Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Build 2.0

Default PC Build 2.0

As some of you may remember last year I made a thread requesting help with a pc build, that due to financial reasons I never went through with. Well now that I'm working full time and I have the money to fund the project.

Pc build

1:*CPU : intel i5 2500k

2: Motherboard :*Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel

3: RAM : 8gb *DDR3 Kingston value

4: Power supply :*Aywun A1-650-Elite 650W

5: Graphics card :*Asus Radeon HD7850-DC2-2GD5 2GB

6: Case: Coolermaster HAF 912

7: Optical drive: undecided

8: Storage:*Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB

that is the list of parts I wanted to use any help to revise the list would be appreciated.

I want the project to cost about $1500 NZD not including OS, mouse, keyboard, monitor or speakers, but im not too stressed is it costs a bit more.

I will be getting parts from PriceSpy - Shopping Intelligence

Any help really appreciated.

For storage I retract what I recommended the last time. The Samsung Spinpoint F3's worked fine while they lasted but most of mine died/had problems after a while. I would now highly recommend the WD cavier black 1tb WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 64MB 1TB - 3.5 inch S-ATA hard disk drive - Find the lowest price, product reviews and information it's actually cheaper and more reliable. Optical drive just pick one. Lite-On iHAS324 - Optical drive - Find the lowest price, product reviews and information

Is there a reason your not doing a 3570k or AMD FX-8350? Given that PS4 and Xbox one will both be using AMD 8 cores, I would recommend a AMD FX-8350 plus it's cheaper then 3570k's but like 30 bucks here in America at least. Of course New Zealand likely pays higher rates then us.

Also do you really need a optical drive? I haven't had one in my PC since I built it. If you got a sizeable thumb drive you can just install a OS trough that.

Another thing I like to point out. If this is your second build. Why not use some of the older Parts. Like the keyboard and Mouse & Monitor. So you can wait to upgrade later and buy something Better. Like Better Monitor. Gaming keyboard and mouse.

When I build my water cool setup I will using my mouse keyboard from my old system.

Agreed, either forget about the optical drive, or cheap out on it, they can be had for next to nothing.

Instead, pick up a reasonably priced 120+ GB SSD and use that as your primary drive - the application and operating system performance running on this is phenomenal.

Don't the 2500k/3570k run circles around even the 8 core AMD offerings? I haven't returned to AMD-land since my exodus last year, but what I've read leads me to understand as such - perhaps from overzealous fanboys.

Thanks for all the help. If updated the list slightly based on your sugestions.

1:*CPU :*Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz Socket 1155

2: Motherboard :*Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel

3: RAM : 8gb *DDR3 Kingston value

4: Power supply :*Aywun A1-650-Elite 650W

5: Graphics card :*Asus Radeon HD7850-DC2-2GD5 2GB

6: Case: Coolermaster HAF 912

7: Optical drive:*Lite-On iHAS324

8: Storage:*WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 64MB 1TB

I know an optical drive is pretty worthless but I do burn the occasional cd.

Any help to further refine the list is much appreciated.

Well one trick to do if you need a optical Drive. Buy a external 3.5"USB 3.0 SATA HDD/DVD external case. So you can use Optical drive on your old system and your new system. It only $25.

I would recommend getting a SSD to run your operating system/programs on, and have your huge 1TB drive for everything else.

For those concerned with AMD being outclassed by Intel, the most expensive AMD chip is going to run around $200USD, versus Intel, which will start to become usable (IE: Not the crap that everyone didn't buy three years ago, which is now being rebadged as a lower chip type) at that price range. AMD = Budget, Intel = Raw Power, for those who can afford to replace their CPU annually. Personally, based on your budget, Intel is an okay choice, but the top AMD 8 Core would really suffice for any game on the market. If you're not quad boxing Skyrim with 73 mods active, you probably won't get an jitter from either.

My suggestion though - Don't get Kingston Value. It's *usually* fine, but you get what you pay for.

Also - A low capacity SSD isn't a bad idea, as Greendaytbfreak mentioned. 64GB should suffice, and will make your boot times stupid fast.

As the others have said, a SSD will do your stystem very well and wont have to worry about blowing away all your data if something happens to your OS

Speaking of OS what are you going to use? Windows 7 or 8?

Also you should look at the MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC video card as it has much better stats then the Asus