Thread: Technical guitar question

Default Technical guitar question

So i just got a new guitar with locking grover tuners. It cam stung with just the string put through the hole, locked and tuned. This i found to be very bad because one of the strings popped out of the peg when i tried to tune it one time. On my other guitars, which dont have locking tuners, my standard method was to pull it through the peg, pull the end around the peg and under its self, the kink it back over the sting creating a loop around the string. This is a pretty standard string lock from what I understand. Should I do the same thin to the guitar with locking tuners? Will it Make a difference, if so good or bad? I expect to play this guitar a lot so any help is appreciated.

What do you mean by "popped out of the peg" ? Do you mean that the tuner slipped and the locking mechanism let the string slide out of the tuner itself?

-Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BabyTommy View Post
    Should I do the same thin to the guitar with locking tuners
    I'd think that would kinda defeat the point of locking tuners, which as I understand it is more or less to eliminate the need to have a few wraps around the peg (as these wraps can loosen up if you are heavy on the whammy bar and bring the guitar out of tune). Never used them myself though so no idea as to why they'd be slipping. Random stab in the dark would be that they wern't tightened properly or the string guage was wrong for the locking mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I'd think that would kinda defeat the point of locking tuners, which as I understand it is more or less to eliminate the need to have a few wraps around the peg (as these wraps can loosen up if you are heavy on the whammy bar and bring the guitar out of tune). Never used them myself though so no idea as to why they'd be slipping. Random stab in the dark would be that they wern't tightened properly or the string guage was wrong for the locking mechanism?
    I think you are right, the locking tuners are supposed to keep string change time down, but the string lock just helps it stay in tune better, I havent seen any tuning advantage to the locking tuners. However, the time it takes to change a string is a LOT faster with these.

I would try and use the locking tuners to the best of their ability, grovers are pretty reputable tuners and I'm sure a bit of setup work would make them function 100% the way they are supposed to.

As for your method of 'locking' tuners onto the post by wrapping the string over and then under itself to create a loop, that's the same method I use with stellar results. I use that method on my Stratocaster and I can dive-bomb the vibrato pretty intensely without going out of tune. If I do go out a little, I give the vibrato bar a quick slap and I'm back in, dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyTommy View Post
    Technical guitar question
    the string-side faces away from the body.
    that's as technical as i get

I have 1 Squier set up with Sperzels and Graph Tech saddles and while it helps, I mostly run it hard-tail. Where the graphite saddles pay off is far, far, far less string breakage. Bone stock Strats commonly have the G go sharp after heavy dives, which of course is remedied by a bendy pentatonic run. Voila, back in tune again. The caveat here is if you really have to uptrem get a Floyd, FFS. Only a double-locking system can float exactly centered and be accurate enough to be within microtones of where you started