Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plushie dependance??

Default Plushie dependance??

Ok, this may be kinda odd. First, i'm deathly afraid of the dark, even at my age haha. Secondly, i have to sleep with my pinkie pie plushie from build a bear or I get very anxious and sad. The thing is, for a school project, my Japanese teacher is taking us all to Japan on the 8th of July. Firstly, i dont know what to do about a light source, secondly, i cant take pinkie with me, because i DO NOT want to risk losing her there, or I would be absolutely devastated. I've grown on a dependance to cuddle with her every night. I cant just go and pick another one up from build A bear, as mine is special to me. I've been scared of the dark since I was 5, and now, at 18, i'm probably even more scared. Also, what do I do about my plushie? As I dont have any others to take. I'm so nervous about everything...

I know about this. I can not sleep whiteout my plushy.

Neither can I. Well, I can sort of sleep, but I get more like 2-3 hours of sleep rather than 8. I don't know about you, but I'd need to take at least one of my plushies / cuddle toys for a trip to Japan.

Ok stop at a toy store in japan and pick out a plush that will work take money to get it . That way you have a new friend and every one will be ok with it.tell the teacher you have heard so much about Japanese toys can you go see them. Good luck:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo5 View Post
    Ok, this may be kinda odd. First, i'm deathly afraid of the dark, even at my age haha. Secondly, i have to sleep with my pinkie pie plushie from build a bear or I get very anxious and sad. The thing is, for a school project, my Japanese teacher is taking us all to Japan on the 8th of July. Firstly, i dont know what to do about a light source, secondly, i cant take pinkie with me, because i DO NOT want to risk losing her there, or I would be absolutely devastated. I've grown on a dependance to cuddle with her every night. I cant just go and pick another one up from build A bear, as mine is special to me. I've been scared of the dark since I was 5, and now, at 18, i'm probably even more scared. Also, what do I do about my plushie? As I dont have any others to take. I'm so nervous about everything...
    At the age of 20 I am still mildly scared of the dark. My recommendation is to get a different plushie a week or two before you leave. Sleep with it and Pinkie for awhile, then transition to the new one only. Yes, it may be difficult. But if you are VERY attached to Pinkie, you may have to take the risk and take her with you.

As for the fear of the dark, you have two options. Either start trying to sleep without a nightlight now, you take one with you and face possible questioning from your roommate(s). Chances are, sleeping in the dark in a strange place is going to bother you if you don't choose one of these options.

Oh! Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous! Be sure to have a great time in Japan, I'd really wish I could go too by now ^_^!

I really understand that pinkie pie is important to you. And it would be horrible if you lose her over there.
    As mentioned ~... Perhaps pinkie pie has already a friend, which would be willing to take care of you on your vacation? Or if not, maybe you could find one? ;)
    So I'm also speaking of trying to use another plushie, especially for travelling/sleeping in another place. Surely pinkie pie wouldn't be mad than and you're still fine ^-^!

About the lightsource... that's complicated. Are you perhaps fine at sleeping with moonlight only? So with a window, where the louvered blinds or the shutters ain't closed.
    This works for me and watching the stars is great anyway! Though I miss my old attic window in my parents house...
    Otherwise... nothing on my mind except doing it right away without a word, so plugging in a lightsource or talking with your roommates. Anyway, can't you decide with whom you'd prefer to sleep? Perhaps you know atleast one, which would be fine with this or is already a good friend of yours.

And as a side note: I don't know your teacher... but you could also talk with him about this, though it may seem silly. It would "fix" this right away. However I'd only advice to do this if he's a great and kind guy in general and if every other option fails.

Best wishes anyway and don't let this spoil your fun. Be sure to have a great time in Japan! :3

Alright, ill do my best to try and sleep without a light, even though im very nervous. It just has to be done i guess.

I think you'd do best to wean yourself off the need for these things and just enjoy them. However, in the time you have alotted before the trip, that may be difficult. There have been some good suggestions for plushie substitution. How about this or something like it for light: Amazon.com: 50 1.5" White Mini Glow Sticks: Toys & Games

You might consider some very basic efforts to de-sensitize yourself to the dark and the absence of your plushie along these lines: Exposure therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Don't dive into the deep end immediately, just imagine yourself in the dark or without your plushie trying to sleep and when you can calmly do that, up the realism a little at a time.

You might be able to wear a light-up wrist watch. That'd be enough to light up a tiny bit of the space around you, without disturbing others, and could be just enough to help overcome your fear of the dark (something which really isn't as uncommon as you might think).

My suggestion for dealing with your plushie is to leave him at home to guard your house and promise him that you'll get a him a present from Japan. That way you're thinking about your plushie, and he knows you've not forgotten him.

This is the approach that I used when I had a similar problem.

Thank you guys! I'll definitely take all of this advice.