Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Supply Stores?

Question Medical Supply Stores?

I've never been into a medical supply store, and i know of one that's pretty close that carries Molicares/Attends/Abenas, that i plan on going to tomorrow. my question is, has anyone ever bought diapers from a medical supply store? what is the process? Can i just walk in, pick up the diapers off the shelf and checkout? If someone could let me know the process that'd be great!

Quote Originally Posted by teh View Post
    [snipped]...walk in, pick up the diapers off the shelf and checkout? [snipped]
    This was my experience, although one of them was a small shop and there was a salesperson standing directly opposite the door when we came in who attempted to provide unwanted assistance. I prefer to browse unmolested (in any store, not just when looking for diapers).

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    This was my experience, although one of them was a small shop and there was a salesperson standing directly opposite the door when we came in who attempted to provide unwanted assistance. I prefer to browse unmolested (in any store, not just when looking for diapers).
    I agree, its a relatively small store, didn't seem like many employees, so buy diapers works just like any other store.
    thanks!

You don't need a prescription for them. You just want in and take the diapers off the shelf and buy them and leave. The people there act professional about it. You could be the caregiver or someone with a medical condition.

Do your research before going in - What brand, what size, what range.
    If you spend an age staring, the chances of you getting asked what you are looking for increases.

On exit, if you are really nervous that you are going to get asked who the products are for, get in before the cashier - Ask them how their day is, discuss the weather. Anything that will take 30 seconds longer than the transaction.

If you do get asked who the products are for, run will telling the truth. A - The person probably won't care, and B - If you say its for someone who is out of town, how long before you can use that shop again without them knowing you were telling them porkie pies?

Seriously, who has been asked if the products that you are buying are for yourself?

Some medical supply stores (At least where I live) ask you for whom the product is - because sometimes the insurance company requires a fully specified receipt...

In that case I usually tell them it's for myself. I mean after all I'm IC and it's a medical supply store, I don't really care and they don't really care.

Most of the time, if you walk in, either take off shelve or ask for a specific produtc (Can I have one box of Attends Slip M10 Regular please), they usually just handle it like regular shopping.

if you're nervous about it, you can always prepare by having the product written down on a piece of paper, go to the clerk and ask them whether they have this, as you're running an errand for an elderly neighbour of yours.

Act like you're buying a box of cereals,...

hey it's just diapers... it's neither illegal (for whatever reason you buy them) nor is it anything special.

Personally, If I don't order over the net (usually because it's a LOT CHEAPER and my insurance doesn't cover the entire cost) - I much prefer a medical supply store compared to regular stores or pharmacies.

They are usually VERY professional, and they deal with people with specific medical needs all day long.
    The one I go to once in a while (especially when I ran out of diapers too early... or need just one pack of something specifc, or my bed protectors, etc...) is really nice... I've come to know all of the staff (it's just four of them) - I know their names, they know mine.
    They make sure to have plain card bord boxes at hand, they are willing to specially order and find specific products... One has a son (15) who's a bedwetter and she (the mom - works at the store) was really glad about a good bit of talking with me - as well I went through all of the stuff with bedwetting and IC and I even agreed to sit down with her son for a chat while ago...

I mean they are humans, in a professional work envirnment.

And usually they are well aware that most people are embarassed by just so many medical issues.
    So they try not to give you an extra hard time about the whole ordeal.

But to me, honestly the best approach is to act normal.
    As with many things, I have figured out, when you don't make a huge fuss about it, the other person won't make one either. If you act all scared, nervous and sweaty, well it's going to be more complex-

The best thing is call in advance and have your order prepared. When you come in the store, anounce yourself and most probably, everything will be ready to go for you. Less questions, better service.
    If you want to try new product for free, let them know by asking questions on what they carry and what is best... They will probably give you a few samples.

Where I buy my stuff, they give me samples almost every time they get new stuff.

If they have it in stock, they can usually give it to you. Sometimes they keep stuff warehoused elsewhere. Another thing is they might have samples. As pointed out, it almost always works out better if you call them first to find out what they have and so they can get it ready.

Hi Teh. I must also agree with all the great comments above. In my experience medical supply stores are the easiest place to purchase such items;
    -They usually have a decent assortment (more heavy duty stuff!)
    -They tend to be quieter than large pharmacies, that have people visiting all day for ALL medical needs (I have had a couple of close calls with people I knew...)
    -They deal with special needs/life improvement products for a living. They are keen to help you, discreetly and respectfully
    -At least in my experience, I bump into less acquaintances in medical supply stores than I do in the big supermarkets, so for me at least, easier to perform stealth-purchasing!

Go for it. Good luck, and enjoy the diapers!
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Soakingboy View Post
    Hi Teh. I must also agree with all the great comments above. In my experience medical supply stores are the easiest place to purchase such items;
    -They usually have a decent assortment (more heavy duty stuff!)
    -They tend to be quieter than large pharmacies, that have people visiting all day for ALL medical needs (I have had a couple of close calls with people I knew...)
    -They deal with special needs/life improvement products for a living. They are keen to help you, discreetly and respectfully
    -At least in my experience, I bump into less acquaintances in medical supply stores than I do in the big supermarkets, so for me at least, easier to perform stealth-purchasing!

Go for it. Good luck, and enjoy the diapers!
    A.
    This has been my experience as well. Their clientele is comprised of people that legitimately need diapers and don't want that fact being broadcast around, so the staff (usually only one or two people in the whole place) will be very friendly and sympathetic. If they ask what sorts of needs you have, tell them you need something for heavy overnight use so they hook you up with the good stuff. Once you find a shop you like, give them some business every so often and build rapport with them. In the mid-2000s, I had found a local shop that had Molicares (the best ones, whatever line that was). Apparently the store had those Molicares for some time, and I was the only one buying them. They decided to stop carrying them rather than order more, so they wound up selling me several packages for a couple dollars a pack just to get them out of the store.

Needless to say, when I needed medical gear from my accident and insurance was picking up the full tab, I made sure they got my business.