Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best (and worst) creation that humanity has conceived?

Default What is the best (and worst) creation that humanity has conceived?

Ok, so the title is pretty self explanatory, but I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this.

To me, the greatest invention we have come up with is written word. The fact that we are able to translate ideas and thoughts onto paper and even immortalise it, is absolutely incredible. Furthermore, the power that written word has is also awe inspiring; such a medium can bring down governments, and equally raise new ones up. They encapsulate our laws and customs, and pretty much everything we can imagine.

On the other hand, the worst invention, in my opinion, humanity has come up with, is nuclear weaponry. We have actually created something that could very well wipe us out, or end civilisation at the very least. I see no positives to something that can indiscriminately wipe out 100s of thousands of people in the blink of an eye.

Feel free to disagree with me, and I am curious to hear your opinions on whatever you perceive to be the best and worst creations of our species.

The car (and other engine based modes of transportation) and the car. It's great to move around faster in hours instead of days and to get products delivered fast and fresh. On the other hand, cars are expensive to buy and maintain, they have polluted our air and due to numerous reasons, have caused thousands and thousands of deaths.

the best of course is the concept and the act of;
    community and camaraderie.....

the worst is the inhumanity of;
    slavery, indentured servitude and chattel....
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 07-Jul-2013 at 01:50.

In my opinion it is the snooze button. I both love and hate that thing.

Estradiol Valerate.

I actually sit up at night, fretting over the nature of what would happen if there were an apocalypse and my pills weren't available..

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    Ok, so the title is pretty self explanatory, but I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this.

To me, the greatest invention we have come up with is written word. The fact that we are able to translate ideas and thoughts onto paper and even immortalise it, is absolutely incredible. Furthermore, the power that written word has is also awe inspiring; such a medium can bring down governments, and equally raise new ones up. They encapsulate our laws and customs, and pretty much everything we can imagine.

On the other hand, the worst invention, in my opinion, humanity has come up with, is nuclear weaponry. We have actually created something that could very well wipe us out, or end civilisation at the very least. I see no positives to something that can indiscriminately wipe out 100s of thousands of people in the blink of an eye.

Feel free to disagree with me, and I am curious to hear your opinions on whatever you perceive to be the best and worst creations of our species.
    As soon as I saw the title of your thread I thought the same two as you. Everything we know and can convey is done by language. Language allows us to think and to build, block by block. Even mathematical concepts are thought through with words as well as numbers. The beauty of some prose has made me cry in much the same way as music. The power of writing brought us the Magna Carter and The Declaration of Independence. It has toppled empires and given us prose such as, "and of all the mysteries that contributed to Gatsby's collection, they were now reduced by one," referring to the green light at the end of the Daisey's dock.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

As for the atomic bomb, it is the destroyer of worlds. Pollution may be our end, however, as we don't go out with a bang, but with a cough.

The best thing: The Great Books

The worst thing: ?????? Greed. Or better yet from "OH God", "My biggest mistake was Pockets, man thinks they have to be filled!"

The meanest thing: The Rubics Cube !

While I myself am not spiritual, I'd have to say the best/worst thing would be organized religion. It can make entire countries unite for a common purpose, be it to destroy other countries, or to advance themselves. It gives people a reason to live, and it gives people a reason to end others' lives.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Hmm, hard to say.

For the best thing we've ever made, I'd have to go with the Printing Press. The ability to easily make books readily available totally revolutionized civilizations and allowed us to grow with the easily accessible material.

For the worst thing we've ever made, I'd go with nuclear weapons as now we can essentially wipe out the entire planet with these things.