Thread: Clear Urine. Maintaining that even at the cost of leak risks.

Default Clear Urine. Maintaining that even at the cost of leak risks.

Hydration's often improved my urinary continence apparently by lowering bladder irritability .

Anyone else notice this ?

Not in my case. The more I drink, the more I pee. My bladder empties automatically at about 120 ml. I actually have a much easier time making it to the bathroom when dehydrated because my bladder fills so slowly. That being said I fight dehydration on a daily basis, especially this time of year.

Like Spaz the more I drink the more I go, but mine is caused by an undersized bladder. I have found that if I drink a lot of fluids during the day I wet more at night, I'm a bed wetter.

Its the same for me, the more I drink the more I wet the bed. I have found that the more Tea I drink the more I pee, I am more able to cope and wet the bed less if I drink whole milk instead of tea.

My understanding of all of this is that hydration is critically important. From what I have read--and, being new to all of this, I've read a lot recently--cutting off liquids because of incontinence or bedwetting is never the right course of action. Water is too vital to the human well-being. That being said, I have also discovered that, if I drink a lot of water, my urination is less likely to be yellow, odiferous, and irritable. It doesn't change the fact that I have to go uncontrollably all the time, but it does make it less painful and smelly when I do...

I totally agree with this - and so does my IC care team. There are other advantages too; by keeping well hydrated you also cut down the risk of urinary tract infections which are very common for anyone with an incontinence problem. Drinking cranberry juice can help with that too. It's a myth that the fluids you drink must be plain water; it doesn't actually matter that much, as long as the fluid is non-caffeinated and non-alcoholic it can be anything. (Caffeinated and alcoholic drinks don't count towards your fluid intake because they are diuretic).

I'm not IC, but I have had some bowel issues in the past few years. I decided recently to make sure I am staying well hydrated. It is recommended to drink 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day. That is 64 oz. So I have a 32 oz Nalgene bottle that I try to finish by lunch, then refill it and finish it by evening. I can definitely tell a difference. It has not fixed all the problems, but has improved things.

But I have noticed when I am diapered that I have to change quite a bit more often. I decided to spend last Sunday afternoon diapered. I went through 3 diapers in 4 hours, and the second two had stuffers in them.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    (Caffeinated and alcoholic drinks don't count towards your fluid intake because they are diuretic).
    [possibly?] officially, yes, but you do retain some of the fluid as part of your body's natural balancing act.
    personally, i drink loads of coffee. as a kid, i used to get loads of UTIs (not entirely due to bedwetting, but other stuff) and i now count coffee as part of maintaining a healthy diet, simply on the basis that it's diuretic effect flushes the whole fluidy system out, blood and all.

yellow pee is not for me
    and the only smell of Sugar Puffs that i like is from the kind that's in a bowl with milk

diapers hold more water than urine, so it might help to stay hydrated