Thread: Dependeco diaper update

Default Dependeco diaper update

Since my original thread is closed I'm starting this updated one.
    I've now been using these diapers now for going on 6 months. I'm interested in hearing from
    anyone who has also bought them and used them in this time frame. I find that mine are holding up quite well. My diapers have never seen a washer or dryer. Only been hand washed
    and air dryed. The stiching is doing real well as well as the PUL liner. The velcro fasteners are
    just like new. I wear one everynight for overnight and don't use a stuffer anymore.
    I have 8 of these and have found the money I spent was well worth it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0121.JPG 
Views:	710 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	17164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0122.JPG 
Views:	974 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	17165

I added 2 photos of Pooh to show how he looks after 6 mos.
    Last edited by oleman72; 24-May-2013 at 18:46. Reason: added pics

I'm curious. Do you hand wash them with some sort of detergent, and is there any lingering smell after they dry? Would washing them in the washing machine quickly deteriorate them? I'm thinking I might like to get some. Do you wear them over your cloth diapers at night, and then not have to wear plastic pants since they contain PUL?

As a side note, thanks for all the interesting information you have given us on Dependeco brand. I had never heard of them until you became a member of adisc.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Would washing them in the washing machine quickly deteriorate them?
    The site claims that they are...

Quote Originally Posted by dependeco
    Fully washer and dryer safe (medium heat).
    I've flirted with the idea of getting one of their PUL covers to use with tri-folded prefolds. We used PUL covers with our little ones and they held up fine, even on high heat.

Dryer friendliness is a big deal for me; I can't imagine line-drying this stuff. The moist climate where I live probably has something to do with that, though. It's common to find, when stepping out of the shower here, that the towel I dried myself off with the day before is still slightly damp. A diaper with a built-in cover would take eons to dry, and would be stiff as a board by the time it did.

Of course, the real reason I can't line-dry my diapers is that everybody would then know I wear diapers, and there would be much finger-pointing and giggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    The site claims that they are...

I've flirted with the idea of getting one of their PUL covers to use with tri-folded prefolds. We used PUL covers with our little ones and they held up fine, even on high heat.

Dryer friendliness is a big deal for me; I can't imagine line-drying this stuff. The moist climate where I live probably has something to do with that, though. It's common to find, when stepping out of the shower here, that the towel I dried myself off with the day before is still slightly damp. A diaper with a built-in cover would take eons to dry, and would be stiff as a board by the time it did.

Of course, the real reason I can't line-dry my diapers is that everybody would then know I wear diapers, and there would be much finger-pointing and giggling.
    Let them giggle while you laugh at their silliness ,
    best of luck cottontail,
    from fellow daily cloth user.

Guys to answer your questions on laundring these diapers. I hand wash them in Arm&Hammer with Oxi Clean detergent. I then hang them in the the shower and let them
    drip out. Then they finish air drying witch takes about 24 hrs. I only reason I do this is I don't have access to laundry facilities. I let them soak in my detergent for about
    1 to 2 hrs before I wash them out. When I first take my wet diaper off I rinse it out in the sink before I put it in the pail. So far doing it this way I've never had any pee
    smell come from them. To get all the soap out I clamp them right over the shower head and let the water run till I no longer see soap coming out. I usally let the water
    about 7 to 10 minutes. I turn them once on the shower head to make sure there rinsed well. Another I found is to hang them from the back so the water drips out on
    front. The back elastic sort of acts like a dam on letting the wate drip out.

Dogboy to answer your other question I only wear the Dependeco. It has a sewn in 4 ply soaker pad. When new you need to use a soaker pad with
    the diaper till there washed at least 6 times when they get there full absorbtion. It could also depend on if your a heavy wetter or not.

I dry mine in the dryer in medium heat. I also machine wash mine, but I haven't had time to use them too often.

In terms of wearing just the AIO, I have noticed that the diaper does get damp and there will be slight wet-ness around where the elastic touches your skin. I don't think it is "leaking", but the liquid is being pressed out near where the elastic meets your skin due to body weight.

I really like mine personally so I'm satisfied, I wish it was more water-resistant than it is right now though.