Thread: Higher absorbency vs. boosters / other diaper choice questions...

Default Higher absorbency vs. boosters / other diaper choice questions...

We've heard the debate about doubling vs. inserts, but what about a diaper with higher capacity vs. one with a lower capacity with inserts?

Other than a recent bag of Molicare Soft Super (which I didn't really like), I haven't worn diapers since the start of my last long-term vanilla relationship, and I understand that a lot has changed about product offerings since then! I used to like Lille Supreme Maxis as a good and cost-effective product, but - you've guessed it - the new cloth cover puts me off.

Here is my dilemma: for the same price per diaper as a Lille Supreme Maxi (stated absorbency 3370ml), I could get the Lille Classic Extra, which IS plastic-backed for now, and add a couple of boosters (2400ml + 600ml + 600ml = 3600ml - both options are around 0.50 in total). Would that be as effective, or indeed better? Or would I just be better off paying a bit more for a plastic-backed diaper still in production, like a Tena Slip Maxi (despite the lower stated capacity - around 0.60) or a Abena Delta Form M3 (around 0.68)?

It is vital that any option:
    1. Can take flooding
    2. Fit closely (I am on the very bottom end of the sizing for medium and am also a girl, so mediums tend to run a bit big for my waist, though smalls too small for my hips and the absorbency so much lower)
    3. Have the comfort and working capacity for extended wear

Help much appreciated... I'm confused by all the choice these days! Thank you!

Hmm i did not like cloth back nappies at 1st but know i have come to really like them i wear the Lille Supreme max i get mine for 15 for a pack of 26 nappies i find i like them more then the big name ones i have try'd. I like cloth back feel's more like a huggies super dry. I know its not for every one but i like the saggy nappy feeling lol and never had any problems with waking up feeling wet or any think like that but i do uses baby powder with them as find it works better.

"Tena Slip Maxi (despite the lower stated capacity - around 0.60) or a Abena Delta Form M3 (around 0.68)?"

Unfortunately, those are turning cloth-backed. While you can still find some here and there. Production are over if I'm not mistaken.

Just my 2 cents, the Molicare Supers are OK at best in my opinion as well.

I have grown rather fond of lower end diapers with the inserts. Due to laziness and not reordering a fresh supply of my normal bambinos I have been using the tranquility slim lines carried by a local Home med store, and their inserts which have worked pretty darn close to what I'm used to. Actually ended up being much cheaper also.

My favorite combination is Depends with a really good sized booster like the ones from Bambino. It was really easy to separate the end of the diaper allowing you to slip the booster into the padding. This made a much better fit and I noticed that it reduced the risk of leakage to have the booster in the diaper as opposed to on it. Also, this gave the Depends a great wicking and absorption capability as the Depend is all wood pulp (fast wicking) and the booster is all SAP (extreme capacity and gelling). I also much preferred the six tape design for a great custom/comfortable fit that reduced leaks and I found the plastic backing, while not soft or really quiet, was extremely durable due to it's thickness. This diaper/pad combo rivaled some of the higher end diapers in performance and surpassed many in fit and comfort due to fit.

The great thing too, is that the combo was cheaper than heck! You could get 40 premium performing diapers for something like 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a case of premium diapers. I really miss this combo actually. It is just getting too hard to find Depends off the shelf. I would rock this combo as my daily use diaper and just keep the premiums for special occasions or overnight use. The biggest down side I found with them actually is the leak guards just weren't all that tall compared to the premiums, or as comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by koda42 View Post
    "Tena Slip Maxi (despite the lower stated capacity - around 0.60) or a Abena Delta Form M3 (around 0.68)?"

Unfortunately, those are turning cloth-backed. While you can still find some here and there. Production are over if I'm not mistaken.
    ARRRRRRGHHHH!

I think I'll finally plump for 2x delivery costs and get both the Lille plastics + boosters and the Tena Slip Maxi...

I would rate a Lille Classic Extra with an insert or two as better than a Lille Supreme Maxi, but Tena Maxis are better than either of those options. The trouble with an insert is it raises the padding above the leg-guards making the whole thing more prone to leaking at the sides. IMO it's better to use the insert as a stuffer; cut a slit in the backing and shove it inside, seal the slit with duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by acid4blood View Post
    Just my 2 cents, the Molicare Supers are OK at best in my opinion as well.
    Something about Molicare just doesn't agree with me. I currently have the premium, breathable ones and am still prone to rash even after using after a break...

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    I would rate a Lille Classic Extra with an insert or two as better than a Lille Supreme Maxi, but Tena Maxis are better than either of those options. The trouble with an insert is it raises the padding above the leg-guards making the whole thing more prone to leaking at the sides. IMO it's better to use the insert as a stuffer; cut a slit in the backing and shove it inside, seal the slit with duct tape.
    I'm a girl, so that leg guard point is actually vital. Thank you.

The thing about modding is that the aesthetics (in the eye of my dominant) are very important, and duct tape would kinda ruin the mood for him

Thanks for the help everyone. In the end I just ordered a sample assortment of 12 (Abena, Attends 9/10, Lille Classic and Supreme, Molicare Superplus, Tena Slip). Double shipping isn't cheap, but neither is a case of useless diapers and at least I get to try the small/medium in each size for fit too... verdicts to come