Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adult-Sized Crib -- For Real

Default Adult-Sized Crib -- For Real

My first post on this forum! I found my way here when I was searching for those big special needs beds that can comfortably accomodate an adult. I've since done quite a bit of research and thought I'd share some of my findings.

I've read a bunch of other threads, here, and on other forums, about cribs that are big enough for adults. Good news: there are many out there. Bad news: they're all expensive. Some of these companies are in the UK, some in the US.

All are several thousand dollars. If buying from overseas, the shipping alone is a few thousand, because of the size and weight, which is typically several hundred pounds. The reason they cost so much is because they really are extremely high-quality. They're not just cheap baby cribs that are super-sized for adults, like you might find on AB websites.

Most of these companies will customize any aspect of any of their models, but of course, will cost even more. I'm not sure if they're friendly towards the enthusiast crowd, so you may want to keep that to yourself, though I don't see the harm. I want one because I've always felt "recharged" in confined spaces, even as a child. I even slept in cardboard boxes lol.

Electric Adjustable Beds, Medical Beds and Mobility Beds by BaKare Beds Ltd, UK has many models to choose from. My favorite is the Jonas [removed]. Unfortunately, BaKare's customer service wasn't forthcoming in trying to help me figure out how to ship one of their beds to the US. So I gave up on them.

So, onto KayserBetten, makers of similar beds to those of the UK-based BaKare. Unlike the UK-only BaKare, KayserBetten has distributors in the US as well, which I found at KayserBetten Hannah Secure Sleep Systems, so the domestic shipping should be cheaper than importing from the UK. Maybe that's wishful thinking. You can even have them add bars or netting to the top to prevent climb-out.

Though not strictly a crib, the Bearhugzzz bed is an interesting alternative. It's not a solid wood structure. It's more of a padded box that is easily assembled and disassembled with velcro. Unfortunately, they too are based in the UK Bearhugzzz > Paediatric Care > Home > Kinderkey Healthcare Ltd but they are less expensive than the cribs.

Based in the US, Pedicraft makes adult-sized metal cribs Pedicraft: Best Hospital Cribs, Baby Cribs, Pediatric & Neonatal Cribs on Offer

Here's a giant pillow, the size of an adult: Positional Therapy Pillow Company

Has anyone found any other brands of adult-sized cribs?
    Last edited by Nihlus; 09-Jul-2013 at 22:37. Reason: Removed link to adult site

Especial needs has some. But they run about 5ką and there are a few others. Just Google special needs bed and look at the pictures I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

I like the kinderkey bed with the padding . It would help prevent injury during night time seizures.

Yeah, especialneeds.com has the SleepSafe beds. I can't imagine kids would find them attractive. They look like they belong in a nursing home, not a kid's bedroom.

ATOMIC98

they look like a jail cell to me

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMIC98 View Post
    they look like a jail cell to me
    Yup, couldn't agree more

very informative post well done

also there is something just wrong with metal cribs...

As an Autistic with Cerebral Palsy, I have looked into special needs beds, & they are too expensive for me to ever purchase, unless I win the NH State Lottery.

Well,

Yes they are all very expensive...

I looked into buying one several times...and didn't find exactly what I wanted...

So, last summer I started work on my crib, designed it, ordered metal, and started building...

Still not done!...I can only work on my feet for a short time before I need to rest...and other things seem to always crop up...

Anyhow, I have the two end panels built and the bottom frame for a twin bed, and the metal is now cut for the other two sides...

I built out of aluminum to keep it relatively light...and I've worked with aluminum much more than even steel...I've built several airplanes in the past...

Anyhow, just the material for my bed is sitting over $1000...it's an investment that's sure...and probably have 2-300 hours in it as well...

So, if I was able to find exactly what I wanted I would have just purchased it...in the long run its cheaper if I account for my time...

B

Quote Originally Posted by Zebus View Post
    very informative post well done

also there is something just wrong with metal cribs...
    They're cold and impersonal? Wood seems "kinder" and not as hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TCWWITHAUTISMANDCP View Post
    As an Autistic with Cerebral Palsy, I have looked into special needs beds, & they are too expensive for me to ever purchase, unless I win the NH State Lottery.
    I'm way out of my league here, but I'm just curious, have you looked into getting a crib/special needs bed through insurance? I don't know what your situation is where you live, but I've heard of people, from parents of special needs kids to veterans with PTSD, getting these crazy-expensive cribs for free, by getting a doctor to prove medical-necessity. The first claim is almost always denied, but each appeal got them closer, eventually getting the crib/bed they need.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbabybret View Post
    Well,

Yes they are all very expensive...

I looked into buying one several times...and didn't find exactly what I wanted...

So, last summer I started work on my crib, designed it, ordered metal, and started building...

Still not done!...I can only work on my feet for a short time before I need to rest...and other things seem to always crop up...

Anyhow, I have the two end panels built and the bottom frame for a twin bed, and the metal is now cut for the other two sides...

I built out of aluminum to keep it relatively light...and I've worked with aluminum much more than even steel...I've built several airplanes in the past...

Anyhow, just the material for my bed is sitting over $1000...it's an investment that's sure...and probably have 2-300 hours in it as well...

So, if I was able to find exactly what I wanted I would have just purchased it...in the long run its cheaper if I account for my time...

B
    That's interesting that you have the skill and materials to build your own crib, yet would still consider purchasing a pre-built crib. You're making it clear that there's more to these cribs than just materials. It's also the amount of time put into them, from very skilled labor. So as expensive as they are, it sounds like they're not necessarily hugely over-inflated in price.