Thread: OK, here goes!

Default OK, here goes!

Hi,

I'm a relatively new DL living in the UK. I found this site by searching on Google and joined up almost immediately as I thought it would make me feel more normal I guess. It's nice to know I'm not alone in the way I am.

Ok, a bit about myself. I am a 36 year old female. I love the outdoors, swimming and cycling. I own a camper van and enjoy traveling in it. I really like Sci-fy and horror films and books. I love animals, particularly dogs. I have a Yorkshire Terrier (hence the profile pic).

Hope I get a lot from this site.

Hi FireStorm and welcome to our little place on the net.
    Yay, another European joins the ranks, but truly this is an amazing gathering of people from all over the globe.

Hmmm, Sci-Fi you say, do you perchance like Star Wars?
    I am a big Star Wars fan myself but also love Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke.

Relatively new DL? If you donīt mind me asking, how did you get into it? Did someone introduce it to you?
    Most of us here has had these feelings/cravings since childhood and/or puberty.

Well, enough questions, welcome yet again and I hope you will find your place around here *hugs*

I can also recommend the live chat (IRC, available when you reach EC status)

Hi ShortGuy.

Thank you for the welcome.

I love Star Wars and even still have some of the original figures from when I was a child. I also like the Aliens saga and was really exited when Prometheus came out.

As for being a relatively new DL, well I think the feelings have been there for a long time. As a baby I wore cloth nappies and plastic pants. I remember trying them on when I was about 4 or 5 (I don't know why) and my mum caught me. I was really embarrassed and never did it again, but would become embarrassed whenever adverts for nappies came on the TV. Through my teens and twenties I never really thought much about it, but when I began working with children and young adults who wore them due to incontinence and medical needs, the desire to try them myself became quite strong. I started to do so a year ago, just occasionally but now it's getting more often.

I've never told anyone about this, either in person or online before today, as I've always felt no-one would understand.

Howdy and welcome to ADISC, FireStorm! You are most certainly not alone, and there are lots of people who do understand. I hope you meet some of those people here and make some friends. You'll also find plenty of interesting topics to engage in.

I love the UK and can't wait to visit again. You guys know how to do beer and pubs right! I watched two episodes of Man Lab last night--ever seen it? Also a big Dr. Who fan, and have been known to drive around in an MG from time to time.

Anyway, enough babbling from me. Stay dry and happy!

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Hi,

I'm a relatively new DL living in the UK. I found this site by searching on Google and joined up almost immediately as I thought it would make me feel more normal I guess. It's nice to know I'm not alone in the way I am.

Ok, a bit about myself. I am a 36 year old female. I love the outdoors, swimming and cycling. I own a camper van and enjoy traveling in it. I really like Sci-fy and horror films and books. I love animals, particularly dogs. I have a Yorkshire Terrier (hence the profile pic).

Hi FireStorm and welcome to the site. Though I live in the U. S., I too enjoy Sci fi and especially horror or scary stories. I've written two for this site, "Going Home" and "Werewolf". I like stories about hauntings, and I'm writing a novel about a family that moves into their Great Aunt's haunted house. When I'm not writing, I am out riding my Trek bike on our bike trail. Otherwise, I work two jobs which keeps me busy.

Welcome to the forums. I am rather new here myself.

I am trying to send more time working out, and I am quite fond of swimming myself.

Hey there, welcome to ADISC!

I'm glad you found us - it's always a relief to find out you're not alone with these kinds of things

What kind of science fiction / horror books do you like reading?

I tend to jump around a bit with my reading genres, but recently I've been enjoying reading some sci fi including Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson. Before that I was catching up on the A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones).

All the best ~ Puppyluvs

Thanks Puppyluvs.

The more I read on this site the more I realise that my 'interest' is not that unusual after all. What a pity I've repressed it for over 30 years!!

As for books, I've loved Stephen King since I was a teen and a few years ago I discovered Dean Koontz. The Sci-Fi books tend to be films like Star Wars and Terminator. I haven't been reading a lot lately as my outdoor activities have taken over. I'm out of touch with recent things like Game of Thrones - I guess I need to catch up.

Regards, FireStorm

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Hi,

Hi Firestorm

I live in the UK too, in the midlands to be exact, where do you hail from?

I used to love camping, but I "roughed it" in a tent. I love the Star Wars movies, but we sadly never had the toys when we were kids.

I used to enjoy swimming prior to becoming poorly, now I have to sit and watch others enjoying it instead lol

I also used to enjoy spending a lot of time on Cannock Chase, it boasts some awesome cycle rides for all abilities, even some red and black trails.

I have a few animals, Sam our black Labrador being our latest family member I also have a tarantula and a snake.

Anyway, a warm welcome from me!

Kind regards,

Vimes x

Hi Vimes, thanks for the welcome.

I live in Greater Manchester.

The only time I've slept in a tent was as a child in our back garden. A camper van is much more comfortable.

So what do your tarantula and snake eat? Can't say I've ever fancied having either as a pet. I have a Yorkie, 2 gerbils and 2 fish.

Regards

FireStorm