Thread: A little thing called PRISM

I honestly assumed this the day I signed up on facebook and made a tinfoil hat.

As Obama said, you can't have 100% security and 100% privacy. Funny part...he claims this isn't directed at Americans...but wait...I'm Canadian and there exist no real borders on the internet, and I'm considered a citizen of a foreign country so...oops. Shouldn't have written on Facebook that my favorite burger is a McBlowJob.

I kinda always assumed this was the case. I mean, no reason to expect the need/desire that gave us echelon and friends didn't translate into the "internet" age.

I can't really say I'm outraged. Can't say I'm happy about it either.

The article does hit on the most important point though. The current legal systems of the world need to be revamped to deal with the realities of the internet. More specifically, society in general needs to decide what they even want those laws to look like.

Most of the tech giants are denying any involvement in prism, and I'm pretty sure that they'd need to be involved for something like this to work... unless all the software/hardware producers are putting secret backdoors in everything.

Tech giants condemn US spying program PRISM, deny giving authorities 'back door' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Mind you, now that I think about it, denying involvement in such a thing as prism might be part of the whole scheme. I don't know what to think.

News? I mean, ok it's "public" now... but honestly it's something I suspected for a LOONG time.

BUT:
    it's entirely UP TO YOU *what* you post on these platforms.
    I for one use GPlus & Facebook ONLY - STRICTLY ONLY - for my business (I post marketing stuff, coupon codes, photos of new products, work in progress, etc...) basically NOTHING that I would not want to be COMPLETELY PUBLIC anyhow.

For my company & private e-mail I DO NOT USE GOOGLE ... in fact I use an offshore Hoster that has no real relations with either my country of residence or the US. sure it ain't foolproof... but it makes it a tad more difficult.

Skype? yes sure... but just as with mobile phone, fixed phones, etc... if I'd have something to discuss that should be REALLY PRIVATE... I wouldn't use any of these and just get an encrypted sat-phone.

So the deal is actually simple: what you "divulge" on platforms like google, gmail, hotmail, facebook, instagram, etc... it's up to you... if you post PRIVATE information, you're playing with "fire".
    Post only stuff that doesn't matter AT ALL if ANYONE will know at a point.

The other part: if a gvt. agency (no matter if US, Germany, Swiss, British, French,...) gets you in their crosshairs personally, for a suspicion (Taxes, fraud, crime, terrorism, etc.)... you'll be put through some surveillance - legal or not. Most countries have had a LOT of cases of unwarranted wire-tapping, Internet-tapping, spying, etc...
    Just because it's "illegal" for them, it doesn't mean they don't do it...

and yes, we quite live in the perfect orwellian society these days. A lot of things have become a "glass house" - see through for anyone who cares.
    Social interactions on a global scale, compared to what used to be mostly "local" not a 100 years ago for most comes with a certain price.
    Freedom of speech has throughout history always been "endangered" and at times much more strictly "handled" than at others.

The one thing we should remember: We put those governments in PLACE... we gave them the power... it's people who are AFRAID who feel "threatened" who have Voted for governments to have even more and more surveillance rights. it's US shit like the patriot act (and it's "counterparts" in other countries) that should NEVER have gotten ANY approval.
    You just need to know: it's going to get a LOT worse.

But the good thing: The more they rely on modern technology, the more complex it will get - the flood of data is already complex to handle... and so far at least no one's really listening in on private conversations person to person.
    Then there's always heavy encryption (again not foolproof, but it would require a lot effort to break a 2048bit DES or AES encryption QUICKLY... even with gvt. ressources).

if you're concerned about YOUR PRIVACY you need to learn how to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    Most of the tech giants are denying any involvement in prism, and I'm pretty sure that they'd need to be involved for something like this to work... unless all the software/hardware producers are putting secret backdoors in everything.

Tech giants condemn US spying program PRISM, deny giving authorities 'back door' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Mind you, now that I think about it, denying involvement in such a thing as prism might be part of the whole scheme. I don't know what to think.
    Part of what makes that convoluted though is for all we know they could be following gag orders that prevent them from speaking out about it.

All in all I'm usually skeptical of reports like this but I can help but notice the tidbit that twitter is not among the companies. The fact it's not there helps give the leak authenticity to me. Twitter has been one of the most staunch defenders of privacy, even risking legal action to notify users their personal data is being subpoenaed. It also doesn't help that the government has now admitted that it exists.

All in all it's a sad and sorry state to see the 4th Amendment today. Hopefully this will propel privacy to becoming a political issue.