Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old school game emulators?

Default old school game emulators?

who uses them and what are your thoughts on them?
    personally i have several on my mac, sixtyforce, psx, fusion, and i think they deserve more respect then they get i mean its not the authentic way of say playing a game like mario kart or metal gear solid but to me it eliminates the need for pricey imported games and alot of different cords and space taken up by consoles and with a decent controller i think it can be a pretty accurate representation of the real thing.

jcrowley1985

I have pretty much all hardware from all 80s and 90s systems (including an original Odyssey and Vectrex, the crown jewels of my collection). So if I can I try to play on original hardware. If I can't find a particular game or find a way to play it via flashcart or burned disc, I will use emulators. Although they don't all work 100%; N64 for example is a very picky system to emulate.

I will never get rid of my N64. I do emulate some of favortites from NES and SNES though.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowley1985 View Post
    I have pretty much all hardware from all 80s and 90s systems (including an original Odyssey and Vectrex, the crown jewels of my collection). So if I can I try to play on original hardware. If I can't find a particular game or find a way to play it via flashcart or burned disc, I will use emulators. Although they don't all work 100%; N64 for example is a very picky system to emulate.
    i've found that especially true when playing certan games on n64 emulators certan games for example goldeneye will glitch some of the time but when the do it happens so badly they're almost unplayable and so far i havnt found a way around it. which is a real shame because i love that game *pouts*

jcrowley1985

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay213 View Post
    i've found that especially true when playing certan games on n64 emulators certan games for example goldeneye will glitch some of the time but when the do it happens so badly they're almost unplayable and so far i havnt found a way around it. which is a real shame because i love that game *pouts*
    Just shows how awesome the N64 is. Over 15 years old and still hard to emulate on modern pcs.

Just shows how awesome the N64 is. Over 15 years old and still hard to emulate on modern pcs.

That would be like me whining that N64 cant play Crysis 3 at 60 gps.

It only shows how different their architectures are. Not that one is better then the other at playing games.

I usually just run Dolphin to play Melee when I don't have my Gamecube. I used to have ZSNES and Desmume installed, but I played through everything I wanted to on those platforms. I do try to run things on their original hardware if I can, but if it's not available (for example, most of the Earthbound series) I'll go ahead and emulate.

jcrowley1985

Quote Originally Posted by MLaPlage View Post
    I usually just run Dolphin to play Melee when I don't have my Gamecube. I used to have ZSNES and Desmume installed, but I played through everything I wanted to on those platforms. I do try to run things on their original hardware if I can, but if it's not available (for example, most of the Earthbound series) I'll go ahead and emulate.
    Is Earthbound for the Snes still going for $100+ on ebay? It's rediculous how much people charge for susposedly "rare" games that are not rare. The NES megaman games are the same.

Is Earthbound for the Snes still going for $100+ on ebay? It's rediculous how much people charge for susposedly "rare" games that are not rare. The NES megaman games are the same.
    Looks to be around $150 on average for ebay. There are people trying to get away with nearly $20k on amazon

jcrowley1985

Quote Originally Posted by MLaPlage View Post
    Looks to be around $150 on average for ebay. There are people trying to get away with nearly $20k on amazon
    That's insane as you can buy an Everdrive for that price and load all the snes roms on it. And unlike emulators, still play on origional hardware.

My personal take on game collecting is I collect hardware, I can always find ways to play the games without paying insane prices for them. Someday I may post pics of my collection.