Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Operating Systems

Default Operating Systems

What is your favorite OS, or what OS do you chose to use most often, and why?

- - - Updated - - -

For me its linux because I like the extra freedom and control that comes with it. I switched from windows to using Ubuntu as my primary desktop OS a while ago, and haven't touched my windows partition since. I haven't really tried enough distros to say Ubuntu is my favorite, but I do think it has style.
    Last edited by Near; 02-Jun-2013 at 05:02.

I have a slight preference for OpenBSD. It's simple, straightforward, and generally makes sense. It doesn't work with the vpn software I need for work, however, and lacks good virtualization support, so I generally use linux instead. I prefer straight up debian, since I don't like Ubuntu's unity interface. And other than my laptop and desktop I don't need to install X.

I use FreeBSD for my file server because of ZFS, which is an awesome filesystem.

Linux here. Gentoo's my distro of choice (and has been going back quite a while).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    I use FreeBSD for my file server because of ZFS, which is an awesome filesystem.
    Apparently there is some (non-fuze) ZFS support for Linux approaching general usability. It's on my ever growing list of things to check out. I ended up going with linux on my internal file server because it also doubles as a vm host (xen, I run the file server part in a domU).

I have xubuntu on my laptop, I wanted the kids to use it too, but roblox won't work on linux yet so I used a virtual machine and installed windows into that, but found that roblox wouldn't cope with the graphics driver that virtual windows installed, so.ended up dual booting so they could have poxy roblox and I could play with linux.

Smile

Ubuntu drove me crazy! It's so complicated if you're a control freak who wants to know what every single setting is and does!

My favourite OS so far has to be Arch Linux by a long shot. It's clean, simple, you install it from scratch, one package at a time (if you want) so you know where all the configuration files are and what they do. It's a rolling release so there will never be a "new major version" requiring re-installation. The documentation is great. It's rather elegant and beautiful, if I may say so!

After Arch Linux, my favourite OS of all time would be Windows XP (for all its faults, it's easy to use and reliable).

https://www.archlinux.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Apparently there is some (non-fuze) ZFS support for Linux approaching general usability. It's on my ever growing list of things to check out. I ended up going with linux on my internal file server because it also doubles as a vm host (xen, I run the file server part in a domU).
    Yeah, I've heard reasonably good things about it:

ZFS on Linux

I've been meaning to play with it, and will when I reinstall my my linux desktop. Currently I'm using that hardware to host all of my xen vms, but have new hardware for that - just need to migrate them (actually, I should be free this weekend...). My primary machine is a laptop, and zfs didn't quite seem worth it for that (yeah, I'd get snapshots, but not raid).

The file server is running FreeNAS, which I'm a fan of and mostly "just works," so I'm unlikely to change that. And I have 12TB+ of storage, so there's not that much value in virtualizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Ubuntu drove me crazy! It's so complicated if you're a control freak who wants to know what every single setting is and does!
    Most of the debian-esq distros are like that. Great if you want something that "just works", but all the insanity they put in there to make that happen is hard to wrap your head around, and a huge pain if you need to do something a little unusual. Distros like Gentoo (and from what I hear Arch as well) just handle the standard case and if you are doing something different, you make it work! You end up with nice consise config files rather than sprawling shell scripts spread everywhere and layers of symlinks.

Also totally with you on the rolling release. I get the value of versioned releases (little more stable because they can be tested better), but I'll take "just the current version of everything all the time" any day ;p

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAcorn View Post
    And I have 12TB+ of storage, so there's not that much value in virtualizing it.
    I currently have 12TB (8x 2TB drives in a RAID6), expandable to 20TB (I use a highpoint raid card that supports up to 12 drives and have the bays already installed). Virtualization was more about using the seriously over-speced hardware (it's the best box I've got.. good server mobo, xeon processor, ECC ram, etc..) while keeping the most important part (the file server) very lean and simple (less stuff to go wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I currently have 12TB (8x 2TB drives in a RAID6), expandable to 20TB (I use a highpoint raid card that supports up to 12 drives and have the bays already installed). Virtualization was more about using the seriously over-speced hardware (it's the best box I've got.. good server mobo, xeon processor, ECC ram, etc..) while keeping the most important part (the file server) very lean and simple (less stuff to go wrong).
    Are you using PCI passthrough in xen for the raid card? I've wanted to experiment with that, but haven't had a use for it yet since I missed the boat on GPU bitcoin mining.

Yeah, I was thinking about the server hardware/ECC ram/etc just after I posted that. ZFS likes lots of RAM, though, so while the low-end xeon E3 I have is overkill, it is using most of the RAM I have in that box.

For storage I have one zpool of 12 3TB drives in two striped raidz2 vdevs, using Serveraid M1015s flashed to JBOD mode since ZFS doesn't like hardware raid cards. It's total overkill, but I didn't want to run out of storage for a while.

My new hardware is also a xeon E3, and I plan to use iSCSI for vm storage on a separate network, hopefully with mpio so I can get 2gbs. That should be fun, if I can get it set up.

These days I am using Windows 8, though the bugs and now actually managed to get their redesigned blue screen of death is probably going to drive me back to linux. I used to actually be a trusted user for Arch Linux, packaging packages for it before they started AUR. Might look into moving back to that, but possibly Ubuntu if I can handle Unity and its whole thing. May end up just settling with Linux Mint, its what I put on my dad's netbook when his windows crashed.