Thread: Can I make a cloth diaper from fleece and velcro?

Default Can I make a cloth diaper from fleece and velcro?

I didn't see anything quite like this, so I figured I'd ask.

I've never seen a cloth diaper, much less used one, so I was wondering if I could make the entire thing from fleece--and fashion it with velcro.

I have quite a bit of soft white fleece (pre-washed), several feet of thin elastic, and a couple yards of velcro tape...and it may seem lazy, but I was hoping not to have to drive 40 minutes out to the nearest Joanns and buy flannel and snaps. I like the idea of a 'this' shape. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/5...ont-font-b.jpg

I'm gonna put in a pocket for stuffers, and get a plastic cover...but I'd still like it to be absorbent.

Does anyone have any patterns or directions I can follow? Is fleece just a recipe for disaster, and will even several strips velcro not hold?
    Last edited by CluidinBoy; 13-Jul-2013 at 02:26.

Quote Originally Posted by CluidinBoy View Post
    I didn't see anything quite like this, so I figured I'd ask.

I've never seen a cloth diaper, much less used one, so I was wondering if I could make the entire thing from fleece--and fashion it with velcro.

I have quite a bit of soft white fleece (pre-washed), several feet of thin elastic, and a couple yards of velcro tape...and it may seem lazy, but I was hoping not to have to drive 40 minutes out to the nearest Joanns and buy flannel and snaps. I like the idea of a 'this' shape. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/5...ont-font-b.jpg

I'm gonna put in a pocket for stuffers, and get a plastic cover...but I'd still like it to be absorbent.

Does anyone have any patterns or directions I can follow? Is fleece just a recipe for disaster, and will even several strips velcro not hold?
    Drop DaveTDL a PM. He makes his own AIO diapers. He should be able to answer a lot of your questions. Also visit the group Society for Cloth Appreciation. (SCA)

On Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies under adult cloth diaper you can find an adult diaper patterns for 10.00 the seller is cover your rump hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    Drop DaveTDL a PM. He makes his own AIO diapers. He should be able to answer a lot of your questions. Also visit the group Society for Cloth Appreciation. (SCA)
    Thanks much! I'll do just that. :3

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    On Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies under adult cloth diaper you can find an adult diaper patterns for 10.00 the seller is cover your rump hope this helps.
    I was really hoping not to have to pay for the pattern...worst-case I don't mind making one myself, but I'd need some hints as to what parts to measure.

You can find free patern on the net.
    Or do as I did: make your own.

I based mine on a disposable I liked.
    If only I was better with a sewing machine.

]

Quote Originally Posted by CluidinBoy View Post
    Thanks much! I'll do just that. :3

I was really hoping not to have to pay for the pattern...worst-case I don't mind making one myself, but I'd need some hints as to what parts to measure.
    In the articles section there is one on making cloth diapers written by happydl.
    Also I have found fleece to not be very absorbent, flannel works much better.
    But you can test the absorbency of the fleece to see if it is to your liking.
    http://www.adisc.org/forum/content/1...h-diapers.html
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 13-Jul-2013 at 05:01. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by bob111 View Post
    You can find free patern on the net.
    Or do as I did: make your own.

I based mine on a disposable I liked.
    If only I was better with a sewing machine.
    I'm gonna need to find a pattern, or a guide to making one. I only wear the slip-on disposables. (The only way to get the ones with tapes is by ordering them, and the only places nearby are almost as expensive as Babykins and Cuddlz.)

Luckily, I just got my old sewing machine fixed for a cosplay I'm working on. I'm gonna hem the SHITE out of this diaper! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    ]In the articles section there is one on making cloth diapers written by happydl.
    Also I have found fleece to not be very absorbent, flannel works much better.
    But you can test the absorbency of the fleece to see if it is to your liking.
    http://www.adisc.org/forum/content/1...h-diapers.html
    Thanks for the note! I'm thinking now that I've tested some of my washed fleece under water that I should try a mix of flannel and fleece. A new fabric store I just found out about opened up in town, so I might also see if they have anything like a polyurethane laminate or similar water-resistant fabric.