Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A uncertain future for a good brand

Default A uncertain future for a good brand

Dodge Brand's Future Past 2016 Questioned in New Report - WOT on Motor Trend

I always hate to see another car brand wither, one less contender at the auto shows I like going to, thousands of salesmen lose jobs when dealers close. I hated to see Pontiac closes its doors for the final time. Saturn and Suzuki, meh. But Dodge is one of those if it dies, one of the many automotive pioneers that got America rolling other than Ford and Chevy, will have died. I am hoping this ends up being wrong and that somehow the marketing and design teams at Chrysler put out a miracle worker. If not, you will know someone who will be heavily disappointed.

Think of it this way: What if Chevy burnt out?

I hope they are wrong as well. Dodge is even bigger the the Pontiac brand was. It was said day when GM killed the Pontiac brand.

Dodge has always been crap in my opinion. Their recent Dodge Dart had an issue where the electronics in the transmission would fail in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    Dodge has always been crap in my opinion. Their recent Dodge Dart had an issue where the electronics in the transmission would fail in cold weather.
    The original Dodge Dart was a piece of shit among other pieces of shit. I don't know why they decided to dust off the brand.

Ill be sad to see it go, but they can definitely survive. Ram and Jeep are the brands that pull in the most money for them anyways. I actually just drove the new dart and for the price (including the 2-3k off sticker that the dealer was giving) the interior was incredibly nice and luxurious. Compared to some other compacts I drove it definitely was not the worst.

If a company dies they were doing something wrong. This is what we call Capitalism, something that a lot of "conservatives" are forgetting. I welcome failure for any company especially those of which can't stop hemorrhaging. I'd much rather see Dodge fade away then James Gandoffini since at least one of them brings good product, acting.

Also Balto, why do you have such a strong opinion on the matter when you haven't even driven one of their cars? (AFIK)

Plus I doubt many people think of dodge as being a good brand anymore. Things change, companies are no exception.

Its why microsoft is shit with Bing/Windows phone/Windows 8 and Apple is godly to some. Despite Windows 98 rocking and Apple sucking hard pre-2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    Ill be sad to see it go, but they can definitely survive. Ram and Jeep are the brands that pull in the most money for them anyways. I actually just drove the new dart and for the price (including the 2-3k off sticker that the dealer was giving) the interior was incredibly nice and luxurious. Compared to some other compacts I drove it definitely was not the worst.
    I would take it over the Korean brands, Kia and Hyundai. Korean cars to me have always felt and look cheap on the inside. I dont understand what Chrysler or more accurately Fiat was thinking in making Ram its own brand. It still has the Dodge icon on the front, on the steering wheel and on the back, it just boggles my mind why they would make that move. Its still a Dodge, its just marketed as a Ram. Whats odd is that its almost like the brands of vehicles Americans can choose from is shrinking slowly. We lost Isuzu, then Saturn, then Suzuki, its almost like all the smaller name companies are being thrown out of the ballpark and the major ones, like Volkswagen and GM, still reign. While it doesnt do with Dodge, I thought it would be relevant to bring up Volvo's troubles.

Are Mitsubishi and Volvo on the Way Out? | U.S. News Best Cars

Volvo has been declining in the US market in sale while the German luxury brands kinda take their place. Volvo discontinued the S40 and C30, but will be bringing in another V station wagon, the V60. Crossing my fingers maybe it will do as well as the V70 before it. My family had Volvo's for almost fifteen years, each serving us well. Volvo hopes to bring four more contenders to the stage by 2020. Volvo needs a new lead to stand by, since everybody's jumped on the bandwagon for safety and on the bandwagon durability. I always say Volvo should take some cues from Volkswagen, in terms of marketing their vehicles as well as promotion. If Volvo can reach out to the young drivers like Volkswagen has with the Beetle and the Jetta, they may just have a second life in store for them.

The only thing I can think of that Dodge brings to the table is the Ram. Maybe the Charger? Either way, they're both generic, offer poor fuel economy and cost more than their Japanese counterparts. Ironic, since they come off as an American company, and they do their assembly in Mexico, meanwhile, people mock Japanese cars, but they're assembled in America. (It's actually cheaper to hire Americans to assemble the stuff than Japanese. Hurray for low industry standard wages?)

I think if they wanted to reinvent themselves, they should go back to making vehicles with Bench seats up front, and focus less on trying to out-tech their Asian counterparts.

All that said, I doubt they'll fail. The people who are devoted to them will buy their products regardless. (Perhaps buying time to fix their image)

At the very top it says

60 Percent of Chrysler, Ram, and Dodge Vehicles to be New by 2016
    then at the bottom of that page

Dodge is the companyís proverbial bread and butter and sells about twice as many cars as Chrysler. So far this year, the former has sold 268,571 cars while the latter has moved only 136,590.
    so I don't see any connection to an 'uncertain future'

The reason this is even being talked about is because the press needed a story and 'Dodge Brandís Future Past 2016 Questioned in New Report' gets your attention even if the report has no substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    But Dodge is one of those if it dies, one of the many automotive pioneers that got America rolling other than Ford and Chevy, will have died. I am hoping this ends up being wrong and that somehow the marketing and design teams at Chrysler put out a miracle worker. If not, you will know someone who will be heavily disappointed.
    Interesting post.

While Dodge automobiles may be in the tank, their truck division is anything but --at least in the West. Where I live, there are more trucks around than cars. Even if you don't need to have a truck, you have one just to fit in. Any guess what, over 70% of the trucks you see are Dodge! Why is that, well, Dodge has made some of the best work trucks around. I have owned Ford, Chevy, and Dodge, and nothing compares to the Dodge Cummins diesel engine. Ford Duramax is a contender, but I would bet that most folks agree the Cummins has it beat.

As far as the Hemi, don't buy it. It is a piece of junk. I would rather have my old '82 Chev 350 engine anyday. But the combination of the style, utility, operation, and pulling power of the Dodge is widely recognized in the western portion of this country and around work sites everywhere. So, yes, I agree Dodge cars need to improve, but the Dodge truck is going to stick around!

TeddyBear Cowboy

. . . Oh yeah, I forgot, I am probably the only ADISC member here who drives a Dodge and hauls around a trailer full of 22 head of calves having a payload of over 6.5 tons over mountain passes exceeding 10,000 feet in elevation.