Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is with the hate with game emulators

Default what is with the hate with game emulators

I consider myself a true gamer. I play old school and new school but some games are so hard to find anwd people wont you to pay out the @$$ I find using a emulators is a chiper With a laptop I can play anywhere. A usb controller I can lay back like I was playing on the TV. Im not the saying I don't like to play the real thing But win you can't find the game you wish to play I find that emulators badder way to go. I don't think that make me less of a gamer.

Who is hating on game emulators other then the anti-piracy crowd? Also if you want to use them, go right ahead. hardly anyone can stop you.

Here in NZ a working SNES will go for $700 if you're lucky enough to find one (games are even harder to find). If I want to play classic games an emulator is Unfortunatly the only practical way to go

I've never noticed any "hate" for game emulators. Maybe a preference for real hardware...

There's definitely things lacking when using an emulator vs real hardware, especially older systems like the NES. Good example is sound. Emulators are getting better at it, but no one (as far as I've seen) has really managed to fully emulate the sound of the old chips.

That said an emulator is way more convinient and in some cases the only real option.

I gon game site I sin post and win emulate brut up thar are 3 or 4 people saning thay suck.

I use emulators a lot. Basically, they influenced my decision of which OS to install in my new computer. I haven't seem any hate towards emulators other than from the copyright nuts gang. However things like the rumble pack and stuff need to be polished to give the whole experience. I can see some frustration comming from that.

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    Here in NZ a working SNES will go for $700 if you're lucky enough to find one (games are even harder to find). If I want to play classic games an emulator is Unfortunatly the only practical way to go
    Wowzors, I remember buying a working SNES for about 15 bucks in 1999 - I wish I'd hung onto that little beast, though it probably wouldn't have survived the years.

I've not heard ANY hate for emulators whatsoever, beyond some elitist rantings about the fact that most applications don't actually provide accurate emulation. I've been a pretty big emulator fan since the days when NESticle ruled the emulation world - I still think its wonderful interface inspired other greats like ZSNES and others. I still occasionally revisit old classics through emulation, like the classic Final Fantasies and Chrono Trigger (though the Android remakes have swayed me a bit back to legitimate-purchase territory)

It is illegal, but just like movie piracy no one cares. I do it the semi-legal way of getting the bios of of the consoles I own as I still have my old systems in working condition. It's also great for looking at how the games were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthon View Post
    It is illegal, but just like movie piracy no one cares. I do it the semi-legal way of getting the bios of of the consoles I own as I still have my old systems in working condition. It's also great for looking at how the games were made.
    Totally not true... Emulators are %100 legal. And if you own the game, it's easy enough to dump yourself a ROM, which is also %100 legal. Even ROM hacks, which are simply distributed in patch files, IPS or UPS files that only patch your existing ROM files and have no official assets are %100 legal too.

It only becomes a legal grey area when you download ROMs for games you own, and starts being illegal when you download ROMs for ones you don't.

I love emulators, I love the things you can do with them, play with them, and modify with them. Often if I get bored I'll download a ROM hack for one of the games I have and play it. Emulators allow me to play all of the games I own for my older consoles on my computer. It also lets me play fan games that are quite often very well done. For example, check some of these Pokemon hacks out:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184