Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overposting

Default Overposting

Is it possible for one user to post too many threads? Or, do you think it's a good thing, or do you not care?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambusa View Post
    Is it possible for one user to post too many threads? Or, do you think it's a good thing, or do you not care?
    Yes - if the threads are poor quality, or are on topics already under discussion. Naming no names, but some users have at certain times posted a lot of threads on very similar topics, and making the same points in each of them. If one user happens to be going through a creative spurt, and thinks up a lot of good topics in a short period of time then that's great, although I would perhaps advise them to keep a few back, so they can give proper attention to each thread.

It's hard to say whether one user can truly dominate the discussion on a forum like this. An individual may start a lot of threads, but they only succeed and garner attention if others pay attention to them. OTH there is a limit to the time and energy anyone gives to ADISC, and if users are spending time responding to a thread about some perennial controversy, they may end up not responding to a more worthwhile thread, which due to lack of attention falls down the rankings and disappears...

Anyone who has more then 6,000 posts should be shot in the head for not having a lif...

::sees post count::

Oh shit.

Some times it is a sign of a lonely person who needs attention given to them and no one around to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Anyone who has more then 6,000 posts should be shot in the head
    Fire2Box's Run

Quote Originally Posted by krallen View Post
    Some times it is a sign of a lonely person who needs attention given to them and no one around to do that.

I think that might have a lot to deal with it

also congratulations on reaching Established Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by krallen View Post
    I think that sums it up very nicely krallen, and also I very much agree with what Clara said above.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, honest to goodness, but I keep getting this feeling that a lot of this is coming from users saying they are 18+ but are not in fact 18+. I mean, I guess there's no way to really fully check, you know? We want to keep our anonymity. I don't want to have to show even our awesome Moo my driver's license, or anything. So I guess we just try and be nice, but not over-indulge these kids. I'm glad we keep it generally PG-13, but I mean, these kids can view whatever they want on the net at any time if their parents aren't watching them. This is like, the least of the worst stuff they could see.

On the other hand, a forum is its own little ever-changing entity. Fully based on user input, any and all forums become what the people want. If the people want those kinds of threads, who am I to judge, really? It's popular opinion, popular choice. It's something like a democracy. We have our basic rules and we ban or give negative reputation to the users who break the rules, but beyond that, there's nothing we can do but encourage good behavior and hope the majority of people are going to be intelligent and thoughtful.

If someone posts a lot of interesting, thought-provoking threads, then that's great. The problem tends to be, however, that people who post high numbers of threads aren't generally posting many of deep substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    I'm not trying to stir the pot, honest to goodness, but I keep getting this feeling that a lot of this is coming from users saying they are 18+ but are not in fact 18+. I mean, I guess there's no way to really fully check, you know?
    There probably are some ADISC members who have lied about their DoB, although since it's only recently that we've gone 18+ I suspect it's only in recent times...
    OTH it's very hard to judge - people have different levels of literacy skills and emotional intelligence, and (possibly sadly) someone who comes across like a 15 year old could well be a legit 25 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    There probably are some ADISC members who have lied about their DoB, although since it's only recently that we've gone 18+ I suspect it's only in recent times...
    OTH it's very hard to judge - people have different levels of literacy skills and emotional intelligence, and (possibly sadly) someone who comes across like a 15 year old could well be a legit 25 year old.
    Exactly - great point. It is hard to judge and that's why the only real way to tell would be if admins 'verified' us with identification photos. And that would kind of ruin everything because many of us are deep in the closet.