Thread: Man of steel

Default Man of steel

Anyone see the film yet ?
    I really enjoyed it. Probably doesn't help that I'm a massive Superman fan *look to see Avatar*
    I saw a few other movie posts on here, so i decided to make this one.
    Anyone see it yet ? Love it ? Like it ? Hate it ?
    It's getting very polarizing reviews from critics, general public seems to really like it more than the 2006 film, so i guess that's a plus. I mean 520 million WW in 3 weeks?

I just saw it yesterday. I liked it more than I expected but I don't think it dealt all that faithfully with the source material. I will grant it was better than Superman Returns but that's not a high bar to pass. It feels like a movie about a Superman not about the one I know.

Yeah its quite a different interpretation of the character, basically Superman put in a dark world. The film was very much influenced from Earth One graphic novels and John Bryne's Superman. I'm glad you liked it though. I am not a huge fan of Zack Snyder as a filmmaker, i thought he did pretty good with this, but there were still some things that bugged me. The action was relentless, but for a character who hasn't thrown a punch on film since 1980, meh i guess it was overdue. I'm optimistic about the eventual sequel. I liked the foundation they have set up. Something tells me the sequel will be less sci-fi/Krypton and more focused on Earth, thus it will feel more like a traditional Superman film.

I didnt like it. I felt as though the movie was pushing a religious agenda :'[ I had pretty high hopes for it as well. It was visually stunning, but i dont think im a superman fan.

Quote Originally Posted by LilBiker View Post
    I loved it! Cant wait to see the next one
    Me too ! I really liked it and I'm glad they are not trying to continue with the old 80's films. It's time to do something different.
    Last edited by PaddedSuperboy; 06-Jul-2013 at 17:01.

The main reason it was "different" and "darker" is because it was an attempt to ground the character in the fashion of the dark knight trilogy (Nolan was even the executive producer). I appreciate what they did with it in that respect, and the movie certainly served as a great intro, but I found that it jumped around a little too much for a bit. I certainly loved the movie, as it came together in the end, however I almost think that it could have been split into a couple movies due to all they tried to cram into the first half or so. Basically have his growing up be one movie with a side plot of you-know-who's journey searching for superman and leave at a cliffhanger, then have the next movie be what the last half was ultimately about.

Anyway, point is that it could have done better, but it was still a great movie and I can't wait for the sequel to see where they go.

I thought it was pretty good. The movies needed an update and when you think of it there hasn't been a good Superman movie since Superman II back in 1980. It's been rubbish since then. The stuff on Krypton went on a bit too long but afterwards the pacing was pretty good. The fight scenes looked spectacular, albeit a bit long.

I think the reason for the mixed reviews is because of the 'darker' tone which seemed to emulate the feel of The Dark Knight trilogy. The problem is that Batman was conceived as a darker character so Nolan's trilogy did justice to the character. The Superman character was always seen as the more positive hero, sort of the other side of the coin to Batman. So some people may have had a difficult time with the interpretation. Unlike Superman Returns, however, I look forward to the sequel of this one.