Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Down In The Snow

Default Slow Down In The Snow

I figured I had to post this, it's kind of funny that just a few hours before what I'm about to say happened, I posted in the Let it Snow post. Anyway, like the title says, people please, slow down when driving in the snow.

Anyway, I went skiing today for the first time which was OK, not much open but better than not skiing. It was snowing, and on my drive back home we had already received about 3 inches of snow and the roads had not been plowed, sanded or salted. The road I was on was a 2 lane road, not much traffic, fairly straight, not too hilly and the speed limit is 55 mph (about 90 kph for those of you who use the metric system). Anyway, I'm traveling at about 45 mph, 10 under the speed limit. This seems acceptable as the road is snow covered and it is snowing limiting visibility. Keep in mind, I am not crawling. Anyway, out of nowhere, this big black SUV comes barreling up behind me and starts tailgating me. Seriously, in a snowstorm, on slippery roads where I am not crawling, I got this genius tailgating me.

He follows me for a few miles and we drive into a small town. I've had enough of this guy so I pull to the side to let him pass. What is he driving you ask? A brand new Cadillac Escalade, probably cost $60,000. He flies past me and I resume a normal safe speed. A few miles up ahead, there is a curve in the road - you can guess where this is going. Where is this brand new Cadillac? In a ditch. I did the right thing of course and stopped to see if everyone was OK and they were so I left.

This is just a textbook example of people assuming that if they have four wheel drive they are invincible. Four wheel drive may help get you going, but you'll stop and steer only as well as a two wheel drive car. Also, this genius was running his factory all-season tires. If you drive in snow, you need snow tires on all four, not just the drive wheels.

So please, winter is coming, for those of you in snowy areas, please be careful and don't end up like this Cadillac driver. Also, remember this tidbit, putting 4 snow tires on your car will most likely cost less than the deductible on your insurance, please use snow tires, they can save your life and the lives of others.

Driving in snow or heavy fog is a %^$&#. It's best to go slow and Arrive late then to never arrive at all. You should also slow down when its raining. And if you ever spin out or lose control pump the break gently and steer into the turn.

We just had our first snow here in Virginia. It was 1/4 of an inch, and it caused a lot of accidents. No, I'm not making that up. My wife and I had been out earlier on one particular road. Later in the afternoon, the light flurries came down with a light dusting. On that road where we were, three separate accidents occurred. Virginian's drive like idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    We just had our first snow here in Virginia. It was 1/4 of an inch, and it caused a lot of accidents. No, I'm not making that up. My wife and I had been out earlier on one particular road. Later in the afternoon, the light flurries came down with a light dusting. On that road where we were, three separate accidents occurred. Virginian's drive like idiots!
    I was with my friend...He always speeds, and he sped with the snow

I don't drive like an idiot

Ace, I had a somewhat similar experience about four years ago, as far as the other make of car goes. It started snowing about mid-morning while I was at work. I took off early to try to get home before the roads iced up, but driving conditions were rapidly deteriorating. I had to slowly stop for a light over in our county. While stopped, I looked in my rear view mirror to see a Cadillac coming up on me sliding at an angle. He wasn't going too fast, but the roads were getting so bad, all he had to do was touch his brakes to go into a slide. There was nowhere I could go, so I braced myself for impact. He hit into my rear closer to the passenger side. When I got out and looked at his heavier Caddy all smashed in at the driver's side headlight, I was afraid of what I was going to see on the rear my much smaller Toyota Tercel. However, I was shocked to see little to no damage due to the high rubber bumper. The Caddy looked a whole lot worse! There was damage under the bumper though, and his insurance had to pay for $1300 in damages. He was a little older than me and had three other passengers with him. I felt bad for him because he was driving cautiously and had come about 40 miles in the bad weather with less than a mile to go before he'd be safely home. The roads were just getting way too icey, too fast! Every time I stop at that light, I think about that Winter day mishap. It was the only accident I've ever been in as a driver.

~Pramrider

I used to drive 60 miles+ everyday to work, I always used the interstate, I only worked untill just before thanksgiving, but we used to get a snow storm or two before I was laid off for the winter.

Wheater it was sonowing or raining or heavy fog some idiot would fly past me doing 80+(Interstate 84 lots of wide open spaces) anyway I would always see one of these idiots, but shortly after they would pass I would loose site of them, untill I would see them in the median I would slow down and make sure they were allright, then I would blow the horn and give the guy a nice wave, and proceed.

They deserve what they get for driveing like that in those conditions, some of those escalade people buy a 4wd because they think they can drive it 4 times as fast as anyone else.

I just put my 60 lb sand tubes in the back of my truck. I have 6 in all and that adds 360 lbs to the back of my truck. I don't have four wheel drive and really don't need it. This hurts my gas mileage a bit but driving every day to work 15 miles on the Interstate I will take the loss of a few extra cents and dollars in my pocket for a sense of security. I also slow down when it snows and gets icy. And it does it a lot here in Northeast Indiana. I too have seen those knuckleheads speeding by me in their four wheel drive SUVs and Pickups and saw a few of them in the ditch or on the median barrier with their vehicle torn up. I just continue on home unless my services as a First Responder are needed.

I dunno... If it's going to snow, why not have fun with it?

Fun car + good snow tires, and a nice open parking lot with a few inches of snow can be a lot of fun, and you can teach yourself a lot about car control in slides.

I don't even really mind driving on trips in snow. Aside for worrying about what the other crazy people are doing, as long as you avoid them and drive at a speed appropriate for the conditions all is good. I remember a few years back driving home from work at a ski area in my audi with about a foot of unplowed powder on the interstate, and not a car around... Driving at 60+ mph so I didn't bog down in the snow... That was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledbbw View Post
    I just put my 60 lb sand tubes in the back of my truck. I have 6 in all and that adds 360 lbs to the back of my truck. I don't have four wheel drive and really don't need it. This hurts my gas mileage a bit but driving every day to work 15 miles on the Interstate I will take the loss of a few extra cents and dollars in my pocket for a sense of security. I also slow down when it snows and gets icy. And it does it a lot here in Northeast Indiana. I too have seen those knuckleheads speeding by me in their four wheel drive SUVs and Pickups and saw a few of them in the ditch or on the median barrier with their vehicle torn up. I just continue on home unless my services as a First Responder are needed.

I used to have a plow on my last pickup and to offset the weight I used a water bag, you could fill it to something like 500 lbs or anywhere in between, and if it got cold it would just freeze and not harm the bag if you left a little room for expansion.

It was nice if you saw on the weather, a storm was comming you would just fill the bag at the garden hose attachmet point, and when you didn't need the weight just let the water out.

It's made of industreal strenght rubber, and they have all different sizes.

i live in MN and it snowed a lot the last two days and yesterday i actually went off the road twice, the first time in some ones yard a little and the second time i went completely in a ditch but remembered the #1 one rule of not getting stuck don't let your vehicle stop, so my two wheal drive truck got out of the ditch. So now i drive nice and slow in the snow (after the second time)