Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orchestra backed rock music

Default Orchestra backed rock music

Seems like most of the big names in rock/progressive rock have done the whole "play infront of an orchestra" thing at least once. Seems to work really well, especially for power ballads (GnR's Novermber Rain, Aerosmith's Dream on, etc).

Anyway, the whole rock over traditional is always something I've enjoyed, especially live. Wondering what others opinions of this are, favorite performance, recommendations, etc..

The only rock band I know that manages to consistently draw classical influence (mostly piano, as David DeFeis is a classically-trained pianist, but they throw other orchestral instruments in there occasionally) and have it work is Virgin Steele. Others tend to just have silly backing violins and other nonsense that feel out of place and add nothing to the music.

It's hard to appreciate it in isolation, because a lot of the classical influence is in the way they use pervasive motif work over different instrumentation over a span of many albums, but here's a track where it's especially noticeable:

Yea, watchin' Symphony & MetallicA was what got me listenin' to MetallicA in the fist place :P

In my opinion (when it's done right), a rock band & an orchestra get together, ye'd get a kick-ass sound.

Apocalyptica kind of fits the bill, not rock with a classical backing but the use of cellos in metal so it's pretty cool and original.

Apocalyptica featuring Corey Taylor - I'm Not Jesus - YouTube

I listen to a genre of rock that is called symphonic metal / opera metal.... one of my favorite bands of the genre is epica... as well as a band called Therion... they do the orchestra thing quite well... and quite beautifully https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQKzMy_-CwA
    Therion - Lemuria - YouTube

Symphony X has some influence of this type. This genre of music is amongst my favorites. It's just the singing that kind of throws me off.

Quote Originally Posted by dixon View Post
    I listen to a genre of rock that is called symphonic metal / opera metal.... one of my favorite bands of the genre is epica... as well as a band called Therion... they do the orchestra thing quite well... and quite beautifully https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQKzMy_-CwA
    Therion - Lemuria - YouTube
    Therion was going to be my suggestion as well. Their earlier days as death/doom metal was when I first heard them, but there are hints at the direction they'd head. Should probably mention Deep Purple, as I think they were the first to combine hard rock and orchestration on any scale, although I might be wrong on that.

My favorite band that fits that discription is Trans Siberian Orchestra.

The original (to the best of my knowledge) was Frank Zappa. I know he did two envelope and I can not remember the second one. It real surprised me when they played it on the local PBS classical show and pointed out the composer.

Wintersun- Sons of Winter and Stars.

No thanks necessary.