Thread: People Like Us . . . A message on being AB/DL

Default People Like Us . . . A message on being AB/DL

]Have you ever come across a song or video that just seems to hit home to thoughts that you might be having?

All of us who are AB/DL have gone through at least some struggles with their identity and "being different" than others. There are numerous threads on ADISC about this and it seems it has been discussed at almost every angle. However, often a message can be so much more powerful if it is in a song or image. When you combine the two, the effect can be amazing!

Recently, I saw the video by Kelly Clarkson for her song, "People Like Us". The lyrics and message really struck me as to how this could relate to all of us here who share in an AB/DL or similar interest.

Here also is the link: People Like Us

After viewing - Please share your thoughts. I would really like to know if others had a similar impact from it.
    Last edited by TeddyBearCowboy; 25-Jun-2013 at 06:37. Reason: To insert video rather than link

Yep people like us need to stick together. That is all that really matters.

hey there just seen the video yes i think it struck a chord with me. one song i have been into is (alone again naturally) but the har mar super star version. some time its not just a song some times a peace of music there's one song by a band name (rammstein) song name (ohne dish). if i listen to that i feel so much emotion! and takes me into a zone of my own. great post thanks . big hugs little leo

My first and most enduring thought was surprise that it wasn't this "People Like Us":

As for the song itself, it felt a little too generally uplifting, never say die, etc. to resonate strongly with me but if it has meaning for you, that's a good thing.

As long as we stick together and support each other we'll make it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    My first and most enduring thought was surprise that it wasn't this "People Like Us".
    Oh my heck Trevor, where on earth did you drag up that one? Even I, as a cowboy had never heard or seen that!! Is that what you perhaps think all cowboys listen too? I didn't know that John Goodman could sing, I thought he was just a comedian!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    As for the song itself, it felt a little too generally uplifting, never say die, etc. to resonate strongly with me but if it has meaning for you, that's a good thing.
    Well, I am intrigued by the original song that I shared (not your version), as it has a deeper meaning and it is nice to have an upbeat song that sends a positive message.

--For me, it is a message that resonates about part of my own life when I had felt alone for so long growing up as I thought I was the only one interested in diapers. I felt like the young girl in the video who was isolated from other kids because she was different. I felt like if anyone found out about this, they would think I must be crazy and run all sorts of tests on me to see what was wrong, just as they did to the girl in the video.

Then . . . In the video when the young girl touches the face of the woman who came to help her, her face shows she is also different like the young girl. The eyes of the young girl brighten with excitement as she realized she was not the only one! There was really someone else like her!!

Have you never had this type of an experience regarding being AB/DL? When I first found out there were others like me, it was just like that! It opened up a whole new world to me to know that there are others like me and I could be myself.

Isn't that kind of what ADISC and this community is about? Providing a place where "people like us" can stick together and not feel so alone? Aren't "We are all misfits living in a world on fire"?

And, once finding out we aren't the only ones here, shouldn't "People like us, we've gotta stick together. Keep your head up. Nothing lasts forever. Here’s to the damned, to the lost and forgotten. It’s hard to get high when you’re living on the bottom".

I hope that nobody who comes here to ADISC and discovers they aren't the only one that is like this ever feels again like they are "living on the bottom".

When you might get feeling this way because of the experiences you are having, remember, "Hey, this is not a funeral. It’s a revolution after all your tears have turned to rage. Just wait! Everything will be OK! Even when you’re feeling like it’s going down in flames."

Once you figure out that it is okay to be different, then I truly hope that you understand, "They can’t do nothing to you. They can’t do nothing to me. This is the life that we choose. This is the life that we bleed. So throw your fists in the air. Come out, come out if you dare. Tonight we’re gonna change forever"!

"Sing it for the people like us, the people like us"!

TeddyBear Cowboy

Here are the rest of the lyrics.

We come into to this world unknown
    But know that we are not alone
    They try and knock us down
    But change is coming, it's our time now

Hey... Everybody loses it
    Everybody wants to throw it all away sometimes
    Hey... I know what you’re going through
    Don’t let it get the best of you
    You’ll make it out alive

Oh, People like us
    We've gotta stick together
    Keep your head up
    Nothing lasts forever
    Here’s to the damned, to the lost and forgotten
    It’s hard to get high when you’re living on the bottom

We are all misfits living in a world on fire
    Sing it for the people like us, the people like us

Hey, this is not a funeral
    It’s a revolution after all your tears have turned to rage
    Just wait
    Everything will be OK
    Even when you’re feeling like it’s going down in flames

Oh, People like us
    Keep your head up
    Nothing lasts forever

You've just gotta turn it up loud when the flames get higher

They can’t do nothing to you
    They can’t do nothing to me
    This is the life that we choose
    This is the life that we bleed
    So throw your fists in the air
    Come out, come out if you dare
    Tonight we’re gonna change forever

Everybody loses it
    Everybody wants to throw it all away sometimes

Oh People like us
    Keep your head up
    Nothing lasts forever

You just gotta turn it up loud when the flames get higher
    Sing it for the people like us, the people like us)

You just gotta turn it up loud when the flames get higher
    Last edited by TeddyBearCowboy; 25-Jun-2013 at 07:55.