Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effects and Strength of Senna.

Error404

Default Effects and Strength of Senna.

So. Before I start this. I'm not looking for a lecture on laxative use, I'm well aware of possible side effects and I also know about laxative abuse. I don't plan on ANY of this.

What I DO want to know is:

How strong is Senna?

What are the results? (Softener or Bulker? - Please don't be detailed...)

Does it induce any cramps?

What can I expect? (Apart from the obvious)

No lectures please! Just info. I've done my homework on this, just want some first hand experience from those of you here whom have most likely used/tried it.

Error404, is Senna something only available in England? Just curious, because I've never heard of it here in the States unless it goes by another name. Over the years I've probably used just about every brand known over here, but never Senna.

~Pramrider

Error404

Senna is commonly used in laxatives like Senokot. Senna itself isn't a brand.

It's a natural herb, so I just got pure senna tablets instead of junky pills containing fuck tons of other crap. Goes just fine with my religion which is against using anything not natural.

It's a herbal supplement put simply, a bowel stimulant.

Available and used world wide, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    So. Before I start this. I'm not looking for a lecture on laxative use, I'm well aware of possible side effects and I also know about laxative abuse. I don't plan on ANY of this.

What I DO want to know is:

How strong is Senna?

What are the results? (Softener or Bulker? - Please don't be detailed...)

Does it induce any cramps?

What can I expect? (Apart from the obvious)

No lectures please! Just info. I've done my homework on this, just want some first hand experience from those of you here whom have most likely used/tried it.
    A quick google check:

Side effects of senna may include strong cramping and griping pains in the abdomen (due to muscle contractions. Senna can also cause electrolyte imbalance (loss of potassium) and loss of body fluids, nausea, rash, swelling of the fingertips, weight loss, and dark pigmentation in the colon, called melanosis coli with longer term use. Discontinue using senna immediately if you experience these side effects. Call your doctor if you experience bloody diarrhea or prolonged abdominal pain after using rhubarb.

Senna Fact Sheet

senna medical facts from Drugs.com

First off, this is not meant to be medical advice or anything, just some information I found on Senna, also it is widely used as an over the counter laxative in the US and is sold under the following brand names: Black-Draught Tablets [OTC]; Evac-U-Gen [OTC]; ex-lax® Maximum Strength [OTC]; ex-lax® [OTC]; Fletcher's® [OTC]; Little Tummys® Laxative [OTC]; Perdiem® Overnight Relief [OTC]; Senexon [OTC]; Senna-Gen® [OTC]; SenokotXTRA® [OTC]; Senokot® [OTC]

From what I have read Senna acts by inducing colon motility and altering the fluid and electrolyte balance in the colon due to a compound it contains (hydroxyanthracene glycosides) that is not fully absorbed in the small intestine. So if I were to group it with softener/bulker I would go with softener.

There have been reactions noted which include: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramps, so that would indicate that it definitely has the risk of inducing cramps.

As far as the strength, the references say that it usually produces a bowel movement within 6-12 hours after a dose, however that is for an individual taking the drug for the indicated reason, so it might be different with you, it may also discolor the urine or feces (yellow, brown, pink, red or violet) as a heads up.

And the generic warning, which is not meant to be a lecture but if you take any oral medications including: antiarrhythmics, digoxin, phenytoin, laxatives, lithium, theophylline, potassium-depleting diuretics they could have decreased absorption in the small intestine.

Error404

Thanks for that guys. Any actual first hand experiences though? Would help.

The cramps are supposed to only come with extreme use, but I wanted to check if any other lighter normal cramps are to be expected. See, recently I've been having a little stomach trouble anyways from my diet, just happens to work rather well with my interest in diapers. These would be the first laxatives I've taken knowingly (I don't remember my childhood THAT well.) so I'm just taking it careful.

6-12 Hours? Quite some time. No wonder they are recommended before sleep.

Error404,

I do use it daily, and have for the last almost 6 years now. The reason for that is because I have to take morphine to control my constant back pain, because of morphine's effects on the bowels, mainly constipation. I had a very bad case of it after my last back surgery when I had the lower 9 discs removed and the vertebra fused together with donor bone and reinforced with 2 12" rods and 14 long screws to anchor it to my spine. I was under so much medication because of the pain, that my bowels stopped working completely. I didn't have a bowel movement for 14 days, and then only finally had one after receiving 4 enemas to relieve it. Let me tell you, that hurt almost as bad as the back pain.

Prior to the surgery, I had been taking it regularly, about 8 pills a day on average. But while I was in the hospital, and afterwards, in the rehabilitation hospital, they didn't give it to me in nearly enough dosage to keep me regular, that's why I was in that condition. After the constant use of the senna, I had to increase the amount I was taking to 12 pills a day, and my doctor didn't like that too much, so he's given me another prescription drug called polyethylene glycol, to help with the constipation problem. My doctor wanted me to cut back the amount of senna I was using, and now I'm down to 6 pills a day.

Let me clarify this. I'm totally incontinent, but even so, I can still become constipated. I could sit on the john to try to go, however, due to my back problems, I cannot exert any pressure to try to have a bowel movement on my own, it's just way to painful. So unfortunately, I need to use the stool softener and laxative. It's kind of a catch 22 problem, if you know what I mean.

But now to answer your question as to the effects of using it. It does reduce your potassium for sure if you use it regularly, and I have to take prescription potassium because of it, and get regular tests to make sure that I'm maintaining the proper levels. If you don't keep an eye on that, it could cause you to have a heart attack, and a few other problems my doctor told me about that I can't recall right now. So it isn't something I would recommend you try on a regular basis.

