Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Curiosity

Default Smoking Curiosity

I've been around cigarettes my entire life. My mother has smoked as long as I can remember, all of my siblings smoke, and nearly all of my friends smoke.

I'm not sure why, but every time I'm around a cigarette, I have this want to light it and start smoking. It's weird. I don't smoke, and I don't really plan to, but if there's a pack lying around, I can't help but put it in my mouth and fight the urge to start. I've put so many cigarettes in my mouth and just inhaled on them that I can hardly count them. I only inhale once, but it's enough to get that stupid light headed feeling that I hate so much, so I immediately take it out.

When ever I'm sitting alone, I start to actually act like I have a cigarette in my hand or in my mouth, and even act like I'm doing it. I hardly notice it at times, it's just my go-to thing when my hands have nothing better to do.

I find smoking a cigarette incredibly bad-ass in movies and junk. Tyler Durden and "Jack" from Fight Club (which I've recently watched for the first time) come to mind when I think of smoking in movies.

I'm not sure why, but it's just this strong curiosity I have about them, and I'm constantly fighting the urge. I cannot stand cigarettes - or smoking in general - but I can't help but love them.

Am I alone here? I'd be surprised if I wasn't, but is there a reason for this? It's a bit worrying, because I can't promise that I wouldn't start.

It could be a number of things; being around smokers your entire life is likely to have given you at least a bit of second hand smoke, so you may have a slight addiction. However, take that statement with a grain of salt as that area is not in my expertise. Another thing may be that you are just simply imitating your friends and family; if you spend a lot of time with people you can pick up some of their mannerisms which has happened to me. Please don't take this as gospel, I'm only putting forward a couple of suggestions.

A little back ground so you know where I'm coming from.
    I started smoking at your age 19.
    I smoked for 20 years.
    At 39 I had a heart attack that almost killed me. I was sent to one of the top heart hospitals and they sent me home telling me there was nothing they could do for me.
    Thirty years later I'm still suffering with the effects of that, Asthma.
    The dumbest thing I ever did in my life was start smoking.
    Resisting the urge when everyone around you is doing it is not easy. But it sounds like you are strong enough to do it.
    The easiest way to quit smoking is to NEVER START!
    Another thing is the cost. In looking at the price per pack you could almost go to college for what you would spend on this habit.
    Besides not smoking give you more money to spend on your padded side (LOL)
    Please don't give in to this. No matter what your friends and family are doing you have made the right choice.

I personally will never ever smoke,drink,or do drugs because It's Wrong,Bad for you and will kill you in long run. I don't want to hurt my body because I want live be a 100 years old and smoking and drinking and drugs will kill you faster like slowly dieing inside like slow suicide and you will die at very young age because of Smoking,Drinking and Drugs.

I started smoking at 20, slowly quiting at 29 finding that the e cigarettes help a lot. Down to about half a pack every two days or so. Best way to stop smoking is not to start in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    A little back ground so you know where I'm coming from.
    I started smoking at your age 19.
    I smoked for 20 years.
    At 39 I had a heart attack that almost killed me. I was sent to one of the top heart hospitals and they sent me home telling me there was nothing they could do for me.
    Thirty years later I'm still suffering with the effects of that, Asthma.
    The dumbest thing I ever did in my life was start smoking.
    Resisting the urge when everyone around you is doing it is not easy. But it sounds like you are strong enough to do it.
    The easiest way to quit smoking is to NEVER START!
    Another thing is the cost. In looking at the price per pack you could almost go to college for what you would spend on this habit.
    Besides not smoking give you more money to spend on your padded side (LOL)
    Please don't give in to this. No matter what your friends and family are doing you have made the right choice.
    I agree with what Ringer says. I myself smoked for over 40 years. At around age 60 I had pneumonia which put me in the hospital for a week. That's when I quit cold turkey.
    I told my boss that I had give myself a pay raise of about $100.00 a month. I think it took about 2 years to get all poision from smoking out of my system. I still have a minor
    breathing problem if I do any strenous excersise or work. I will have to stop and rest a little bit when i do. When I started smoking everybody I knew also tried it in some shape
    or form whether it was cigars,pipe, or cigarettes. Back in those days cig's were about 30 cents a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I find smoking a cigarette incredibly bad-ass in movies and junk. Tyler Durden and "Jack" from Fight Club (which I've recently watched for the first time) come to mind when I think of smoking in movies.
    Kinda funny is, that Edward Norton refused to smoke for the movie, at which he acted before Fight Club, but did immediately for this one.
    By the way, read the book, it's great!

