Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dummies and teeth alignment

Default Dummies and teeth alignment

Forgive me if this thread has come up before, I couldn't find anything when I searched.
    Basically I got a NUK 5 a couple if days ago, which is my first ever dummy :-D I have always wanted one but never had one, even as a (real) baby.
    Anyway, I am loving it but I am just a bit concerned about it causing my teeth to become permanently crooked? I had braces when I was younger and don't particularly want to undo all the pain and suffering I went through to have straight teeth!
    Any of you more experienced dummy suckers noticed any changes or had problems? I am currently only using mine at night, if it helps to know.
    Thanks in advance guys!
    Hydra

hey there i have been use one for some time now and have not had any problems with concerned teeth. The only problem i have had is i sleep with a binky but it never stays in the hole night and some times i grind my teeth in my sleep. It really depends on you and how much you use one. big hugs

Quote Originally Posted by littleleo View Post
    hey there i have been use one for some time now and have not had any problems with concerned teeth. The only problem i have had is i sleep with a binky but it never stays in the hole night and some times i grind my teeth in my sleep. It really depends on you and how much you use one. big hugs
    Thank you for your advice, littleleo! To be honest, I am surprised at how quickly I seem to have adapted to my dummy... I've only had it a couple if days, and only use it at night, and it already stays in my mouth most of the night. Clearly it was meant to be :-)

No problem. Yep the power of the binky can't sleep with out it, big hugs little leo.

I've slept with a dummy/thumb for the past five years. I've noticed some movement of my front teeth (they can no longer touch the bottom ones) and my tongue tends to press against my teeth. But not everyone will experience this.

As long as you are not chewing on it you should have no problem. The concern with pacifiers was mainly in little kids just getting their teeth having them in their months all the time preventing the teeth from growing in right.

Minor. It my doctor listed it as a possible option for handling my stress induced bruxism and said that there may be some minor movement as a potential issue. He said that even with the grinding major movement was extremely unlikely.

At your age your teeth should be done growing and in place. If your NUK 5 is staying in all night you should be okay with it.

Congratulations on getting your dummy. I hope you have lots of enjoyment from it.

I have both a NUK3 and NUK5 and the NUK5 fits in my mouth the best. I sleep with the NUK5 all night and it is still in my mouth when I wake. Yes, I wish it was blue instead of white. I bought a package of two NUK3 at Walmart for about $4 U.S. and one NUK5 online for 20. It was expensive but it's worth it for the enjoyment it gives me.

Now on to your question. I have had a pacifier for about 4 months now, I've slept most nights with it, roughly 90% of nights, and I have not noticed any change in alignment. I have to admit that I don't have the straightest teeth to begin with. I come from a lower middle class family and orthodontics were a "luxury" so I have never been to an orthodontist.

I'm not a dentist but I think it really comes down to how the pacifier fits. Also, if you are biting down on it and if so, how hard. Sucking hard on it will also create pressure on the teeth. Your tongue will push on the dummy, which will cause the dummy to press on the teeth.

If you are waking with sore teeth every morning, then that could indicate that you may have future alignment issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydra90 View Post
    Forgive me if this thread has come up before, I couldn't find anything when I searched.
    Basically I got a NUK 5 a couple if days ago, which is my first ever dummy :-D I have always wanted one but never had one, even as a (real) baby.
    Anyway, I am loving it but I am just a bit concerned about it causing my teeth to become permanently crooked? I had braces when I was younger and don't particularly want to undo all the pain and suffering I went through to have straight teeth!
    Any of you more experienced dummy suckers noticed any changes or had problems? I am currently only using mine at night, if it helps to know.
    Thanks in advance guys!
    Hydra
    I too had braces when I was younger but that didn't stop me from using a binky. I still use mind frequently, mostly everyday whenever I can. This has been going on now for 6 months and I've noticed a very subtle shift, but I'm not worried about it. I think you should be fine as long as you don't chew it. Congrats on the dummy btw.