Thread: Tooth Problem, Possible Infection

Default Tooth Problem, Possible Infection

Ok, so I don't know where this should be posted at, but today I noticed a bump in my gums that when touched causes pain. It is above my right canine. I am wondering is it possible that the use of my paci could be the cause, or is there another cause. Also, should I go see a dentist? Any advice or help would be very useful. Thank you.

Pacifiers increase the risk of infection, but I can't say whether or not this is the cause. As a Type 1 Diabetic I'm prone to mouth issues, and have had this happen more than once. Most of the time it was after the gums got cut by something. It's a little painful but always cleared itself up quickly (under a week.) If in doubt see a dentist, but personally I would monitor it and wait to see if it clears up or gets worse. Also do not touch it will increase inflammation and risk further contamination.

Hhhmmm... I don't think your paci caused this. I know when I had a tooth infection, it hurt a lot even to eat pudding. You might want to give it a couple days then see a dentist if it doesn't go away.

On a side note, I've wondered if you can develop oral problems from unwashed pacifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by paciloverbaby3 View Post
    Ok, so I don't know where this should be posted at, but today I noticed a bump in my gums that when touched causes pain. It is above my right canine. I am wondering is it possible that the use of my paci could be the cause, or is there another cause. Also, should I go see a dentist? Any advice or help would be very useful. Thank you.

Agree with Cauthon, I have tmj and mine can feel like they need a root canal when nothing at all is wrong. On the bump if it hurts when you touch it that can be an indication of a more serious issue or just a mouth polyp, I used to get them when I was younger on a regular basis. As mentioned above keep hands off it unless you have on gloves and I would probe it with gloves gently to see if felt hot that would definitely warrant an infection inspection by a dentist. In the meantime applying a sugar free oral anesthetic like orajel or some store brand with gloves for the rub on kind or a brush for the liquid kind would work to relieve the pain immediately. I would also probe gently at the gum and push down slightly with some sort of rounded plastic tooth pic to see if readily released and material or bleeds easily as those would be rather obvious signs of infection vs. something more benign. Always though if in doubt see the dentist I know it cost money but catching it early is better than it spreading and losing a tooth possibly teeth or worse. I am not a dentist nor a doctor so do not take this at that level it just comes from extensive dental history of 2 root canals, a couple of rebuilds, many fillings, a cracked tooth from tmj pressure, and psoriasis and keratosis that not only form on my skin but also inside my mouth. When they form in the mouth for me they are much like what you are talking about an inexplicable hard spot that is painful when touched and sometimes just painful period and can seem to come out of nowhere. Mine seem only form on the walls of my mouth most of the time but I do get the occasional on them on the roof of my mouth or under my tongue on the floor of my mouth. I do not think that is stretch that something like this could jump to a gum and be very painful and troubling. Hopefully it clears in a few days or you make some head way into what it is I know how much distress mouth pain can cause.
    Please let us know what you find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    Hhhmmm... I don't think your paci caused this. I know when I had a tooth infection, it hurt a lot even to eat pudding. You might want to give it a couple days then see a dentist if it doesn't go away.

On a side note, I've wondered if you can develop oral problems from unwashed pacifiers.
    Yes you can pacifiers will retain plaque and other bacteria, and should be cleaned well regularly, rinsed and brushed like your teeth everyday, and boiled once a month or so is the standard, though some people get away with less the method mentioned is considered to be the line to aspire to.

I get these ulcers with relative frequency; one my canines sticks out slightly and so I often inadvertently bite my gums when chewing. It's nothing to worry about, unless it sticks around for more than a week. You should then go see a doctor; a dentist won't be much use as they're mainly qualified for teeth, not infections. Hope it goes away soon, they're really annoying!

I do not use a paci but get a canker sore at least once a month. They can be quite painful and sometimes appear at the gumline. They usually go away within a week. Rinsing with warm salt water 2 or 3 times a day helps reduce the inflammation. As mentioned above, if the sore lasts longer than a week, see a dentist as it could be a pocket of bacteria (abscess) which would require antibiotics.

Generally, a bump like what you describe is the beginnings of an abscess. Get thee to a dentist, post-haste! Infection can literally eat away parts of your jaw, not to mention that if you're feeling this now, chances are good that you already have considerable internal damage to some teeth. Do not wait for your tooth to break off. Go now. Trust me, having a molar break in half is unpleasant.

don't forget to clean and sterilize your toothbrushes before use, boys and girls.

While I will admit that the bump above your right canine is odd, I don't believe it's an infection. It could be from a myriad of causes. I know that I get bumps on the inside of my mouth in various locations fairly often, and they're almost always painful. I'd say give it a couple days, and if it hurts too to much, try taking medication. If it's still there after a couple of days, I'd recommend first visiting a doctor(because, while it's a mouth problem, a doctor will know more and it's cheaper for an examination from a doctor than a dentist) and if it becomes too serious, visit a dentist.

Also, while your first response may be to clean your teeth more, keep in mind, it could be caused by brushing too roughly/too often.