Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding wooden high-chair

toujoursbb

Default Folding wooden high-chair

Now that I was able to have somebody make a high-chair for me, I am very happy, but realize it would even be better if it was folding. I am reluctant (perhaps should not) in buying a baby high chair such as the so-cute one of Baby23 re: body weight limits (I weight 67 kg).

Thus google found this
    one shown below, thought it was Ok, could ask babyish cushions. Emailed the website in question, asked whether they could make a bigger one, etc, ... and got back a kind answer, but also asking me how many I would order the first time...

Someone has another idea re: getting a AB folding high chair ? I alluded to one in wood, but could be made differently as long as remaining babyish and able to sustain more than the usual 15 kg...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chaise-haute pliante.jpg 
Views:	10349 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	17652

I am amazed that with the amount of people who would like a highchair, that there isn't someone out there who would make them in either wood or metal.

There has got to be some handmen out there who could do this for AB's who want highchairs. Surely.

The closest i got to one was an old (1950's) wooden school dental chair. It was totally portable and very strong. It was also totally adjustable from upright position to completely lay back position. Height could also be adjusted. It would take the full weight on any adult as well.
    I bought one and renovated it and was planning to put a normal large plastic tray on it from a real highchair...but, with moving house recently i had to sell it as i had nowhere to store in in private. I am gutted, as i was so looking forward to transforming it. It really did look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVES4000 View Post
    I am amazed that with the amount of people who would like a highchair, that there isn't someone out there who would make them in either wood or metal.

There has got to be some handmen out there who could do this for AB's who want highchairs. Surely.

The closest i got to one was an old (1950's) wooden school dental chair. It was totally portable and very strong. It was also totally adjustable from upright position to completely lay back position. Height could also be adjusted. It would take the full weight on any adult as well.
    I bought one and renovated it and was planning to put a normal large plastic tray on it from a real highchair...but, with moving house recently i had to sell it as i had nowhere to store in in private. I am gutted, as i was so looking forward to transforming it. It really did look the part.
    I would speculate that since it's a substantial item both in terms of cost and space requirements, it doesn't quite make the cut of being financially viable. We're a small market to begin with and then there are the style considerations as well. Wooden ones are the ones we typically see offered and I wouldn't give you a nickel for them (if I were in the market) as they leave me totally flat. Show me a scaled up steel piped, folding model with vinyl and I'd be far more tempted to think about where I might fit it. The person who is expert in making wooden highchairs is unlikely to be as proficient with metal ones and vice versa. It's not quite like diapers, or even cribs.

toujoursbb

I think you're quite right. I will inquire whether the wood guy I know who makes AB furniture in Québec if he has ideas on this. I suspect the market is not small-small, though only a fraction of the usual market... Thus, we have to convince Graco and the like...... In all ABs in the world, there got to be someone able to make the prototype, and a business person to organize the business plan. I know people who could make the cushions... Hopes and dreams keep us going?

I too would much prefer the metal and vinyl highchair. Much more realistic.

Re problems sourcing or having them made....well i guess the other issue is having to come out and let one know that you are into the Ab and highchair scene.
    What other excuse could we have when approaching someone to make anything AB related.

Daves4000, that is my kind of highchair. Metal, as it cleans easily, feels like it is strong, and adds points for extra safety straps. Vinyl, especially like soft vinyl, or similar to those that come with high chairs like peg perego.

Well,

There are a few high chairs available that would fit most every ab...

Google special needs high chair...

But, they are high price due to the following....
    1- low quantity produced...
    2- large size so high shipping costs...
    3- larger models need more strength and the weight to handle larger occupient...
    4- more design and testing needed for comfort and usefulness...babies don't complain as much as adults do...

B

toujoursbb

Quote Originally Posted by DAVES4000 View Post
    I too would much prefer the metal and vinyl highchair. Much more realistic.

Re problems sourcing or having them made....well i guess the other issue is having to come out and let one know that you are into the Ab and highchair scene.
    What other excuse could we have when approaching someone to make anything AB related.
    Up to now, when I have ordered AB clothes, diapers, pacifiers, and my wooden high-chair, I have dealt with people who obviously could theritically make a ling between my name and a AB guy. Since they are openly in the AB business, I suppose that confidentiality is a must and comes naturally.

When I exchanged emails with the baby folding high chair manufacturer, I assume that the person realized this discussion was for a "unusual" baby but she remained focussed on the technical and business issues and my guess is that she would not care to much if the business plan could work.

I think that the main problem is really first to find somebody able to make a metal-plastic-vinyl AB high-chair, since people making AB furniture, generally wooden, are already outthere.

Of course it would cost more than a baby high chair for reasons already mentionned by a Bigbabybret and others. I'd be willing to pay more for the dream high-chair...

Bigbabybrett Said:

"Well,

There are a few high chairs available that would fit most every ab...

Google special needs high chair...

But, they are high price due to the following....
    1- low quantity produced...
    2- large size so high shipping costs...
    3- larger models need more strength and the weight to handle larger occupient...
    4- more design and testing needed for comfort and usefulness...babies don't complain as much as adults do...

B"

For me, an older adult with Mild Autism & Mild Cerebral Palsy, I would probably use an "institutional" "Gerri Chair" with a "wrap-around spill-proof tray".

Still such an item is expensive.

Woody

Yes,

The intuitional type items are expensive...

But, they will last just about forever...

A real baby highchair will only be used for a few years, then thrown out, an adult one will be usefull for many more years as well...

So, I have some "professional" equipment...and it will outlast me...

Like my push chair from con aid it's built sturdy...

Now, ive looked int other items like feeder seats and such and whial expensive...look at it like this...

Take the cost of the item, and divide by the time used and resale value...you'll be surprised at how low the cost really is...

Diaper, 4-6 hours for $2, so approx $8-$12 per day or $.50 an hour

Push chair say one use per month...6 hours...
    Cost $1000.00
    Life span at once a month use...forever...say 10 years...
    So, 10 years at once a month 120 outings 6 hours each...for 720 hours...
    Cost per hour, $1.39 per hour...
    And that's not counting any resale value either...
    So, it's a bit of money, but not as much as you think...

Now, that's full retail, most the push chairs, feeder seats, etc...are available used for much less...

And if you have the item, you may in fact use it more than expected as well...

Just my take!
    B