Thread: cpu fan question

Default cpu fan question

the computer tower i bought has 5 fans in it 2 intake and 3 exaust, the two factory intakes are 200MM on the side window and a 120MM in the front grille to cool the HHD. the three exaust fans are all 120MM with two being on top of the case and the third being in the normal location on the back. the two liquid cooling radiators require 120MM intake fans and the only fans in the case that have enough room to mount a radiator to are the three exaust fans. the question i have is would it be ok to run 4 intake and one exaust so i can setup the radiators as they are recomended or would it be best to run the radiators on an exaust setup?

Probably better to have it set up as the latter. The radiator fins are there to transfer heat to ambient air. Having all the cool air coming in won't help if there's nowhere for it to go out

I think it would be better to have more exhausting fans then fans to pull air in. But you're fan setup sounds perfect.

If you want to help keep the tempature down, just hide as many cables inside the case as possible. (Cable Route that PC.)

I think radiators work better with cool air being sucked in from outside the case (that's what my liquid cooled CPU block thingy said in the instructions, anyway).

What you might want to do, is just hang the fans in loosely, then power up, put the PC under load (using Prime95, for example) and see what temperatures are reported (with something like Speedfan). Then, let the PC cool down completely, and try a different set up with some fans reversed and see how that changes things. Which setup results in the hottest CPU/GPU/HDD/case temperature after 5 minutes at full load? That should help find the "coolest" setup.

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I think radiators work better with cool air being sucked in from outside the case (that's what my liquid cooled CPU block thingy said in the instructions, anyway).

What you might want to do, is just hang the fans in loosely, then power up, put the PC under load (using Prime95, for example) and see what temperatures are reported (with something like Speedfan). Then, let the PC cool down completely, and try a different set up with some fans reversed and see how that changes things. Which setup results in the hottest CPU/GPU/HDD/case temperature after 5 minutes at full load? That should help find the "coolest" setup.

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
    Oh I didn't see that he was water cooling. Yeah my thoughts are invalid, disregard them.