Thread: A few cloth diaper questions.....

Default A few cloth diaper questions.....

I just had a few quick questions about flat diapers, and caring for cloth.

1. I've been using prefolds when I use cloth, but I've been curios about learning how to fold a flat diaper. Anyone have any experience? are they more bulky, less or more absorbent? I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time to learn. And the cost to buy.
    2. I've been wearing a little more recently, and that makes me want to wait a day or so to do the laundry, is that ok? with a "dry" diaper pail? or is bad for the diaper to wet it, and just toss it away for 24 hours before you wash it? (my makeshift "diaper pail" is out in the shed/garage as to minimize the impact my habit has on my wife.)
    -----WARNING, GRAPHIC CONTENT!!!!------
    3. Sometimes cleanup can be hard....so.....I....er.....have used flush-able diaper liners in an effort to ease clean up, but the only products I can find are, well for toddlers (too small). Anyone have any tips or good places to buy or make something that would fill the same purpose?

I've also been using a dependoco diaper, those things are great.

I know that cloth diapers is a minority thing around here, and it's a hard to find out much about a flat diaper over a prefold, but if you any input, I'd welcome it......("Oh hey, look at that. There is an SCA group"- Me, looking back through my search )

Question 1: I don't have experience with prefolds, so someone else will have to address that one.

Question 2: I only wear one diaper a day, since I only wear at night. I use a dry pail with a good, tight lid, and I'll let them sit for about 3 days before I wash. I've not had any issues with waiting that long to wash, and I'm not sure whether having more diapers sitting in the pail for several days would make a differnce. Personally I don't think that it would be a problem. The biggest problem I've had is using too much detergent, and then having to strip my cloth diapers about every 4 or 5 washes.

Question 3: *** WARNING...CONTINUING GRAPHIC CONTENT *** I've also looked for flushable liners in larger sizes, and not had much luck. However I came upon a good system that works okay...not ideal, but better than having to clean a large mess in a diaper. I use a booster system...I fold a microfiber towel in half, then place that between the folded halves of a terry cloth. This then goes in the diaper. Not only does that give me added absorbency, but it also makes cleaning up messes a little easier. Most of the mess stays on the terry, and not a lot gets on the diaper. And as long as you've not 'exploded' onto the entire terry cloth (mine run the entire length of my diaper) then you can use a non-messy part of the terry (usually the front) to begin the process of cleaning yourself. Then it's pretty easy to dump the mess into the toilet, use a wipe to get most of the mess off of the terry into the toilet, and then just throw the terry and microfiber into the pail with your diaper. Like I said, it's not as easy as a flushable liner, but it works better than having to dunk a whole diaper in the toilet.

And yes, check out the SCA group...lots of good advice there. Also, there are websites that talk about different kinds of diapers and how to fold them. I make my own custom fitted velcro diapers, so I've not had to worry about folding. I may try it sometime just for the experience. Good luck, and I'm always happy to answer questions...PM me if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeybravo View Post
    I just had a few quick questions about flat diapers, and caring for cloth.

1. I've been using prefolds when I use cloth, but I've been curios about learning how to fold a flat diaper. Anyone have any experience? are they more bulky, less or more absorbent? I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time to learn. And the cost to buy.
    2. I've been wearing a little more recently, and that makes me want to wait a day or so to do the laundry, is that ok? with a "dry" diaper pail? or is bad for the diaper to wet it, and just toss it away for 24 hours before you wash it? (my makeshift "diaper pail" is out in the shed/garage as to minimize the impact my habit has on my wife.)
    -----WARNING, GRAPHIC CONTENT!!!!------
    3. Sometimes cleanup can be hard....so.....I....er.....have used flush-able diaper liners in an effort to ease clean up, but the only products I can find are, well for toddlers (too small). Anyone have any tips or good places to buy or make something that would fill the same purpose?

I've also been using a dependoco diaper, those things are great.

I know that cloth diapers is a minority thing around here, and it's a hard to find out much about a flat diaper over a prefold, but if you any input, I'd welcome it......("Oh hey, look at that. There is an SCA group"- Me, looking back through my search )
    I also wear the Dependeco AIO diapers everynight. When I get up in themornings after I'm done peeing in it. I take mine off and put it to soak in my pail which contains Arm & Hammer with Oxi Clean.
    I let it soak in that and later on in the morning I let it rinse out in the shower clamped to the shower head. I don't have laundry facilities so that's how I do it.
    As far as prefolds go I don't have any experience with them. Maybe Cottontail will way in on this as he's the expert on them.

2) A day or three is fine with a dry pail. I would recommend no more than five days, and even that is a stretch. But, one or two days will be fine.

3) adultclothdiaper.com used to sell flushable liners, but I don't see them listed on the site anymore. I don't know if they stopped selling the liners or if they're just out. They were a bit mediocre though. I haven't found any good adult-sized ones.

1) There are several ways to fold flat diapers. You could fold them like you do with prefolds, but layering them as you like. I personally prefer the kite fold. I omit the first couple of foldovers since adult flats don't have enough material for that (at least for my preferences) as well as the last fold where she folds the point over. I also add soaker layers, which are just more diapers folded over by thirds to reduce the width. The idea is similar to the result of the origami fold, but again, I find the adult cloth diapers just don't have enough material to handle all those folds and still fit around my 36 inch waist.

Personally, I enjoy flats. I like the snug fit I can get with them as well as the easy customization flats allow. I can easily add layers until I can't walk or my plastic pants won't fit. The folds aren't really too hard to learn (I mean, tying a necktie is harder than folding a diaper, and both are pretty easy with a bit of practice), and I think it was well worth it.

Enjoy!