Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my next computer need opinions.

Default my next computer need opinions.

Here is the hardware i got planed out at the bottom is the picture of the tower i bought what is your opinions on this set up? too much, not enough i am wanting a pc that will be fairly powerful and be able to keep up with technology changes for next 10-20 years
    as well as capable of heavy gaming and running 3 HD monitors.

APEVIA X-TROOPER Series X-TRP-RD Black / Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case:

NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS:

Galaxy 68NPH6DV5ZGV GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card:

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power supply:

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ( may upgrade to 16GB or possibly up to 32GB if need arises though not likely on 32GB)

Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N128GB3-BK 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (main OS and installed program drive):

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back

INTELLINET Network Solutions 524810 Wireless PCI Card IEEE 802.11b/g/n/e PCI Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates WPA2:

Western Digital WD Black WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (may go smaller to conserve money but as of now it stands at 4TB)

Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER Illuminated KB-CHL002USB Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard

Genius GX-Gaming Gila Black 12 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired 8200 dpi MMO/RTS Professional Gaming Mouse

RAZER BlackShark 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Expert 2.0 Gaming Headset (i may go with something different or cheaper later)

ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor (going to have 3 of these)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-TRP-RD-1_250.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	17163

Well you already fail if you think it will last 10 to 20 years. At the most it will last 5 to 7 yeas. Just because computer tend to get better over time. The only way you can do something close is upgrade some parts to keep the computer close to the Mid range system.

See I had a system with a P4 Gallatin XE system in 2004 It lasted until 2012. I watch it go from Super fast to Mid range to Low end and even upgrading graphics card did not help much.

10 years is a stretch for any computer, the shell might be the only thing that will be useful.

I agree about the 10-20 years estimate... the uber expensive 486DX I used 20 years ago wouldn't just be obsolete (if the electronics hadn't actually physically died about 15 years ago) it would be a museum piece from a bygone era. Even the Athlon 2100 that I rocked 10 years ago is hopelessly outclasses by most or all modern low-power x86 CPUs.

Otherwise, this all looks great, though I'd opt for more RAM out of the box - it looks like you're going all out for many of these parts, so why not maximize RAM right off the bat?

If graphics and reliability are key, I'd go with ASUS or Apple. That is all.

One thing to note since you mentioned that you want to use a triple monitor setup is that if you want to actually play games at 5760x1080 (i.e. use all three HD monitors in one game), with AA and all the other graphical nice features, at 60fps, you might have to start looking into SLI/Crossfire. The 680 is a good card, but 5760x1080 is a very heavy load.

In fact, by these benchmarks for BF3, a single 680 barely breaks 30fps at 5760x1080. Metro 2033 also barely breaks 30fps at that high a resolution. 30fps might be fine for you, if it's stable, but if a game is getting 30fps on average, it implies it spends about half the time below 30fps which is not good.

If you intend to only use a single 1080p monitor, then a single 680 will get you a very good framerate in all current games. Desktop multi-monitor usage isn't that demanding, and even my years old mid-range Radeon 5770 does 3840x1080 for desktop usage with 0 issues (but it'd absolutely fall over if I tried to run a game at that resolution).

Also, 10 years is infeasible. An expensive gaming computer will stay high end for about 2 years usually, and usable for games 6-7 years (hardware failure excluded). At the end of those seven years though, you'll be dropping settings down all over the place, assuming game demands keep growing at the pace they have until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambusa View Post
    Nope. If you want a graphically powerful PC, avoid Apple. The best you can get is dual Radeon 5770s (from a Mac Pro, despite having two cards this is about equivalent to a 5850 which is nothing to write home about) or a 680MX in the iMac (which is about equivalent to Geforce 660).

Quote Originally Posted by Bambusa View Post
    the mother board is ASUS. and most of the components are corsair. the graphics are nvidia though im still having troubble deciding if i want to stay at 2GB or go up from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    One thing to note since you mentioned that you want to use a triple monitor setup is that if you want to actually play games at 5760x1080 (i.e. use all three HD monitors in one game), with AA and all the other graphical nice features, at 60fps, you might have to start looking into SLI/Crossfire. The 680 is a good card, but 5760x1080 is a very heavy load.