Anyway... as mentioned, best way to quit, is actually not to start smoking at all. Personally I've got no problem with smoker's... I don't care, if it's one way of coping or similar origins.
    But it's kind of bad, really. Not only the tobacco itself (and everything it produces while burning), but also every other stuff, which big brands tend to mix up with their cigarettes and pure tobacco, are proven to be carcinogenic, i.e. to cause cancer.

Besides, I'm not smoking myself, but I tend to get the urge if I'm kinda drunk... so I try to avoid the last.

CrinklySiren

I smoke maybe a pack every 2 weeks because i only smoke 1-2 a day, but i could smoke an entire pack or at least half of one on a night out drinking >_< i wake up the next day with a crazy sore throat. I do want to quit for good but when you're drinking its hard to not crave a cigarette -___-

I think though that in moderation anything can be harmless :P one celebratory cigar every few months is bound to cause little to no damage. In fact i took a test that calculated how many days i've lost from my life determined by how much i smoke, and I overstated in the test by the amount of years and the amount of cigarettes (because i dont smoke EVERY day, but it didnt have detailed options) and after putting 2 cigarettes a day for 6 years, i've only lost 10 days of my lifespan xD and i don't even smoke as much as that.

June

Quote Originally Posted by ZooeySis View Post
    I smoke maybe a pack every 2 weeks because i only smoke 1-2 a day, but i could smoke an entire pack or at least half of one on a night out drinking >_< i wake up the next day with a crazy sore throat. I do want to quit for good but when you're drinking its hard to not crave a cigarette -___-

I think though that in moderation anything can be harmless :P.
    There is a difference between smoking socially and smoking a pack a day, however, it is very easy to go from the lesser to the latter. Keep in mind that denial plays a big part in that addiction too. I started occasionally smoking at work (there was a cigar shop nearby), convincing myself a cigar during my break wasn't going to hurt me because I only smoked at work and didn't inhale was step one. Later, I started smoking with friends every weekend on top of that. During the late winter and early spring, I started smoking a few times a week to cope with my anxiety and panic attacks. Now, it's summer, and I'm almost smoking daily. Working as a waiter sucks, and it's a great way to procrastinate.

I'm not addicted yet, but I can feel I'm very close. So now I'm at the fork in the road where I either go cold turkey or keep smoking and face increasing risks of lung cancer, emphezyma, gum disease, etc. Seems like an easy decision, right?

Ultimately, smoking will more than likely cut a few decades off your life. Maybe it won't; some smokers have lived to 90. But it is a very easy habit to get into, and one of the hardest to break.

CrinklySiren

Honestly though I wouldn't say im addicted, i mean i get the craving to smoke but i don't get withdrawal when i dont smoke, nor do I get agitated or upset, i just get a craving, similar to getting a craving for pizza or something :P as in, i can live without it, but a slice would be so awesome right now lol.

I can't say the same for coffee though, if I don't get my espresso in the morning I literally start having withdrawal symptoms if i wait longer than 3 hours. Its a little scary to be honest, because if when i wait too long to get my coffee, i'll start getting upset, depressed, things will sadden me quicker, my patience level gets pretty low, and then finally when I go get my espresso, almost instantly from taking a sip, all of that seems to disappear and become totally gone once im done drinking it :P

Honestly, I would be more scared of this, but since its coffee and since i have to be up early for work every day, i can't really bring myself to care >_< lol, should i be worried? :3