Thread: I need help in understanding my babyish habit.(My Blankie)

Smile I need help in understanding my babyish habit.(My Blankie)

When I was a toddler my grandmother gave me my first blankie. Since then I have developed the habit of rubbing the edges of the blankie between my fingers. I tried to understand why this was happening, focusing more on how it makes me feel comfortable.

Along with that, there's an accompanying habit that I can only describe as sucking my tongue. Its like sucking a pacifier without a pacifier. The thing is, I never liked pacifiers.

Can you come up with a theory that explains the individual habits and their connections to each other? I find this an interesting thing that seems more under the radar than other things like AB/DL.

I'm not a psychologist, but I think you are making a sensory connection. People on the Autism scale will do this. Sometimes there's a lot less mystery to these things. We do them either as a quirk, or more simply, it feels good, and provides some sort of comfort.

Just so happens when I was two,my mom gave me this green blanket from her mom and I just loved the corners on the blanket. I put my fingers in the fabric and the whole nine yards.

For some reason my mom thought that I liked soft silky fabrics so she gave me some soft silky fabric and I just didnt feel the same as I did with that green blanket I miss so much(its in storage from the constant moving we did when I was younger). I think its just a comfort thing if that helps you out.

I agree that its definitively sensory....that's why you see baby blankets that have so many different textures on them, different textures. I do the same thing with my blankie; it has a satin edge, furry side and smooth side and I enjoy each different texture at different times. As for the tongue thing, its probably just an oral fixation like a pacifier or thumb sucking.

I get really bad anxiety and when talking to my therapist, I'd continually rub the fabric of my t-shirt between my thumb and forefinger. I'd also jiggle my legs, tap my feet, and jiggle and tap my fingers! Apparently it's common in people who are anxious. My theory is that, when anxiety makes you feel a little over-whelmed, having a constant "sensory input" makes you feel grounded... like... even as your thoughts race and you get lost in your own thoughts, you have that one constant, reassuring, sensory input to focus on.

I reckon that's what babies do as well... and why a familiar teddy bear or a dummy/pacifier can be reassuring to them!

My therapist said that about half the people he sees rub their clothes like I do sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    My therapist said that about half the people he sees rub their clothes like I do sometimes...
    i wonder what the other half rub?

i 'stim' a lot, usually with my 'feeling cloths' (just satin material, but not silk; can't stand silk).
    along with all of what's been said, i find that stimming in this way can be relaxingly hypnotic or take me into another realm of contemplation.
    not sure about the comfort aspect of it, for me: while i don't sense any emotional comfort in the actual act of feeling, knowing that i have the option to feel is reassuring.
    and i don't consider it to be babyish. even though my feeling stim is one of my earliest memories, i have no associations with babyhood with it.

oh, aye: i'm not AB either.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    i wonder what the other half rub?

i 'stim' a lot, usually with my 'feeling cloths' (just satin material, but not silk; can't stand silk).
    along with all of what's been said, i find that stimming in this way can be relaxingly hypnotic or take me into another realm of contemplation.
    not sure about the comfort aspect of it, for me: while i don't sense any emotional comfort in the actual act of feeling, knowing that i have the option to feel is reassuring.
    and i don't consider it to be babyish. even though my feeling stim is one of my earliest memories, i have no associations with babyhood with it.

oh, aye: i'm not AB either.
    Ha ha! And I'm with you on silk (oo-er!). It feels weird and slimy! Nothing beats cotton for me. I don't really consider it babyish either (half the time I don't realise I'm doing it).

MMmmmm nothing feels like soft brushed flannel cotton type deals!! Missed my blanket from when. Was a baby's badly that unused a fleece substitute for years and grew to Love it . My husband (boyfriend at the time) bought me one of those fantastic ones from swaddle designs for my birthday one yea and love it. Been a thumb sucker since in utero but it doesn't bother me like it used to. It feels amazing to put it in, hook my finger vet y nose and lace the edge of a blankie between those fingers and then with my right hand find anther corner to rub. It's just something that feels good.