Thread: TweetPee, the concept device for tweeting about...

Default TweetPee, the concept device for tweeting about...

I saw this article online a few weeks ago. Apparently it's a concept device to help parents find out how many diapers their kid is using. Check it out:

Introducing TweetPee, the geeky way to check your infant's diaper | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTech

Am I the only one who immediately wonders "would that ever work with an adult diaper"? Maybe the padding would be too thick.

Do you think anyone would buy it if it were released commercially?

Well, the future is here, all right. Now parents don't even need to look after their kids' diapers!

When I have kids, I think I'll stick to old-fashioned "Actually taking care of my children and getting off the Internet to check their diapers". I hope this device doesn't take off, because it'll wreck my faith in society even more than it already is.

As for adult diapers? Well, you can tell from the outside if an adult diaper is wet - it feels warm and slightly damp - so I assume the technology would still work. But is this really the sort of thing you want to broadcast to the Internet? Talk about your awkward ways to come out! Maybe if you have a super-secret Twitter and are into diaper humiliation, but otherwise this would be pretty high up on my list of awful ideas. (I know you're not advocating this, by the way, but just in case anyone reading this thinks it's a good idea...)

Thanks for sharing this. I must say, it frightens me how lazy our society is becoming.

It's really not hard to check diapers! I'm not sure why every company is trying to push to make everyone waste their time on Twitter of all things!

You can see if the kid's diaper is wet just by looking at them. Most kids waddle silly and have their diaper flapping around! I've never had a kid or babysat but I'm confident I could take a look at a kid and figure out if he needs a change.

One does have to wonder about having a radio source attached to your baby's midsection 24x7. As a parent, I probably wouldn't do it. The benefit isn't worth any risk in this case, even though there is little evidence to support fears of cancers due to low-power stuff like this. Seriously, how lazy have we become?

The only tangible benefit here is to the diaper companies. Having a device like this just means you'll change diapers more often than you otherwise would (more often than necessary), and so you'll be buying more diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Well, the future is here, all right. Now parents don't even need to look after their kids' diapers!

When I have kids, I think I'll stick to old-fashioned "Actually taking care of my children and getting off the Internet to check their diapers". I hope this device doesn't take off, because it'll wreck my faith in society even more than it already is....
    Is this device REALLY any different than a baby monitor? You're the same age as me, I bet your parents had a little wlkie-talke to know when you were crying if they were out of earshot, and we turned out... to be diaper-wearing freaks, but that's not the point - the point is: this just cuts out the need for the baby to start crying to know it's wet - it's really just an electronic wetness indicator, and who complains about them?

Haha..I had to laugh at the idea of an adult having this, sending a report to Twitter and friends.

"Hey look! I'm peeing in my diaper. Oh look, I'm peeing in my diaper again. O look! I'm a complete idiot!!!"

As for needing that for your toddler, ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    Is this device REALLY any different than a baby monitor? You're the same age as me, I bet your parents had a little wlkie-talke to know when you were crying if they were out of earshot, and we turned out... to be diaper-wearing freaks, but that's not the point - the point is: this just cuts out the need for the baby to start crying to know it's wet - it's really just an electronic wetness indicator, and who complains about them?
    I see your point. But with a baby monitor, you can here the baby crying right away, and know to go tend to them. With this device, you don't know your baby's wet until you happen to check your Twitter, which could be a while (unless it notifies you somehow; I don't have Twitter). Your child could be sitting there wet for a while until you log in to Twitter. So I still favour the old-fashioned way.

As for the fact that we turned out to be diaper-wearing freaks... well, at least I now know I can blame my AB/DL side on my parents' use of a baby monitor! Now I just need something to blame the whole LG thing on...

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I see your point. But with a baby monitor, you can here the baby crying right away, and know to go tend to them. With this device, you don't know your baby's wet until you happen to check your Twitter, which could be a while (unless it notifies you somehow; I don't have Twitter). Your child could be sitting there wet for a while until you log in to Twitter. So I still favour the old-fashioned way.
    There are ways to set up twitter on your phone, so it notifies you when you have a new tweet. In this way I'd imagine it'd be very similar to a baby monitor.

On top of that, it looks like the app has other uses. Namely, it would allow you to easily track how often the diapers are being used, and budget for them. I'd imagine harried parents aren't always on top of counting how many diapers they have left!

I grew up in a world where the baby monitor was shaped like an ear and located on the sides of a parents head but even though I'd like to hate this, I still wonder if its better than 'the sniff test'.