As for how it feels, for me personally, I don't get any cramping or anything, but it does keep things more, um, fluid, if you know what I mean, making diaper changes a bit messy. Sorry for the graphic detail there, but I think it's something you should know before you decide to try this. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you really need it. For one thing, constant use can make you dependent on it after a while, and it's only recommended for use for maybe 2 weeks without the consult of a doctor, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I hope that is useful to you, and again, I'm not trying to preach to you, but I do feel that you should know the consequences of using it. After all, you did ask.

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    Error404,

I do use it daily, and have for the last almost 6 years now. The reason for that is because I have to take morphine to control my constant back pain, because of morphine's effects on the bowels, mainly constipation. I had a very bad case of it after my last back surgery when I had the lower 9 discs removed and the vertebra fused together with donor bone and reinforced with 2 12" rods and 14 long screws to anchor it to my spine. I was under so much medication because of the pain, that my bowels stopped working completely. I didn't have a bowel movement for 14 days, and then only finally had one after receiving 4 enemas to relieve it. Let me tell you, that hurt almost as bad as the back pain.

Prior to the surgery, I had been taking it regularly, about 8 pills a day on average. But while I was in the hospital, and afterwards, in the rehabilitation hospital, they didn't give it to me in nearly enough dosage to keep me regular, that's why I was in that condition. After the constant use of the senna, I had to increase the amount I was taking to 12 pills a day, and my doctor didn't like that too much, so he's given me another prescription drug called polyethylene glycol, to help with the constipation problem. My doctor wanted me to cut back the amount of senna I was using, and now I'm down to 6 pills a day.

Let me clarify this. I'm totally incontinent, but even so, I can still become constipated. I could sit on the john to try to go, however, due to my back problems, I cannot exert any pressure to try to have a bowel movement on my own, it's just way to painful. So unfortunately, I need to use the stool softener and laxative. It's kind of a catch 22 problem, if you know what I mean.

But now to answer your question as to the effects of using it. It does reduce your potassium for sure if you use it regularly, and I have to take prescription potassium because of it, and get regular tests to make sure that I'm maintaining the proper levels. If you don't keep an eye on that, it could cause you to have a heart attack, and a few other problems my doctor told me about that I can't recall right now. So it isn't something I would recommend you try on a regular basis.

As for how it feels, for me personally, I don't get any cramping or anything, but it does keep things more, um, fluid, if you know what I mean, making diaper changes a bit messy. Sorry for the graphic detail there, but I think it's something you should know before you decide to try this. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you really need it. For one thing, constant use can make you dependent on it after a while, and it's only recommended for use for maybe 2 weeks without the consult of a doctor, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I hope that is useful to you, and again, I'm not trying to preach to you, but I do feel that you should know the consequences of using it. After all, you did ask.
    Thanks Ricky, this was the sort of post I was looking for!

I'll explain my situation a little better:

I wear about EIGHT times a year, if THAT, so I generally cram a massive deal of regression into a whole day to myself, going through 2-3 diapers on that day, so it's not like I'd be taking it every day or week (Possibly not even once a month.), I'm just really cautious with what I put into my system if I know it's going to have an 'adverse effect'.

I really struggle to get myself to let go because my body is over trained in most things, due to my own stubbornness as a child and that I'd become 'perfect'. Even to this day I struggle to feel hot and cold due to my own body having learned to tune it out, which can be quite bad sometimes. I'll burn myself without even realizing it until the pain kicks in.

But yeah, I plan on taking one or two senna pills at 7.5mg each the day before I'm going to use. Changes don't really bother me that much. Wet changes involve just a quick wipe up, whilst messy changes involve a nice long 30 minute shower.

The senna should get my body wanting to release enough that my body won't care that I'm not sat on the toilet and allow me to let go a little easier.

Thanks for the post, Ricky.

Error404

Well...Suffice to say. I've took two 7.5mg pills. I'll let you know just how effective they are some time tomorrow. Wish me luck. XD!

It'll do me well, considering my stomach has been off the past week or so anyways.

Error,

I hope it works for you the way you want it to. Just that small amount shouldn't have any kind of lasting effects. I had thought that you were talking about using a large amount over a longer period of time, that's why I went into so much detail about it. What you took is basically just the recommended dosage if you were to use it for what it's intended for, so you're not doing anything harmful there. But as a word of caution, don't go beyond the recommended dosage and you'll be fine. It has enough of an effect that I doubt you will need to use more anyway, especially if you've never used it before.

And to clarify what I had said earlier, I began using it at the recommended dosage too, but as my tolerance for it built up, I needed to increase the dosage to keep the same effect. I did ask my doctor about it though just to be sure I wasn't doing any harm to myself. He told me that I was ok and to keep using what I needed to counter the effects of the morphine on my digestive system, because I would become hopelessly constipated otherwise.
    He did recommend the use of another prescription laxative later though, when I got up to 12 senna a day. He did want me to cut down my usage at that point, and the new laxative has allowed me to do just that. I'm now back down to just 6 senna a day, and that's just fine with me. I hate the smell of those things anyway, I want to gag whenever I open the bottle each week to fill my pill box for the next week. I take so many different pills during a day that I have to set up a pill box for each day of the week, or I'd be spending 2 or 3 hours a day just opening bottles!

So good luck to you, and uh, "Happy Crapping?", LOL. Let me know if it works for you.