Thread: Connections between multiple personality and "littles"

Default Connections between multiple personality and "littles"

I was just thinking. As an ab, I have my little side. He has a name. Also I'm a Daddy. My fiancÚ has her little; she has a name.
    Both of these have different personalities from each other and ones self.
    I know that people who have a little side (name and all) go in and out as they please were MP can't really help it.

Do you think that some people may suffer from a very slight multiple personality disorder who are deeply rooted into the AB/DL lifestyle? Or is it totally by choice and nothing else.

I'm not trying to offend anybody here, just an interesting conversation

Also. Please move this if it isn't in the right spot

I was curious about this myself, since I do see what you're saying. The idea of having a separate personality does sound a lot like dissociative identity disorder (DID, the more modern name for multiple personalities). When I looked into it, I found two big differences between AB/DL and DID.

First, people with DID are controlled by their alternate personalities - their behaviour is taken over, and they can't control themselves. That doesn't happen with my little side. When I regress, I'm still aware of being an adult, even though I perceive the world differently and feel littler. I'm not controlled, and can quit my regressed state if I have to. I think this is true of most ABs.

Second, people with DID tend not to remember what happens when an alternate personality takes over. This leads to quite a lot of personal chaos! But I, and other ABs, seem to remember perfectly well what happens when we regress.

Our separate personalities seem to be integrated into our lives, and usually aren't harmful (I think some take it to extremes, causing problems, but AB/DL is safe in moderation). So I think it's quite different from DID.

I have been thinking a lot about this and in conclusion as Adventurer already pointed out: DID would be way different.

Anyway... what I think: Is it really another personality or is it only another side of you. Simple as that why should it be another personality... do you have other personality traits, different thoughts about what you are and want to be, what to do with your life and ultimately are you a total different person only because you're regressing?

I... I mean I can only answer this for myself, since I just know how I tick exactly... so no. I'm no different person, it's a different side of how I am.
    Perhaps I tend to perceive things different and react also in conclusion quite different in contrast to my normal behaviour, which is reasonable and understable, since I'm regressing..

But I'm still me, myself and I... nothing more and nothing less. I'm only living out the side, which is rather impossible in other scenarios. So I'm only using a different bunch of my personality traits just the same way I react different when I'm communicating with people on a serious basis, i.e. work and internships, so business like in contrast to being with my friends. In the end I'm simply letting out my childish side, when it's possible, another part of my. Which isn't possible to do so otherwise.

And as I mentioned some time ago already, even if you're in denial or are not able to embrace this side for some time.... it can't get lost, it's always there, since it's simply a part of you.
    A complete different personality just sounds unlikely, I'm no different person. What seems plausible though, for me, is that I'm blocking out some aspects or rather tend to react on a different basis of me. So speaking of feelings instead of rational thinking. Which may get me in trouble otherwise and since I learned how to behave so that it's appropriate & is giving me the best result. However in this case I can be hurt and simply react this way, also I can be happy if I enjoy something, no matter how silly it may be. So completely driven by emotions and feelings.
    Only doing things that I like and trying to find new things, which I may like perhaps. On the other hand, directly reacting in a refusing way towards things I can't stand or don't (want to) like. Although reacting bad, despite the fact that I like the current situation as a kind of play, is also possible... well I guess you know what I mean. ;)

Just my thoughts on this... =)

Ok when i'm big i'm big when i'm little i'm little i can control my regression when it happens but some time it dose feel like there is two of me in one. I have come back to edit this as i read it back to my self it just made no sense. I just can't articulate my thoughts into writing. really sorry but this one is beyond me. little leo over and out.
    Last edited by littleleo; 04-Jul-2013 at 01:00.

TBH I don't believe multiple personality has much to do with this... though there is some correlation. As daLira points out, most I think are aware at least at some level of who they are and what they are doing while regressed.

So I think its more a case of tapping into personality traits or characteristics developed at particular times in our lives... accessing or recreating emotional states from deep within our memories. The thing is we have lived these situations at appropriate times in our development and no doubt retain the full memory of them.

Having said all that, there is no doubt in my mind that we have the ability to allow these memory states to take control of the present moment, causing us to behave in all manners appropriate to that mindset.

The thing is that most people state that they have a reasonable conscious recollection of their behavior while regressed, and the ability to direct their own behavior (as the OP suggests be both child and adult simultaneously)

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I was curious about this myself, since I do see what you're saying. The idea of having a separate personality does sound a lot like dissociative identity disorder (DID, the more modern name for multiple personalities). When I looked into it, I found two big differences between AB/DL and DID.

First, people with DID are controlled by their alternate personalities - their behaviour is taken over, and they can't control themselves. That doesn't happen with my little side. When I regress, I'm still aware of being an adult, even though I perceive the world differently and feel littler. I'm not controlled, and can quit my regressed state if I have to. I think this is true of most ABs.

Second, people with DID tend not to remember what happens when an alternate personality takes over. This leads to quite a lot of personal chaos! But I, and other ABs, seem to remember perfectly well what happens when we regress.

Our separate personalities seem to be integrated into our lives, and usually aren't harmful (I think some take it to extremes, causing problems, but AB/DL is safe in moderation). So I think it's quite different from DID.
    I have to agree with most, if not all of this.

For me, whenever I regress (which at this point in time is very rare), I am fully aware of my surroundings of being an adult, but everything is seen as being younger, my emotions, thoughts and literally everything ends up becoming more and more like that of a young child, while my adult brain is just there to keep everything in check and make sure that I don't do anything dumb while in that state of mind.

I have actually met people who have had DID and they did act like Adventurer said, doing something unlike they usually do and not remembering it later on down the line. I'm sure that can be attributed to them having split/multiple personalities or something like that :P

There are those of us who do have a Big and little. Why we may never know. I have sat the tried to figure mine out for yours. There is an Adult me and a Baby me, both are very real.

Quote Originally Posted by krallen View Post
    There are those of us who do have a Big and little. Why we may never know. I have sat the tried to figure mine out for yours. There is an Adult me and a Baby me, both are very real.
    I couldn't agree more krallen, it's the same for me.... the difference is though that I am very much aware before during and after regression of my little self. I think this is the point of departure between what we experience(which is very real I might add) and multiple personality disorders where there is a complete transferal of ones mindset into that of another, with no apparent conscious connection....at least that's how I understand it.... you know I'm not a professional....I just read about it somewhere along the line.

My thoughts are with the majority of the responses. I'm actually surprised there arent more cases though. It just seems like some adults would have an uncontrollable little side from some life altering event in childhood that would bring it on. Unlike our volentary use.
    I'm sure some people have had said event but manage it, which is very good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by krallen View Post
    Krallen, I believe it was a past post of yours that I replied to saying exactly this, that if you were regressing without controlling it in any way, I would be concerned that you could be schizophrenic, and experiencing a second personality. I believe that this post originated from your thread. As others have said on this thread, we all can differentiate between our normal everyday mindset, and our regressed one. We also trigger or regress deliberately, either by wearing diapers or using whatever baby/toddler object which opens that psychological door.

If one was to regress towards an infantile personality spontaneously, with no control and little memory of that event, they should meet with a psychiatrist. There may be in between states, something which you may be experiencing, where you can radically regress, but be aware of it, and even able to break it off. If you can't break it off, then you have a serious problem as that would greatly affect how you interact with the world around you.