Thread: So I kinda sorta came out to a friend about ABDL

Talking So I kinda sorta came out to a friend about ABDL

I'm moving from NJ to NOLA in a few months, so I'm making the rounds of my friends in NJ who I realize I may see very few times if ever after my move. Me and a friend were at a coffee shop yesterday and talking about a lot of things- my girlfriend, her new boyfriend, so on- and something led her to bring up My Strange Addiction. She asked if I watched it and I told her I boycott it. When asked why, I told her that I have a somewhat uncommon sexual fetish that they had an episode on that portrayed us rather like freaks. She was curious and asked a bit more, so I explained that it's uncommon enough to be something most people don't know about, but common enough that it shows up in pop culture from time to time. I also explained that while once you think about it for a minute you realize it's rather harmless though easily a bit offputting if it isn't your thing- kinda like feet. I got into how despite being benign it does lend itself well to being made fun of and we also have to deal with one certain attention-seeking pariah who always volunteers for those shows.

Then I mentioned it was also featured on an episode of CSI back when we were in college. She says "Oh, wait a minute" and looks away like she's remembering something. Then "Oh, ok. Actually I'm pretty sure I know what it is. But you were saying?" [slightly paraphrased]. And the conversation kept going on. We moved on to other things shortly after that.

It was nice to know that a good friend of mine knows what my fetish is and didn't judge me for it. In fact, she said that she knew the episode of MSA I was referring to and doesn't blame me for boycotting it. In fact, now that she knows that it was a really bastardized portrayal of us, she thinks a lot less of the show.

TL;DR: Gave a good friend enough information about my sexual fetish for her to triangulate what it was. Didn't get judged, and she actually now views us in a positive light and as normal people. Countered some of the damage Stanley did to us on My Strange Addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I'm moving from NJ to NOLA in a few months
    Ask a local in NO where to get the best creole food. You won't be disappointed.

.......... Me and a friend were at a coffee shop yesterday and talking about a lot of things- my girlfriend, her new boyfriend, so on- and something led her to bring up My Strange Addiction. She asked if I watched it and I told her I boycott it. When asked why, I told her that I have a somewhat uncommon sexual fetish that they had an episode on that portrayed us rather like freaks. She was curious and asked a bit more, so I explained that it's uncommon enough to be something most people don't know about, but common enough that it shows up in pop culture from time to time. I also explained that while once you think about it for a minute you realize it's rather harmless though easily a bit offputting if it isn't your thing- kinda like feet. I got into how despite being benign it does lend itself well to being made fun of and we also have to deal with one certain attention-seeking pariah who always volunteers for those shows.

Then I mentioned it was also featured on an episode of CSI back when we were in college. She says "Oh, wait a minute" and looks away like she's remembering something. Then "Oh, ok. Actually I'm pretty sure I know what it is. But you were saying?" [slightly paraphrased]. And the conversation kept going on. We moved on to other things shortly after that.

It was nice to know that a good friend of mine knows what my fetish is and didn't judge me for it. In fact, she said that she knew the episode of MSA I was referring to and doesn't blame me for boycotting it. In fact, now that she knows that it was a really bastardized portrayal of us, she thinks a lot less of the show.

TL;DR: Gave a good friend enough information about my sexual fetish for her to triangulate what it was. Didn't get judged, and she actually now views us in a positive light and as normal people. Countered some of the damage Stanley did to us on My Strange Addiction.
    I am suprised that your friend didn't question you further on it. In that scenario with no judgement I would be super curios in finding out what a neutral subject's thoughts would be on it.

After

"Oh, ok. Actually I'm pretty sure I know what it is. But you were saying?" [slightly paraphrased].
    , are you sure she had an accurate idea of what you may have been inferring?

I also agree that the perception of ABDL'ism has been bastardized by those appearing on tv and allowing it to be portrayed in such a way.

Well you only know, if she really got it, about what you've been talking about. So since you sound kinda sure... it's really great to hear that she's kinda open and agreed with you about abdl's are put into the spotlight on those shows!

It's always about who and how you tell this stuff, and since this sounds kinda subtle... which I like, well I have to smile right now. ^-^

Congratz anyway, that she's accepting you this way as a friend of hers.