Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So why are you all afraid of buying diapers ?

Post So why are you all afraid of buying diapers ?

Today I got the strength to go out and buy some cheap Walgreens diapers. This is the first time I ever bought adult diapers >.< I figured I'd start low and work my way up to higher quality diapers eventually. But to tell you the truth I wasn't worried at all. Which was uprising. I was more worried of being seen with them by family/friends. So why are some of you all worried about publicly buying diapers or being noticed wearing diapers ?

Most people are afraid of little thoughts that they imagine are running through the minds of all the cashiers. These aren't (most often not) the real thoughts that are in the cashier's head, but what we fear could be the thoughts. And/or they're afraid the cashier will see them again somewhere and fully remember them as that guy/girl who bought adult diapers at their store. Maybe they'd tell their friends. Maybe they'd point to you and whisper. So far I haven't heard of this ever happening to anyone here, but I've heard a lot of expressions of fear over that idea.

I'm glad you were able to buy without worry! That's a great sign of self-confidence. Well done!

I'm fine with walk-in purchases and have bought at many places nearby. I did get a bit off-game once at a medical supply warehouse though that was being unfamiliar with that process. To me there's much more risk involved in online purchasing; someone else in the house could easily intercept the package, and one of those somebodies worked in the health care field and knows a package of diapers when they see one

Well for me is the being caught or seen by someone I know or knows me indirectly. It has been a while since I bought locally but I guess I'll have to embrace those fears because there are no other options.

When you live somewhere smaller, as I do, there's always a risk of running into someone you know. I regularly run into people I know while shopping (thankfully, never with diapers in hand!). So for some people, it's a very legitimate fear. I usually drive to the next town over to make my purchases just to decrease the risk. There are always risks involved, but risks can be reduced greatly if you plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    When you live somewhere smaller, as I do, there's always a risk of running into someone you know. I regularly run into people I know while shopping (thankfully, never with diapers in hand!). So for some people, it's a very legitimate fear. I usually drive to the next town over to make my purchases just to decrease the risk. There are always risks involved, but risks can be reduced greatly if you plan ahead.
    Oh man that's the truth. That was how it was before I moved to TX. Everyone in my town knew each other, including me. (I was 'the new one' for a few years, even if they didn't know my name, they knew of me.) I knew every employee and everyone shopping in the grocery store except for tourists. So yeah in small towns, even if you were legitimately incontinent, everyone would know your personal medical issues. I never bought private things there!! I'm just getting used to life in a town that's 60 times as big. I don't recognize anyone except the guy who makes the sushi at the grocery store, who points at me and says "crunchy rolls!" LOL. I love that guy.

Well, like people said, small towns usually. Most of the cashiers around here are people I went to High School with. I couldn't see myself buying adult diapers without at least a look of confusion. Not only that, but I can't drive, so I'd have to walk home with a bag full of diapers! That'd only make the experience that much worse.

Ordering online (if it's an option) can provide a wider selection, better diapers for your dollar, and discretion. Although, discretion can still be an issue ordering online (I know my local post office has opened my diaper packages before to rebox them due to damages; it's extremely humiliating). Still, most people experience much less anxiety when ordering online.

My main fear when buying diapers is just getting caught.

Whether buying at a store or buying online, the main idea is just the big #1 fear is being caught by someone you know who doesn't know of you being an AB/DL.

It's easier to get caught on my end specifically because a friend of mine works at the supermarket I go to so I constantly have to be cautious when I even think about buying AB/DL related stuff so he doesn't find me out and things go sour.

My main fear, as others have said, is getting caught by someone I know. I run into people I know at grocery stores all the time, and I can imagine other stores would not be much different. I am ok with ordering online, since most online diaper vendors ship discreetly.

I am also ok with buying in stores when I am travelling since I know that I will not run into anyone I know. The selection is not as good in stores so I usually don't.