Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I filled out my health survey

Default So I filled out my health survey

Periodically I get questionnaires sent to me by Medicare and Medi-Cal which usually ask how many times a year I see a doctor and whether I've had any surgeries or been in the hospital. This year I noticed a section asking about which assistive devices I use and along with oxygen, wheelchair and crutches (which I don't use) a box said "Diapers/Incontinence" so I checked it. The gimmick they used to get people to send the surveys back in was to offer movie passes. It got me to thinking 'how funny would it be if they sent a Tranquility ATN to go with the movie passes?' I suppose it would ensure a doubly good time!

jcrowley1985

Was there a spot where they asked your age too? That's always a tricky question.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowley1985 View Post
    Was there a spot where they asked your age too? That's always a tricky question.
    Bahahaha, no, but they did have my DOB already stamped in

My insurance tried to bribe me with a $25 Walmart gift card to go to a dentist

I firmly believe that these surveys are EVIL.

It would be much less suspicious in my book, if they wouldn't bother sending you "bribes" (cinema tickets, walmart stuff) to get you to fill it out.

The thing is that without bribes, a lot of people wont fill these surveys out. This is why they often attach some kind of prize or things that you get for providing the information.

At the end of the day, people like medicare need information about the health of people in the population so they know where they need to direct funds to meet the needs of people. Without these surveys they have no way of collecting data considering that GPs cannot collate the information easily (even with digital records) as they often end up writing more in the notes about the problems that people have rather then using the specific fields that are made for that sort of thing. Not to mention that doctors hand written notes dont go into as much detail about all specific problems that a person has (usually this is because a person may have several doctors that they see for different things making it hard).

You might think they are evil but they are necessary so as to be able to provide appropriate care to the population.

I'm generally skeptical when it comes to data-mining and highly personal/confidential information.
    Especially if done on a large scale - and if it's a "Pushy" attempt to get people to take the survey.
    Medical Personal Data is usually considered "private" / "sensitive" - and whilst I know that certain statistics are necessary, I don't see why for example exact date of birth (year should be plenty), the participants name, etc, will add to the DATA QUALITY/INTEGRITY. Statistics concerning medical health should be entirely anonymized - And certainly not pre-filled with your DOB or stuff like this.

there have - for example - been a number of cases where an insurance provider REFUSED to take a customer in because they were privy to previous medical records and the persons health status.
    So yes, such information can (and sometimes will) be used against you.

yes, the surveys do have data that is able to identify you as a person but the reason why they have that kind of information is so that they are able to know if you have participated or not. There are numerous different legal and ethical requirements when taking data about medical problems people have. Of which, the researchers are not allowed to have any information that can identify people in their final published works. If you read the section that explains how they use the data it will tell you all about it there. In the majority of research about health conditions, information about your identity is not used and is de-identified and they most certainly are not able to pass this information onto third parties (such as medical insurance companies). The only time this is an exception is when the research is funded by specific insurance companies in which case that will be clearly visible and they have the obligation to tell you how they use the medical data you provide.

Medical insurance and medical research are NOT the same. You might have cases where a medical insurer has refused to take a customer on because of previous medical records and that is the right of the medical insurer. These are private companies and they control the policies that they make. Dont start comparing apples with oranges. The data medical insurance companies collect about you when you form a policy is purely to determine what kind of health problems you may encounter in the future/have right now so that they can figure out what to charge you as a premium (i.e. someone with a lot of medical problems will have higher premiums because they will use the service far more then say someone who has no medical problems).

Like i said before, dont confuse the two things. Medical insurance providers are private companies so they are the ones with the control. Medical research is (mostly) government/university/hospital funded and as such have moral/legal/ethical constraints placed on them so that the medical data they collect is not passed onto third parties. I think you will find that in the case you said you have seen, the person would have either provided their medical records to the insurance company (because that is often a requirement for forming a policy, or filling out a questionaire about all their medical problems and other lifestyle questions). They could have been with that company before and hence, that is why they know about the person's previous medical history. In short, the insurance provider would have gotten the information from their own sources and not because it has been passed onto them from medical researchers. And i can definitely tell you that the questionaire that the medical insurance providers ask you to fill out when taking a policy with them do not give you freebies to do them because you are seeking a service with them and therefore, in order for them to provide a service to you it is a requirement to provide information about your medical history.

jcrowley1985

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek61 View Post
    yes, the surveys do have data that is able to identify you as a person but the reason why they have that kind of information is so that they are able to know if you have participated or not. There are numerous different legal and ethical requirements when taking data about medical problems people have. Of which, the researchers are not allowed to have any information that can identify people in their final published works. If you read the section that explains how they use the data it will tell you all about it there. In the majority of research about health conditions, information about your identity is not used and is de-identified and they most certainly are not able to pass this information onto third parties (such as medical insurance companies). The only time this is an exception is when the research is funded by specific insurance companies in which case that will be clearly visible and they have the obligation to tell you how they use the medical data you provide.

Medical insurance and medical research are NOT the same. You might have cases where a medical insurer has refused to take a customer on because of previous medical records and that is the right of the medical insurer. These are private companies and they control the policies that they make. Dont start comparing apples with oranges. The data medical insurance companies collect about you when you form a policy is purely to determine what kind of health problems you may encounter in the future/have right now so that they can figure out what to charge you as a premium (i.e. someone with a lot of medical problems will have higher premiums because they will use the service far more then say someone who has no medical problems).

Like i said before, dont confuse the two things. Medical insurance providers are private companies so they are the ones with the control. Medical research is (mostly) government/university/hospital funded and as such have moral/legal/ethical constraints placed on them so that the medical data they collect is not passed onto third parties. I think you will find that in the case you said you have seen, the person would have either provided their medical records to the insurance company (because that is often a requirement for forming a policy, or filling out a questionaire about all their medical problems and other lifestyle questions). They could have been with that company before and hence, that is why they know about the person's previous medical history. In short, the insurance provider would have gotten the information from their own sources and not because it has been passed onto them from medical researchers. And i can definitely tell you that the questionaire that the medical insurance providers ask you to fill out when taking a policy with them do not give you freebies to do them because you are seeking a service with them and therefore, in order for them to provide a service to you it is a requirement to provide information about your medical history.
    *resists the urge to start ranting about insurance policies on premiums for pre existing conditions*

I don't want to start opening that can of worms...

My wife does home hemo dialysis and she has a lot of surveys that come along throughout the year. We just do them because we couldn't afford to pay for dialysis. I used to have to have blood taken, blood pressure and weight taken, all at work in order to keep my health insurance $20.00 cheaper. We all did it, but it seemed very intrusive, especially the blood taking. After several years of this, they suddenly stopped doing it. Now I no longer get the feed back, and my doctor has stopped doing a number of the same tests as well. My guess is that my insurer stopped paying for it.