In fact, by these benchmarks for BF3, a single 680 barely breaks 30fps at 5760x1080. Metro 2033 also barely breaks 30fps at that high a resolution. 30fps might be fine for you, if it's stable, but if a game is getting 30fps on average, it implies it spends about half the time below 30fps which is not good.

If you intend to only use a single 1080p monitor, then a single 680 will get you a very good framerate in all current games. Desktop multi-monitor usage isn't that demanding, and even my years old mid-range Radeon 5770 does 3840x1080 for desktop usage with 0 issues (but it'd absolutely fall over if I tried to run a game at that resolution).

Also, 10 years is infeasible. An expensive gaming computer will stay high end for about 2 years usually, and usable for games 6-7 years (hardware failure excluded). At the end of those seven years though, you'll be dropping settings down all over the place, assuming game demands keep growing at the pace they have until now.

Nope. If you want a graphically powerful PC, avoid Apple. The best you can get is dual Radeon 5770s (from a Mac Pro, despite having two cards this is about equivalent to a 5850 which is nothing to write home about) or a 680MX in the iMac (which is about equivalent to Geforce 660).
    gaming will only be one monitor for performance on a regular basis though i may branch out to all 3 as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    10 years is a stretch for any computer, the shell might be the only thing that will be useful.
    Possibly... although i still have a 2003 toshiba laptop, although its life is ending, a few problems are rearing their ugly heads, cooling being one of them, it can still run fairly decent games, such as command and conquer generals, red alert 2, the sims 2 and all expansion packs relatively framerate drop free

Get an
    i7 (seriously if you're going for long term.)
    8-16gb of ram DDR3 1600mhz
    A SSD large sata III
    A radon 7970+ or equivalent navida.
    Z77+ mobo
    A good case. With cable management.

That's the "best" system you can build right now. Really, that's a 5yr system for med use at the end. 7 at low end at the ending.

I'd get 2 2tb HDD's and a raid card. And two SSD's if you had the money.

on the monitor's make the choice wisely you will be keeping them in the end.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about this stuff. So pm me if you're wondering about stuff. I'm not a "fanboy" I build for the need/want.

Quote Originally Posted by firestopper View Post
    Possibly... although i still have a 2003 toshiba laptop, although its life is ending, a few problems are rearing their ugly heads, cooling being one of them, it can still run fairly decent games, such as command and conquer generals, red alert 2, the sims 2 and all expansion packs relatively framerate drop free
    I suppose depending on one's definition of usefulness, just about anything can work so long as your expectations don't evolve with time. The only game in that mix that somewhat surprises me is Sims 2 - I always found it a bit more taxing and slow-running than 3, though to be fair I don't think I ran both on the same system. I love all of those games dearly, especially RA2, but they're all verging on antiques these days. Could this 10 year old wonder play something (with 24+ fps) like the original Crysis, which itself is a vintage title from nearly six years ago? I know my aging 2009 vintage video card can survive the AAA titles from 2013 (perhaps with lower detail settings), but I have realistic expectations that I won't be able to say this into 2014, so I must get with the times, because my definition of usefulness is to be able to keep up with modern advances and play all the shiny and wonderful titles, even if I still gravitate toward the 20 year old Master of Orion.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Get an
    i7 (seriously if you're going for long term.)
    8-16gb of ram DDR3 1600mhz
    A SSD large sata III
    A radon 7970+ or equivalent navida.
    Z77+ mobo
    A good case. With cable management.

That's the "best" system you can build right now. Really, that's a 5yr system for med use at the end. 7 at low end at the ending.

I'd get 2 2tb HDD's and a raid card. And two SSD's if you had the money.

on the monitor's make the choice wisely you will be keeping them in the end.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about this stuff. So pm me if you're wondering about stuff. I'm not a "fanboy" I build for the need/want.
    I totally agree with the first three items, especially the bigger allotment of RAM - I'm not enough of a videocard or motherboard nerd to comment on these selections, but I'm sure they're great.

Why would he want/need two SSD's? Would those go in RAID as well to boost performance? I need to do some checking on that, I've never set up a RAID before, I just have the one SSD and it's wickedly fast even after nearly a year of constant use.