Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do "in-between" absorbencies exist?

Question Why do "in-between" absorbencies exist?

Forgive my ignorance in this thread

It's something that's common to EU brands, I've noticed: Tena offers their Slip product in Plus (6/8), Super (7/8), Maxi (8/8) and Ultima (9/8) capacities. (Of note, Ultima is only available in The Netherlands as far as I know, making Maxi the most-absorbent one you can get elsewhere).

I understand why Maxi exists, and to an extent Plus (it's certainly more discrete), but improvements in SAP have made Maxi almost as thin as Plus, and arguably if you're incontinent enough to need a diaper then you might as well go the full 9-yards, why settle for something less absorbent? I'm thinking it might be useful if you suffer from fecal but not bladder incontinence, but I have my doubts as you'd have to pee it in regardless.

Even if there is an adequate use-case for the Plus 6/8 capacity, who buys Super 7/8?

Abena has the same thing: they offer Abri-Form in capacities 1 through 4. I actually have a friend who prefers M3 to M4 and he says it holds about the same, but it's less bulk around his bum and gives him more freedom, but that still raises the question of why M1 and M2 exist. Has anyone tried them?

Zpeed

I buy Super, cause all the stores carry them, Maxi has to be ordered and then one have to buy the case
    Same prize per package, but with Maxi one get less diapers

I've used Abena L2s, they're quite nice for discreet wearing. About as thick as a Depend, but holds quite a bit. They just don't handle floods very well.

The reason I could see for thinner diapers existing is simple - It's better to start off thin in some cases, and merely add a stuffer if you need extra. I've found myself in a situation where I wore a Belissimo, but for whatever reason, I wasn't peeing much that day. (Consuming normal levels of liquid) Had I not just changed out of desire to be dry, it might've taken upward of 24 hours to wet that thing.

And there's the interest. Desire to be dry. Not everyone wants to waddle around soaked all day, all the time. Thinner, high quality diapers offer options, as you can simply add a stuffer to one, and it's almost the same as a high capacity diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
    as you can simply add a stuffer to one, and it's almost the same as a high capacity diaper.
    I can't see the point of faffing around with stuffers - surely the slight extra cost of a higher capacity diaper is less than having to buy a stuffer as well and then there is the extra installing positioning of the stuffer you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sambus View Post
    I can't see the point of faffing around with stuffers - surely the slight extra cost of a higher capacity diaper is less than having to buy a stuffer as well and then there is the extra installing positioning of the stuffer you have to do.
    Yes, but not everyone needs thick diapers at all times. They just offer flexibility. If we're talking cheapest here, we'd all use a single type of diaper. Sometimes, convenience (This time stemming from flexibility) is worth the extra cost.

I think it just comes down to what your need is. At night I like the Abena l4 as it has more side coverage as I am a side sleeper. When I'm wearing during the day or out of the house I like the Abena l3 its almost as absorbent a the l4 but quite a bit thinner and the padding is all down the center. So it really just comes down to what you need..

in the case of the Tenaís, I quite like the super. its nearly as absorbent as the maxi, but noticeably thinner and more discreet when worn. I really love having this option when Iím wearing thinner, lighter clothing. this is especially helpful on a hot day. it also helps that i can often carry more diapers in the same amount of space when traveling. also, as a bonus of sorts you get more diapers per pack. when Iím in london, I always buy them at JB&C, and its always nice to get 4 more diapers per pack for only 50p. I also really quite like the Ďplusí, and so does my girlfriend as thats what she wears when she wants a diaper. she always has at least one tena plus with her all the time. suffice to say, Iím not sure why they offer what they offer, but I really hope they continue to offer them, and not slim their offerings down the way other diaper brands have done. I think the tena slips are just about the best out there as far as Iím concerned.

now, how would I get my hands on some of these ultimas you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamuis View Post
    now, how would I get my hands on some of these ultimas you speak of.
    When I lived in the UK I got them by ordering from Farmaline who have a UK website but their warehouse is in Belgium: Tena Slip Ultima M 21 items order online.

You can also get them from EuroDL but they charge a premium and it isn't worth it.

Now that I'm in the USA the only place that ships to here is ABDLFactory.com. I recently had 2 packs of Ultima arrive, total cost for 42 diapers was over $120 USD. But they're worth it :p

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalSomeThing View Post
    When I lived in the UK I got them by ordering from Farmaline who have a UK website but their warehouse is in Belgium: Tena Slip Ultima M 21 items order online.

You can also get them from EuroDL but they charge a premium and it isn't worth it.

Now that I'm in the USA the only place that ships to here is ABDLFactory.com. I recently had 2 packs of Ultima arrive, total cost for 42 diapers was over $120 USD. But they're worth it :p
    wow thats expensive. I cringe every time I pay for the maxi’s, when I know how much cheaper I get them in the UK. about 28 dollars there, vs 45 here for a single pack. I wear far too regularly to pay that kind of money for diapers, so ill stick to the supers and maxi’s. I just reeeeeeeally wish Tena would officially sell their slip line here in the states. thanks for the headsup on getting the ultimas. ill look into them, and might try them once to see what they’re like.

Heh =), "almost as thin" as is not the same as "exactly as thin as". The maxi have been kinda bulky in the past, if they changed, that's good news probably tho.

Anyway, I've been one of the persons, which used the Tena Super a lot in the past, before I switched to Attends. Simply put the reason has been that the Maxi have been nearly impossible to wear beneath my clothes; it looked quite awkward or some jeans didn't even fit over them, so I couldn't get them over the diaper on my butt.... meh that sounds awkward.
    Well... the plus have been mostly too thin, so I grabbed the Super in the end.

As a side note: The one's with the highest absorbency also tend to get way more bulky as you know, that's also why I'm using the Attends S9 mostly, instead of the S10 (besides that they didn't exist in my country till 3 month's ago, so speaking of the M rather.)

Another point, which Eulogy already mentioned:

Not everyone wants to waddle around soaked all day, all the time.
    Well that hits the nail right on the head. And quite common for this reason is that a lot of people with IC tend to have set hours for their changing rhythm.
    So a lot of people simply don't use them to their full capacity and what comes cheaper in the end, if you're probably using the same amount or only 4 instead of 5 from the other versions? The less absorbent one's of course, mostly.
    And on the other hand nursing home residents and hospitals tend to choose a certain brand just at random. If they're fine, they will stick to them.

Although I wonder too, why the Abri s/m 1 still exist, i.e. a lot that are buying them, since they're basically just pads in a diaper shape ^_-.... and why the s4+m4 are discontinued in the EU, sadly...
    Last edited by daLira; 16-Jun-2013 at 17:02.