Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learning to hold it! tips anyone?

Default learning to hold it! tips anyone?

I've always had a tiny bladder, but ever since i started using diapers.its gotten worse.to be expected i guess! I only pad up once or twice a month since i live with my sister who knows but isn't 100% comfortable!

I found myself having to go potty very often! Every 3 hours! Its worse if i drink lots! I've had cases where i pee and literally 15 minutes later i have to go again!!

Being diapered 24/7 is not a option!! Due to funds and self esteem.

Any tips on strengthening my bladder? Thanks guys! *hugs*

Hmm its a hard one well when you need to pee lay on your back and why? well as you lay down on your back the feeling of needing a pee subsides there for you can hold it for longer and in return may be able to strengthening your bladder i know wired hu but it works for me if i'm in bed and need to pee laying on my back i can hold it for a very long time but as soon as i stand that's it i have to go there and then not that it matters as im in nappies every night. not shore if this will help you or not. good luck super hugs little leo

Quote Originally Posted by Shido View Post
    I've always had a tiny bladder, but ever since i started using diapers.its gotten worse.to be expected i guess! I only pad up once or twice a month since i live with my sister who knows but isn't 100% comfortable!

I found myself having to go potty very often! Every 3 hours! Its worse if i drink lots! I've had cases where i pee and literally 15 minutes later i have to go again!!

Being diapered 24/7 is not a option!! Due to funds and self esteem.

Any tips on strengthening my bladder? Thanks guys! *hugs*
    Hi Shido:
    First let me say that I'm not a doctor so take this advice accordingly.

You might try Kegel exercises. They will help to strengthen the muscles "down below". Just search for it with your favorite search engine and there is also a wikipedia article on it. I should note that this is for muscle tone, not trying to "hold til you burst". The latter can cause kidney damage.

Ooooh that would explain why i can hold it better at night! I sleep on my back!! Well the problem is i work at a animal clinic so laying on my back isn't a option! Most of the times i can just make it to the bathroom. Only times its a problem is when im in a four hour + surgery or on my hour commute home!

But thank you! That trick will work when im at home c:

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh that sounds helpful!!! Thank you for the advice! I will Google it when i get home from work <3

jcrowley1985

If not wanting diapers 24/7 is only a financial concern, many insurances will cover diapers if they are for a legitimate medical incontinence reason. Not sure if you want to bring this up with your doctor or not but he may be able to help you more then any of us. Doctors are sworn to patient confidentiality too, so you need not worry about being embarrassed by telling a doctor.

Just remember, you are among a group here of those who CHOOSE to wear diapers by choice. So you shouldn't feel bad if you have a real medical reason for needing them.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowley1985 View Post
    If not wanting diapers 24/7 is only a financial concern, many insurances will cover diapers if they are for a legitimate medical incontinence reason.
    This is not true. Been there and done that. On incon boards, I've seen posts from disabled vets that can't even get diapers from the VA without a note from a congressman. In general, most insurance companies do not want to pay for long term management, but rather short term fixes. So yeah, they'll pay for OAB medication and that's what a Urologist will probably prescribe right off the bat. Diapers are a last resort for Doctors. They rarely agree to them unless all other things have been tried and failed. And, if they do, good luck on getting insurance to pay for it. Not saying it can't happen, but it's not the norm at least in the US.

Getting back to the original question. Look up information on overactive bladder. There are numerous things you can try. Kegel exercises, timed bathroom breaks, drinking more frequent, but in smaller amounts, staying away from caffeinated drinks, OAB medication, bathroom mapping and biofeedback training. None of these are perfect as I've tried almost all of them, but in combination they may work for you. Good luck.

I think the same advice given to bedwetting kids is probably applicable here because it's all about strengthening your bladder. Try to control it while you're peeing, break the stream and try to stop, exert as much control as you can on the entire process.

If it's not too much work I suggest keeping a journal of how much your drink and when you go potty so you can tell if it's gradually helping with some relevant numbers instead of a gut feeling that could be affected by any number of variables. It doesn't have to be incredibly detailed, it's just there to give you an idea of how you're doing and if it doesn't get better you should go see a doctor.

You might want to go see a doctor anyways and see what they recommend, or browse the internet for exercises that strengthen your bladder.

E: these are male exercises, not sure if it would be the same for female, but I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shido View Post
    I found myself having to go potty very often! Every 3 hours! Its worse if i drink lots!
    Every 3 hours is not really "very often" It is very normal to pee that often.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowley1985 View Post
    If not wanting diapers 24/7 is only a financial concern, many insurances will cover diapers if they are for a legitimate medical incontinence reason.
    Most insurance companies cover reusable diapers such as Cloth diapers and do not cover disposable diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by kwisy View Post
    I think the same advice given to bedwetting kids is probably applicable here because it's all about strengthening your bladder. Try to control it while you're peeing, break the stream and try to stop, exert as much control as you can on the entire process. .
    From the wikipedia.org article on "kegel exercise", it says

"The action of slowing or stopping the flow of urine may be used as a test of correct pelvic floor exercise technique [9] but should not be practiced as a regular exercise to avoid urinary retention."

There is no reference in this article of where the information for this statement came from, so I don't know if it is valid. But I know that urinary retention should be avoided. I had an uncle that had a urinary retention issue due to prostate issues and that in turn caused kidney damage.

thank you guys!! this is really helpful!!! I will work on strengthening my bladder!! I may just bite the bullet and wear some descreets to work, cus those 4-6 hour surgeries are murder XDD