Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth or disposable?

Default Cloth or disposable?

So, I came across the below study:
    http://www.nursingtimes.net/Journals...continence.pdf

From what I can make of that study, there is a pretty down attitude towards reusable products.
    "The subjects in this study were very critical of the products and felt that improvement was needed in all four key areas of leakage/absorbency, discreetness, comfort and fit."

In short, they pretty much sucked, however there were a few products where they worked for individuals, around trial and error.

Thoughts either way?
    I'm really not that keen on disposables - Not that comfortable, not thick enough, severe leakage due stomach sleeping. Not cool :p

Personally I pref disposables due to cleanup. I've never tried cloth (since I live with my parents still and cleanup would be impossible), but I'm interested in wearing a cloth diaper, they look awesome and thick. I need to wait though D: .

cloth ones arent cute enough for me. Synthetic all the way! The way the crinkle and hug your butt and stuff is unparramount to ugly plastic pants and a pinned towel :P

I wear for need & pleasure (IC & DL)... I've tried cloth in the past - my motivation being the high cost.
    I've tried some home made one, bought a couple of really expensive AIO (all in one diapers)... got some "good" plastic pants.
    But honestly: hate. I dislike them at "best".

What I still use once in a while is my "home made" cloth system: two of those fancy trekking/outdoor microfibre towels (with added velcro fasteners) and a PolyUrethane (PU Plastic pant) over it.
    This is my "travel" diaper (and I've made pads from this as well) when I travel to areas where I either can't have all the luggage the disposables would require or know that it's going to be difficult to get hold of any/good IC products.
    That combo works quite well. but the "drawbacks" of cloth are still there:

To me the reasons why I mostly dislike cloth diapers are as following:

- WET Feeling - I feel like really wet all the time. (there's no SAP, no fast drying inner sheet, etc.)... so every time you move, sit down, etc... the urine will squish out to the top and you will feel that yuck wetness.
    - Thickness... if you want to get a night-time diaper (I usually wear attends M10 Reg. which is plenty for my bedwetting, and pads during the day) - it will be a thick cloth diaper... which I totally dislike (I like to feel next-to-nothing of my diaper so I can move freely/easily).
    - Thickness ... daytime... this is even more difficult to get it to a point where it's concealable (I don't want to waddle... I don't want the buldge of a thicker cloth pad).
    - On the go changing: you need a watertight bag (zip-lock, double at best), 'cause you can not just throw it away. unpractical and nasty if you go through a few pads a day.
    - Washing. you need to pre-wash by hand quickly EACH morning / evening, if you can't do a washing cycle EVERY DAY (which is silly imho). .. so you need to pre-wash unless you fancy smelly wet diapers in the washing pail if you can wash like once a week (or even twice).
    - The STAIN ... yeah, they get a yellowish stain over time (at least most often)... which despite being "Clean" still looks like a pee spot.. unleass you use a lot of bleach (environment...... )
    - PLASTIC PANTS (I simply hate the normal plastic pants... sweaty, chafing garments...) ... If I have to, I use a Polyurethane type "plastic pant" which is a LOT nicer (but yet not as nice as a disposable).
    - SMELL: this is probably worst if you're like me and like NOT to Smell like you've just peed your pants (I'm IC)... the disposables "bind" the smell much better (so usually no one is any wiser if you change frequently and clean up nicely....) but with the cloth ones it's just a lot worse (again, no SAP).

So for me: Emergency alternative only.

I personally wear disposables most often, but I do own one cloth diaper and one pair of plastic pants from baby-pants. Disposables are the easiest to wear and not be noticed, but I find that I like cloth just because I can wear them more frequently since they're reusable. I don't typically wet my cloth because I don't like dealing with washing them more than I have to, but it's nice to always have something you can wear from when you're out of diapers. One thing, I refuse to mess cloth at all. I also enjoy wearing a cloth diaper over top of a disposable diaper to add thickness, especially if it's a cheap disposable.

I want to get cloth diapers, because reusing them would of course save me money in the long run, however, with the clean up necessary and with me still living with my parents, cloth diapers aren't a good idea, so I stick with disposables for now.

Quote Originally Posted by okram View Post
    So, I came across the below study:
    http://www.nursingtimes.net/Journals...continence.pdf

From what I can make of that study, there is a pretty down attitude towards reusable products.
    "The subjects in this study were very critical of the products and felt that improvement was needed in all four key areas of leakage/absorbency, discreetness, comfort and fit."

In short, they pretty much sucked, however there were a few products where they worked for individuals, around trial and error.

Thoughts either way?
    I'm really not that keen on disposables - Not that comfortable, not thick enough, severe leakage due stomach sleeping. Not cool :p
    I'm a fan of cloth diapers.

However, based on the audience for which this study was intended (and their patients), some of the considerations that I would ignore myself become paramount, and some of the advice I would give would be inappropriate. I also understand the results. I've found that all-in-ones and various other reusable options that are designed for minimal effort to put on don't work all that well. It's hard to get a satisfactory fit and the absorbency isn't there. Of course, this makes sense to me, since cloth diapers tend to loosen and sag dramatically as they get wetter, making fit difficult to begin with let alone after one has put it on. It also takes thicker cloth (about 1.5 times the thickness, by my crude estimation) to match the absorbency of a disposable. If we're talking about a crowd that values thinness but still needs moderate to heavy absorption, it becomes a tricky proposition.

I think the article's recommendations were well-considered for the intended audience, though. Consider reusable products at night when the patient needs protection more than discreetness, and consider disposables when discreetness is more important.

I will point out, however, the study's extremely small sample size as well as the fact that the article is dated 2004. I am thinking there have been some advances in product design in the last decade even in the cloth realm for adults since then. At the very least, I would like to think that some of the kinks have been worked out of some of the product types they sampled back then.

I like both and mix it up a bit. Variety is the spice of life lol. Actually I do like the softness of cloth it's very comfy. And since my mom used these a fair bit on me I guess it fits with my experience... Disposables were always used for going out. I Suppose she was trying to save money.

I do like the feeling and look of a disposable especially getting about, but really don't mind the the cloth/plastic option at bedtime. (Oh BTW - laundry does suck - disposables are convenient)

disposables for sure, the crinkly sound, cute designs on the diapers and an easier clean up. The only thing is that disposables are expensive.

Disposeable for me, as much as it is very not friendly for my wallet, I would rather have something that feels like something a baby/very young child would wear instead of something that a child in the 50's would wear.

Maybe it's just something feel wise, but my choice is the ones that make me feel more like a baby than anything else.