Thread: Knee replacement surgery

Default Knee replacement surgery

Next Tuesday, July 9, I'm going into hospital to have my right knee removed and replaced with a mechanical one. Provided that there are no complications, they tell me to expect to be in hospital about 5 days, plus possibly another week in a rehabilitation hospital if becoming able to walk and climb stairs doesn't progress fast enough to allow me to go home after 5 days.

The prospect of surgery is scary. My incontinence is the result of a surgical misadventure when I was 14 years old. So I'm naturally pretty apprehensive about what might go wrong this time. This will also be my first extended hospital stay in more than 30 years. Thirty-five years ago, the hospital kept me in cloth diapers after I wet the bed a couple if time. This time, of course I'll be in disposables. I hope that they will let me wear my Abenas that I will bring in from home. But if they insist that I wear whatever the hospital provides, I'll have to go along with it.

Wish me luck! And if you're religious, I would also appreciate a prayer.

I wish you luck in your knee replacement surgery. Their Physical Therapists will have you out of bed shortly after your surgery and get you started on your rehab. I had a implant put in my left
    forearm 4 years ago after being hit by a car. I know my rehab took about 3 months. Some of my friends that have the surgery are usually out of the hospital in 3 to 4 days. Our prayers are with you.

Courage and healing.
    I've never been in the hospital before (inpatient) and so I have no advice. It seems as though it would vary from facility to facility and even from nurse to nurse. I would doubt, however, that they would object to using your supplies from home...especially if you bring a new sealed bag to begin with. I could imagine that perhaps as you will have a variety of nurses throughout the day and week, you may have to routinely remind them that you would like to use your own equipment.

Hi I usually do not look into this forum but the thread title caught my eye. I can empathize having messed up knees and ankles. I know of two people that have had their knees done and they are happy now that it is over. I did a stint of in and out of the hospital last year and I would wish that on no one. Best of luck.

You're gonna be alright. The medical world has gotten knee replacement down. Good luck with the rehab. When it's all over your knee should feel better than before.

I had back surgery in April and though it wasn't something I wanted to do, I pursued the surgery so I could live once again without extreme pain. You have to look to a better future, and then you'll feel better about it. It's not fun being put under, but every day after will be a better day. Hold the faith!

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. The new technology is wonderful and these doctors are very well trained. Good luck!

All I know is that bad knees and diaper changes can be interesting and sometimes my knee goes out as I am getting a clean diaper.

I hope this went well! Im 29 and need knee replacement because of being hit by a car, but the doctors say I am too young and I need to wait. The recovery is tough, but just don't slack on the rehab exercises! Good luck!