Thread: Making your own paci?

Default Making your own paci?

So I was thinking it would be fun to try and make my own paci. I have been doing research on how they make baby ones, finding that the easiest style of paci would be a non toxic silicone based paci if you ware wondering what a silicone paci looks like just google image it.

The only problem now is finding out more about silicone and how i could get a hold if it and molding materials to make the mold

Any one have mold making exp or any other information they wish to chime in.

Not much experience with this stuff, just wanted to say be careful. Making something you plan on keeping in your mouth for long periods of time has more than a few safety issues. The two that jump to my head are choking (piece breaks off) and poisioning (make sure everything is foodsafe and that the molding process doesn't make it unfood safe?).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Not much experience with this stuff, just wanted to say be careful. Making something you plan on keeping in your mouth for long periods of time has more than a few safety issues. The two that jump to my head are choking (piece breaks off) and poisioning (make sure everything is foodsafe and that the molding process doesn't make it unfood safe?).
    Yes I am looking into food safe ones and one thing to test the solidness of it was maybe boiling it in hot water and seeing if it falls apart to simulate a warm wet mouth. of course this being ex-stream testing. The thought of something from the mold seeping into the silicone had not crossed my mind thank you for that. Not sure if it can but still researching.

Let me know if you find anymore info on how to make your own paci. I would probably like to try and do it in the future if you are successful.

-Ron

About sugru - the future needs fixing - sugru

worth a thought?
    i've got some, but haven't yet had the chance to use it (bloody fridge drawer never empties - no wonder it's broken!).
    judging by the vids, once cured it's a good deal firmer than normal silicone and may replicate the slight springiness found in the plastic bodies of pacifiers.

i'd say that if were to attempt to make a scale/custom pacifier, i'd probably source common materials already about me. for example, i'd use the plastic from a suitably sized bottle to form the flange and mold the basic curvature with a little heat. then, i'd cut it to shape and then, cover it with the Sugru (this would probably give the right amount of thickness, strength and flex). then, i'd work on the detailing (holes and stuff) and finally smooth-off by hand.
    the outer cover [that covers the assembly points of the teat and the 'handle'] would probably come from one of those weirdly shaped bottle tops that usually top women's products.

colourwise, i'd try to match the colours as sourced. painting stuff like this (especially plastic or bendy stuff) isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    About sugru - the future needs fixing - sugru

worth a thought?
    i've got some, but haven't yet had the chance to use it (bloody fridge drawer never empties - no wonder it's broken!).
    judging by the vids, once cured it's a good deal firmer than normal silicone and may replicate the slight springiness found in the plastic bodies of pacifiers.

i'd say that if were to attempt to make a scale/custom pacifier, i'd probably source common materials already about me. for example, i'd use the plastic from a suitably sized bottle to form the flange and mold the basic curvature with a little heat. then, i'd cut it to shape and then, cover it with the Sugru (this would probably give the right amount of thickness, strength and flex). then, i'd work on the detailing (holes and stuff) and finally smooth-off by hand.
    the outer cover [that covers the assembly points of the teat and the 'handle'] would probably come from one of those weirdly shaped bottle tops that usually top women's products.

colourwise, i'd try to match the colours as sourced. painting stuff like this (especially plastic or bendy stuff) isn't worth it.

Well that is cool thank you for your input. What really want to know is for my mold i want to be able to put the silicone in efficiently and i was wondering if i could get non toxic food grade silicone in cocking tube form. Goggling this does not yield the best results sadly or my search perimeters are not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebus View Post
    Well that is cool thank you for your input. What really want to know is for my mold i want to be able to put the silicone in efficiently and i was wondering if i could get non toxic food grade silicone in cocking tube form. Goggling this does not yield the best results sadly or my search perimeters are not the best.
    you'll have to state which materials you intend to use for which parts of your construction.
    if you intend to make a wholly silicone (and therefore, rubbery) pacifier, you're still going to have to first model a hard version by which to then form a reverse casting (in plaster, no doubt?); although, there some penis modelling kits which may be of use (i'll let you Google for that).
    additionally: CopyFlex

that's looking quite good for this project. also, see their 'silicone plastique' for creating molds.
    still, my personal preference would be to fully replicate a pacifier, using the same or similar materials and construction methods as with 'normal' ones.

Ok carve the size out of wood then wrap a plastic sandwich bag stick in bowl of plaster but need to put a thin plastic sheat so you can separate the mold in half. at lest the mold part.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    Ok carve the size out of wood then wrap a plastic sandwich bag stick in bowl of plaster but need to put a thin plastic sheat so you can separate the mold in half. at lest the mold part.
    as Jamie Hyneman would say use lard a lot more lard