer's admin account.

When your computer gets fixed, I would highly suggest getting the following products: AVG Scanner, AVAST Antivirus, and COMODO Firewall. All of these are free, and I have had great experiences with all three. AVG is just a scanner (best detection rate), AVAST is a free antivirus (they get money from the corporate version, so its not crapware), and COMODO is the best firewall. I hope this helps!

I don't think it's the HDD. your post in the link says you tried booting with nothing attached (optical, HDD) and it still wouldn't POST? if thats the case your down to the mobo, cpu, or Ram or PSU. 350 W should be enough for the specs you have listed. What beeps are you getting when you try to Boot? these will tell you a lot about what is going on.

It never beeped at all, and there is no mobo lights that I could check, that's partly what makes this so hard to figure out. The pc is working right now though, I had to get a new board for it to do so.

Removing the firewall seems to have worked, but its too early to tell. I'll let you know in a few days if that was it. That still doesn't explain why it caused my old mobo not to POST... that's like... impossible, isn't it?

And I will run checkdisk, I don't think I've done that before, though I know of it.

EDIT: Did it again, with yet another new BSOD. See my link on OP to see this BSOD.

How do I debug the minidump files so I can figure out what the hell is going on? That's the only way to figure this out.

Also, I ran check disk. It did something, but I couldn't read what before it restarted. We'll see it that changed anything, my money is that it didn't, but maybe I'll be surprised.
    Last edited by Drosera; 09-Dec-2008 at 21:46.

No one knows how to read mini-dump files? It's supposed to as easy as downloading this MS debugging tools for windows, and analyzing it, but it doesn't work. There is no "analyze" function. I think I'm supposed to download the symbol list first, but when I try I get the BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD. So I can't do anything...

Should I just give up and get Linux? Only thing is, I don't know much about Linux, only used it a hand full of times, and I really don't want to learn a whole new OS.

(Not much time here...) -- but can't you just reinstall a fresh copy of Windows (since you don't want to move to Linux)? Or heck, maybe it's the right time to try it.

If your motherboard doesn't POST, then it could be a various number of things -- from simple Hard Drive jumper screw ups, to a bad CPU (which apparently it isn't), a bad motherboard... heck, the numbers are practically endless. You could've installed a CPU that had a faster Front Side Bus than your motherboard could handle, and she blew out.

My theory is that the reason you're BSOD'ing now is because you're using a new motherboard (and CPU?) on a copy of Windows that's expecting something else entirely.

Try the following:
    - Hunt down and download all drivers for your current build -- chipsets, video cards... all of it. Anything you can think of that might require a driver.
    - Reinstall a copy of Windows XP (need help on finding one? PM me)
    - Install all new drivers

Now, doing that would erase your hard drive altogether. If you want to keep some things, you could add another HDD and install onto that drive, then take everything from the old HDD onto the new one, and reformat it to make it a slave drive (just one option of a few that would work for that case).

Let me know!