Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS overturns sec 5 of the voting rights act.

Default SCOTUS overturns sec 5 of the voting rights act.

What are your thoughts on this decision? I've already heard that here in Texas starting
    tomorrow they will start enforcing our voter ID law. Also on our voter redistricting.

June

First of all, it was section four that was struck down.

It's a failure on the SCOTUS's part, and a perfect display of their social bias. The conservative majority held their personal "state's rights" and "big government" beliefs and moral values rather than actual constitutionality, vastly overlooking recent attempts of voter suppression in the areas listed that required clearance before changing voting laws. It was not unconstitutional on the grounds they ruled it under. They claimed it's a 50-year-old list, and that it's unfair to hold them to these past actions, therefore, a new "list" must be made by congress (which will not happen with our current setup of the House and Senate). Simply put, the section struck down was not an archaic list of states with racial bias in the 1960's. It's a list of states that tended to have racial bias in 2006, only thirteen years ago. It was reenacted in 2006 with overwhelming bipartisan majority, section four included. Clearly, congress already had an up-to-date list of which states needed extra supervision passed along with its reinstatement, it just so happened to be the same one from the 60's. Some things just don't change, plain and simple.

What's coming up? We're likely going to see the Democratic minorities of red states shrink even lower due to voter suppression laws and blatant gerrymandering perfectly cleared without a hitch. Most racial minorities tend to vote Democrat; the GOP knows this as well as the red states.

It appears that this is a desperate attempt by a party to somehow mitigate the losses last autumn in order to give themselves more of a chance in future elections, without bothering to change their backwards social policies. In essence, it's using the Lance Armstrong method; cheat to win.

Why is it a bad thing to be made to prove your identity and right to vote before voting?

The only people these laws "discriminate" against are those who are not allowed to vote.

We have come a long ways since 1964, but is there some discrimination still going on. Yes there is. Congress needs to up date the voters right act. But waiting for congress to do anything is like people in Hell waiting for Ice-water. If ID's are needed to vote then the states need to provide them.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post
    Why is it a bad thing to be made to prove your identity and right to vote before voting?

The only people these laws "discriminate" against are those who are not allowed to vote.
    no they don't. They discriminate against people that have neither the time nor money to wait at a government facility to get "proper" identification; when your identity is something you have to prove when you register to vote in the first place. They also discriminate against minorities because minorities are more likely to be working the kind of jobs that the hours preclude going to the DMV or can't afford to take a day off to go to the DMV. While the laws are not explicitly racist the laws end up being very racist in practice, something which republicans are VERY well aware of, and take advantage of when they push them through.

From what I've heard from CNN, removing it does nothing good for anyone. Expect the ones who still want to try and stop voters from well, voting. I'd call those people retarded pussies, but that's a disservice to cats that have a higher IQ then they.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post

It's not a bad thing but its not going to help anything either. How many cases of voter fraud have their been since I've been alive? Less then 1,000 I know that much. Requiring ID for voters is about the same effectiveness as a physical fence on the southern boarder. Only problem is there's so few cases of voter fraud throwing money at fixing a minor problem IS the fraud.

The only voter fraud that would swing a election would me from companies or unions. Since they are the only ones with that sort of power. However as humans we are complete shit with conspiracies.

I work at an inner city (small city) junior high school, and during student registration, I'm usually put at the front table where I have to ask for proof of residency. Many of these poor people have no drivers license because they can't afford a car. Some actually don't have a residency in as much as they live with another relative who is paying the rent. I see them walking up the street to the school in the 90 degree weather, sweat poring off them. Poverty limits people from finding work and obtaining the things most of us take for granted, including identifying paperwork.

Virginia is a Red State, and where I live, I can not vote for a local and/or some state democratic positions because we have been gerrymandered out of any democratic district. I always get a kick out of politicians using the word Freedom, not realizing how much freedom they have taken from the very people they represent.

June

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Virginia is a Red State
    Not quite anymore, I'm seeing. It used to be about as red as South Carolina, however, it has quickly become a swing state, voting Democrat in the past two presidential elections, a senate divided 50/50 by party, and it's likely you will have a Democratic governor this November, though your house seems to be drifting redder. Like you said, unfortunately, it is badly gerrymandered.

North Carolina isn't too far behind you guys in becoming blue.

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Not quite anymore, I'm seeing. It used to be about as red as South Carolina, however, it has quickly become a swing state, voting Democrat in the past two presidential elections, a senate divided 50/50 by party, and it's likely you will have a Democratic governor this November, though your house seems to be drifting redder. Like you said, unfortunately, it is badly gerrymandered.

North Carolina isn't too far behind you guys in becoming blue.
    You're actually very correct. Virginia has split, and I was being incomplete in my assessment. The larger elections have gone to Democrats as northern Virginia has influenced the outcome with their votes. I also believe you are right that we will have a democratic governor. Our present governor is under investigation for taking illegal gifts, and Cuccinelli has taken some as well, he running on the Republican ticket. He also is extreme in his political believes, and his running mate for Lieutenant Governor has publicly said that Affirmative Action was a plot put forth by the K. K. K. What makes this statement even more interesting is that he is African American.

I live in central Virginia in the same town as Thomas Road Baptist Church and Liberty University, so I get a skewed view of Virginia. Lynchburg is a very conservative minor city. The Falwells still have a lot of influence, one reason why we our gerrymandered out of voting democratic I suppose.