Thread: little toddler. dresses

Default little toddler. dresses

I am looking into making toddler dresses but I want to know about cuts for the bust should I add room there, does anyone have a good size chart, I want sissies and girls to both be able to use it.

CrinklySiren

I think your best bet is to calculate an average in bust sizes :P or just make sets for two different body types. I would say just leave a bit of room, I've learned that what boys are lacking in bust they make up for in chest broadness (it stretches the outfit and flattens out the chest)

Expect to go thru a stage of trial and error. Around the neck line mens necks are larger by a couple of inches. As for chest/bust measurements - a tape measure run around the
    chest just below the arm pits is the starting point for the guys. For gals the tape measure is run around just below the breast and then again over the nipples the difference determines
    the bra size. Go to a site like JCPenny and look up how the bra size is determined. Next up is the waist - the trend is low waist about 3-5 inches below the navel. Regulation kilt wearers
    use the navel as the start point. For jeans pants and skirts this is a real variable area. A lot depends on the waist being elastic and the item of clothing is simply pulled on-up. A lot of room
    here for how far the waist will move up of down. If the waist is fasten with a zipper (or button) closing the waist is generally a fixed number. Forget sizes numbers etc. Get and use a tape
    measure. If it is a skirt then the waist can be a fixed spot if fasten with zipper (side or back or front). If elastic then there is some play in where the skirt sits on/above/below the waist.
    With pants and jeans these are limited as to how high they will fit when the crotch is snugged up in the crotch. The measurement here is called RISE and is measured from the seam at the
    crotch bottom to the top of the front waist band. Ultra low rise is around 6-7 inches - low rise is 7-10 - after that you are pretty much in the standard area of wear - above 16 inches and
    you are looking at an Empire waist at the bottom of the rib cage; this is usually in dresses.
    WAIST is where you usually wear your own well fitting clothing - there is a lot of room here but pay attention to what you wear.
    The last big measurement is the dreaded HIPS. This is measured about 6 inches below the navel. Run a tape measure across the buttocks and around to the front and do not pull snuggly.
    For men hips are roughly 3-4 inches bigger than the waist (very small hour glass) for women it could be 6-10 inches (very noticeable hour glass) With the newer fashions clothing worn at
    a lower waist off the hips and the measurements will not be to great.

In closing for size charts look at the websites of i.e. JCPenny for one and others Sears - Mail Order outfits - etc. and remember that one sellers sizes and measurements are not EXACTLY the
    same of all the rest. Think VANITY SIZING. Some of the sizing charts are very graphic and can give you a better idea of the scheme of measuring.

In answer to the original post buy something cheap on ebay or a thrift store and find out how it is constructed and fits - then pattern your fantasy off of that.

I just placed an order with Very Special Clothes Prior to ordering I printed out the measurement chart from the site. I took all the measurements that were asked for. In my
    OP It was a very good measurement diagram for where to take them and then record them. Also questions were asked about measurements taken with a diaper on. For a chest
    measurement I also left the comment was made with bra on. Just click on the measurement chart at the top of the page. Hope this helps a little bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0484.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	17443 I plan to make dresses with the strings in back so you can adjust it somewhat, I want to make affordable dresses, can anyone find me a good size chart for standard dresses.

Patterns arnt to bad check out thrift stores then yout set:-) they are so cheapest there.

I will work on it I think ill try for size 1-4 5-9 and 10-14 just like a one size fits all kinda thing

Quote Originally Posted by FateDesigns View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0484.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	17443 I plan to make dresses with the strings in back so you can adjust it somewhat, I want to make affordable dresses, can anyone find me a good size chart for standard dresses.
    I LOVE that dress:-)