Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Certified Now!

Default I'm Certified Now!

Ok, it's been about 3 weeks now, but I'm officially an Open Water Diver (for scuba diving) now and I just wanted to post it up when I finally got the chance. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else here on the forums scuba dives? It'd be kinda cool to go diving with someone on the forums (any divers in NJ?). I'm looking forward to doing more with this, I took it so I could maybe dive on underwater excavation sites for underwater archaeology. I'm going to try and do the Rescue Water Diving course next, and I'm looking forward to maybe Diving at Aquariums in the near future (there's one I'm currently trying to sign up for now, I'm looking forward to swimming with dolphins ).
    So, that's all from me, otherwise questions for anyone on the forums that dives: How Long Have you Been Diving? Where do you Dive? Why do you dive? Anywhere Special That You Have Dived?

That's All For now, (If anyone's interested I have pics from my certification dive I can post links to) -LinusBlueSnow

I never dived nor took classes for it but it seams fun. The odd thing is I am terrified of the ocean due to the currents and nothing else. I don't want to go diving then find out "Oh crap I am to weak to swim back!"

Also I know the way to defeat rip currents is to swim to the side and get out of the current that way THEN swim back to the beach/boat.

Yup, that's it you got it, you swim parallel to the current (I think it's to the left or depending on whether you're in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere?).

I don't even know if I could swim far enough parallel to the current to get out of it, I guess I'd have to try to float out of it.

I know someone who is certified, but for security reasons I cannot tell you who. Big surprise eh.

I like to breathe air from the atmosphere, directly into my lungs, with nothing in between, if you know what I am saying. I think I would just go the illegal route and just dive without being certified. I suppose if I ever planned on doing it in the near future, which I don't, I should get certified.

MrAlex you swim parallel but still to the side of the current, so a bit diagonal. Because there is no way you're going to be able to swim against it. I've it before as part of the training (with a boat next to us) and everyone was drifting off.

Scuba diving, not yet sounds like fun though.

I've never scuba dived before. It definitely does sound fun though, it would be fun to try it sometime in future.

Never scuba'd, but I have done some snorkeling in the Keys and in Belize. If you get to Belize, I would highly recommend the Great Blue Hole for diving. And anywhere in the reef is great for snorkeling or diving.

I had several friends that got their diver's card while in Monterey. I kind-of regret not doing it there - it is apparently great diving (little cold for me, though you are apparently supposed to pee in your wetsuit to keep warm - not a problem for many of us!)

I would suggest if you get to Monterey looking into their aquarium dive. It is one of the best aquariums in the country, and they have a lot of tanks to dive.

Butterfly Mage

That is very cool that you are a certified diver. Not many people can ssay that. Congratulations!

I've only done it on holiday, but it was really fun!

Being underwater is just so cool...