Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smells of an Abena M4

Default Smells of an Abena M4

I just received my first pack of M4s and had a few quick questions regarding its smells.

Will opening the plastic wrapping in a room cause that room to start smelling like diapers?

Will I begin to carry that scent of diapers on my body?

If I put used (#1 only) diapers in a plastic ziplock bag, then in a plastic shopping bag, then in the trash can, will any aromas escape?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinpampers View Post
    I just received my first pack of M4s and had a few quick questions regarding its smells.

Will opening the plastic wrapping in a room cause that room to start smelling like diapers?

Will I begin to carry that scent of diapers on my body?

If I put used (#1 only) diapers in a plastic ziplock bag, then in a plastic shopping bag, then in the trash can, will any aromas escape?

Thanks
    No opening the pack will not make you room smell of diapers, if they were sented you would smell them before you opened the pack.
    As for wearing them the will only smell if you stay in a wet diaper more than 3-4 hours or if you have eaten asparagus.
    For disposal don't bother with the Ziploc bag, unless you have to hide the evidence more than a few days, just bag them up and throw them into the trash.

Opening the package won't make your room smells like diapers, but from my experience, sealed plastic packages such as the ones diapers come in do have a distinct odor. It's usually a very tame odor and people who smell it won't make a connection between the smell and diapers.

If you're well hydrated, they won't smell too bad when you wet yourself (unless you're eating asparagus or something, like mentioned). However, sitting in a garbage back will cause them to smell eventually, and a lot sooner than you'd probably like. I get the impression that discretion is a concern here; definitely take the precautions you've mentioned already, and then some.

They make scented bags specifically for disposing of used diapers, those would be a great alternative to your current plan and would probably be far more effective in terms of odor. This thread has more information about these. Odor will most likely be an issue if you absolutely need to keep your diapers a secret and you plan on disposing of used wet diapers in a garbage can.

I agree with all of the above responses all of the adult diapers I've tried have no real smell of their own. The M-4s unlike many others do not control urine odors very well so if your pee smells bad, (your dehydrated), or you let used ones sit around too long in warm weather the smell can become objectionable quickly.

I would disagree with that. I think diapers do tend to have a scent to them, I mean the "unscented" ones.

To me they have a "sterile" smell, like you get when walking down the hall in a hospital. Difficult to describe.

But it's not strong, and not easily identified.

Well maybe slightly of fresh plastic but not of anything anyone would ID as a diaper more likely as new electronics or shoes.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

So is the consensus that if I ziplock them and plastic bag them in the trash can, that no odors will escape?
    Just want to be sure. Trash pickup comes once a week here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how loud is it when worn?

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinpampers View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

So is the consensus that if I ziplock them and plastic bag them in the trash can, that no odors will escape?
    Just want to be sure. Trash pickup comes once a week here.

Also, how loud is it when worn?
    Depends a bit on your diet/water consumption but it shouldn't smell badly enough that people notice it. I've had a few wet diapers tied up in a loose plastic bag and they don't smell bad yet, it's been 2-3 days. If you're ziplock/tying off bags then you should be perfectly fine.

You should be somewhat concerned about trying to get away with wearing them under clothing. From what I remember they were somewhat bulky and hard to conceal even when wearing baggy track pants over them to mask the sound and bulk.

They weren't that noisy though.

I plan on drinking a lot of water tomorrow to conceal any smell as well. Also it sounds like my plan for disposal should suffice.

I'll only be wearing when I know I'm alone so I should be ok as well there.