Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does anybody need good grammar?

Default Why does anybody need good grammar?

So yeah I'm gonna be taking a test to get into a community college this fall. And as much to my demise I need to use perfect grammar. Now here's the thing, where does perfect grammar come into you life? I'm not using it now, I don't use it in my scripts, and I don't use it in my lyrics. This is more of a rant thread but modern people aren't grammar freaks.

There is a group that make tons of money using perfect grammar.
    Their is even a bunch of jokes about them and there use of good/perfect grammar.

Like this one: How many Lawyer Jokes are there?

Just this one. All of the rest are true stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91 View Post
    So yeah I'm gonna be taking a test to get into a community college this fall. And as much to my demise I need to use perfect grammar. Now here's the thing, where does perfect grammar come into you life? I'm not using it now, I don't use it in my scripts, and I don't use it in my lyrics. This is more of a rant thread but modern people aren't grammar freaks.
    Try getting a professional job where you have to communicate directly with customers. If you cannot use proper grammar, you come across as unprofessional and under-schooled. When you cannot communicate properly, it calls into question your abilities to do certain other aspects of the job. In the job I have, I regularly put out technical articles and writing and poor grammar would stick out like crazy to anybody reading it.

Egor put one other point forward that is very important to note: legal matters. If you have a job where you can be construed as a representative of the company, anything you say or write in that regard can be viewed as from the company itself. If I were to make false claims to a customer and they then have issues because of those false claims, they can sue my company for what I said. If I use improper grammar where it is difficult to discern EXACTLY what I mean, then I may as well have made false claims even if I hadn't.

Well yeah a career in the legal cluster, like journalism, is going to shove perfect grammar down your throat and expect you to regurgitate that grammar with a happy face. Like earlier when me and my mom were reading over the study guide for this test coming up, I said "let's do this thing!" but mom corrected me as saying, "it would be let's get this accomplished". All these fancy clauses and terms in grammar really don't interest me at all, and it looks like if I'm to get into college, me and that grammar shits going to have to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto91
    So yeah I'm gonna be taking a test to get into a community college this fall. And as much to my demise I need to use perfect grammar.
    Perfect? No. Up to par with professional standards in a workforce? Yes. Clarifying your points? More so.

Now here's the thing, where does perfect grammar come into you life? I'm not using it now, I don't use it in my scripts, and I don't use it in my lyrics.
    My life? Frequently. Writing scientific papers, Public relations press releases and editing content for this site. My day job at work as well.

This is more of a rant thread but modern people aren't grammar freaks.
    I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill and getting yourself in a tizzy over it, when you shouldn't be.

I'm not using it now, I don't use it in my scripts, and I don't use it in my lyrics.
    You're killing me Smalls. Community college is going to be a big eye opening experience for you, for the better.

and it looks like if I'm to get into college, me and that grammar shits going to have to get along.
    Indeed.

I know a phrase that works well in this situation: Ain't nobody got time for that.

I don't use good grammar in my speech as well, although its not ghetto bad its not butler good either. Ain't is a frequent word in my everyday speech. While I hold out for a car sales position, I'd say something like "Welcome to "the dealerships name," my names "my name," how can I help you?"

I know a phrase that works well in this situation: Ain't nobody got time for that.

I don't use good grammar in my speech as well, although its not ghetto bad its not butler good either. Ain't is a frequent word in my everyday speech.
    I have a really bad Southern/Michigan accent at times when I speak which sometimes pops up in my posts as convoluted words if I don't edit it 4 times or so (ironically).

But writing and speaking...are two different ball games. Some people write really good, but are terrible public speakers.

You'll understand it's importance soon enough.

You are so lucky to have the opportunity to go to collage and all you can do is moan about grammer.

So yeah I'm gonna be taking a test to get into a community college this fall. And as much to my demise I need to use perfect grammar. Now here's the thing, where does perfect grammar come into you life? I'm not using it now, I don't use it in my scripts, and I don't use it in my lyrics.
    The purpose of language is to communicate. The purpose of grammar is to communicate effectively and efficiently. To me, it's a matter of respect. Say that I type a big, long post on one subject or another. Obviously, if I'm investing my time (that could otherwise be spent on other pursuits), then for some reason this communication is important to me. Time is valuable, so the amount of time and effort that I put in to composing a post is a sign that I am trying to impart value to people reading it. However, I respect the time of others. I want you to read my posts, but if I respect other people's time (and I do!), I'm not going to take shortcuts when typing my post. Why? This will reduce the amount of time and energy I have to spend typing my post but increase the the time and energy that other people will need to read it. This has an inextricable implication that the person typing believes that their time is more valuable than other people's time. Why? Because you expect other people to spend more time and energy to read it, but you're not willing to spend your own to type it.

Second, this will not be PC, but you're not a PC person so I doubt you'll care. The world has smart people, people of average intelligence, and dumb people. There are a lot of opinions in the world and only so much time in my day. If you want me to invest time considering your opinion, you need to demonstrate to me that you're a person whose opinion is one that I shouldn't discard. If you lack the intelligence to compose your writing with a basal level of adherence to modern style, then I'm going to assume that you also lack the intelligence to understand the finer points of molecular biology and neurology and organismal development in a later debate about the ethics of abortion. If a person can't multiply, then it's safe to assume that they can't do calculus. If a person demonstrates that they can't understand language, then it's usually safe to assume that they can't grasp nuances of the biology, or economics, or any other field where you can't get by on common sense alone. Of course, people with relevant disabilities are decidedly an exception to this rule.

Opinions are like assholes: everybody has one. If you want anyone to take your opinions seriously, you need to demonstrate that they deserve to have them taken seriously. Having an opinion is a fundamental right. Having another person consider it is not.

Any workplace communication needs to be well written, clear and concise. Even if you are intelligent, poor grammar/spelling makes you look less so and can be seen as less than professional. While you may not like it, you will find that how others initially perceive you has a lot to do with how you communicate your ideas.